PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone...New Member from PA here

JimAlbert
11-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Hey guys.. New member here from eastern PA. As far as a little information on myself, I am the corporate technical trainer for one of the major MSO's in the US and have a few toys that I like to keep in as good of condition as I can, hence my interest in detailing like a pro. I have limited experience detailing but I did restore a BassCat Bass Boat at one time and work the Gel pretty well. Primarily wet sanding in progression to 2000+ grit and then polishing with 3M perfect it II and then sealing. I had extremely good results.

I also have another boat (aluminum, that doesnt take much to clean) and my beloved Vermillion Red F250 Crew Cab.

After I read a bunch of information on this forum I purchased a HF DA polisher (29.99 with the 20% off) so I am ready to take care of these mild water spots on this F250. I read many posts that suggested purchasing a 5.5" backing plate and using the smaller pads. Is that just because the 5.5" pads are more economical or is it because the HF pad sucks?

Also, if you would have to recommend 3 products (compound, polish, or combo, and wax) to maintain this truck what would they be? Also what pads would you recommend? I assume a medium-heavy for the compound and a fine for the polish?

Thanks for all of the help, you guys make this forum an extremely useful resource for newbies and professionals.

Jim

PA DETAILER
11-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Welcome from PA. Enjoy the forum. Tons of good people and tips here.

Mike Phillips
11-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Hi Jim,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Check out this article as there's lots of good info in it (not just the part about marking your backing plate)

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

There's a pad recommendation in the above article too, basically stick with 5.5" foam pads and get a 5" backing plate for your DA polishers. The links are in the thread to the store to get these things if you scan through the thread.

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Hi Jim, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

JimAlbert
11-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the responses so far guys... I wanted to add a picture of my truck and I forgot to add it, so here it is. The only thing that has changed that isn't shown in this picture is I added a chrome bug guard, red letters in the chrome grill, access soft tonneau cover and chrome letters below the tailgate in the rear. Aside from the fact that the truck is huge, there is tons of chrome to take care of also. What do you guys use for chrome?

http://s12.postimg.org/gjzy0911p/photo_1.jpg

Jim

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Welcome to AGO

GS2011
11-10-2015, 04:39 PM
:welcome:

Pats300zx
11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Welcome to AGO Jim.

MDX Detailing