PDA

View Full Version : New Member in Sunny South FL

Pages : [1] 2

Joshwaa
11-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Hello all,

My name is Josh as you may have figured. Live in way to sunny South Florida. I am proud dad of 5 kids. I enjoy camping, gaming, wilderness hikes, shooting, boating, computers, detailing, and doing pretty much anything that makes my kids happy. I am the director of a Company that owns 2 self-storage locations, 180 apartments and 5000 acres of hunting land. Yes, my work keeps me plenty busy. So on to the vehicle part.

I am the proud owner of a Brand Spankin' New Ram 4x4 Laramie w/Airride. It had 4.5 miles on it when I got it. Had only been sitting on the car lot for 2 days. I feel really lucky for that. Tried posting the day when I got it but had to wait for verification. I have used the forum for quite some time. The info here is outstanding. Thanks to all who contribute. My previous Dodge Ram was a white 2005 that I got with 9,000 miles on it. With all the help I found here it still looks good after 10 years. My son has that truck now and I hope the paint has many more years to give to him. So my new truck 2016 Ram 1500 with black paint. It is a garage kept truck. Since I got it I used Chem Guys Mr Pink to wash it. Then went over it with Klasse Hi Gloss Sealant. Then after 24 hrs of letting the Klasse set I went over the whole truck with Pinnacle Signature series 2 (its what I had on hand). The truck came out great. I am sure there are other things that would do better but like I said it's what I had. I would like any opinions on what would do better on the truck. I do not know if you are familiar with the 2016 Ram black paint but it is a metallic with all different color flecks in it. Looks really good IMO.

Also on another note. My truck this morning got its first boo-boo. I was sitting in the school parking lot this morning to drop off my daughter and one of the school employee's pulled up in the spot next to me and just flung his door open right into the back fender of my truck. Needless to say I wanted to strangle the guy but resisted the urge. It did not do too much damage. I am guessing it might have something to do with the excellent protection I put on the truck last weekend. I ran my finger over it and you can hardly feel anything in the clear coat. So I could use some pointers on fixing that. I have an appt this evening to have it appraised at a Geico shop as the offender and I both have Geico insurance. However I do not think I want to leave my brand new truck in their hands for them just to do some buffing or possible light wet sanding. Plus every time I have seen anyone get a car back from an auto body shop it always come out with more overspray and swirl marks than when it went in. So would really like some opinions and info on what to do about that.

Thank you all for reading an in advance for any help or opinions you can give.

Joshwaa
11-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Here are some pictures of the damage. It's hard to see plus my photo skills leave much to be desired.

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2015, 01:29 PM
1st off Welcome to AGO!!!! IMO That is fixable based on the pictures. I can't tell if there is a dent or not, however, the paint looks fixable with a compound and polish. It does not look too bad (from what I can tell without physically being there).

DO IT YOURSELF!!!! PERIOD!!!!! Do not get any one else involved as they may make things worse.

THE OTHER OPTION: Since you live in Florida, there are quite a few AWESOME Detailers on this site that may be able to take care of that for you. I would call AGO and inquire or post on this site.

You will get nothing but excellent opinions as well as excellent talent to assist you in the form of a Detail.

Try this approach.

Have an awesome day and again, based on what I can tell it is fixable!!

Here is a couple of pics on a RAM that I worked on. It shows how bad to finished. Any of the AGO guys can do the same thing!!!

Peace!!

GS2011
11-10-2015, 01:43 PM
:welcome:

Joshwaa
11-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks Kamakaz1961 for the advice. Thanks GS2011 for the welcome.

@Kamakaz1961 there is no dent and you can hardly tell the damage is there. Could you tell me what your recommendation would be for a fix. I would like if at all possible to fix it myself. Like what compound and what polish. Also which CCS pad to use. Also why I am on the subject what DA do you use when you detail. Thanks again.

johnpingol
11-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Welcome to AG, also live in the Lake Worth area.

Sicoupe
11-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Welcome aboard!

ronkh57
11-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Hello from Englewood

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks Kamakaz1961 for the advice. Thanks GS2011 for the welcome.

@Kamakaz1961 there is no dent and you can hardly tell the damage is there. Could you tell me what your recommendation would be for a fix. I would like if at all possible to fix it myself. Like what compound and what polish. Also which CCS pad to use. Also why I am on the subject what DA do you use when you detail. Thanks again.

I like Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 (others prefer SF4000). Another excellent product is Wolfgang or the Meguiar's brand. If you want a decent DA that is reasonably priced get the PC7424 XP or the Griot's Garage 6" DA. The price is about the same but the GG6 is more powerful and comes with a Lifetime warranty. These 2 DA's are great for starters. If you so desire to upgrade there is the Flex 3401, The Boss 21/15 and the Rupes Mark II's 21/15 (these just came out). This is like a Ford (Flex), Chevy (Rupes) and Dodge (Griots Garage Boss) battle and ALL are excellent choices. I am a Ford guy so I like the Flex...LOL

The majority of the AGO people here prefer the GG6. I would look into a kit that AGO sells. As for Pads, you can't go wrong with any of the Lake Country Pads. For the compounding (removing the scratch) get an Orange Lake Country CCS Pad or equivalent (no more than 5 - 5.5 Inch pad). You would use FG400 for that. As for Polishing (cleaning up the compounding or scratch removal) I would look into the CCS White Pad. The product you would use is SF4000/4500. I am a Menzerna fan and I know there are other brands that are just as good. AGO sells them all.

Additionally, many of the AGO guys I see are responding that they (I assume) live near your area. Either way you will be in great hands with AGO.

Additionally, get one of Mike Phillips Books on how to detail. That contains a tremendous amount of information that will make you a great detailer. I hope this helps.

Joshwaa
11-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Awesome info thank you. Greatly appreciated.

FrankS
11-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Welcome to AGO!

I live in West Palm Beach, I could come and take a look at it and see what tools and products you have and give you a recommendation.

I can also bring some of my stuff in case yours doesn't work. I would be glad to help you out.

Let me know.

Frank

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Great advice CJ. :xyxthumbs:

Joshwaa
11-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Well good news. I guess the all the waxing I did on the weekend really payed off. When I went to get the estimate it started to rain. The adjuster wiped the place where the damage was and it wiped right off. I am sure there are probably some scratches or damage to be fixed. I will inspect it after I wash it hopefully today. Goes to show how a great wax/protection on your paint can really pay off.

antti@561detailing
11-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Hi Joshwaa, and welcome to Autogeek.

Welcome to AGO!

I live in West Palm Beach, I could come and take a look at it and see what tools and products you have and give you a recommendation.

I can also bring some of my stuff in case yours doesn't work. I would be glad to help you out.

Let me know.

Frank

Frank, you are still on a east coast?
Thought you moved already...

Joshwaa, I am also in the area.

Joshwaa
11-12-2015, 10:52 AM
I have looked for detailers before in the area that I thought I could trust with my cars. Had a few failed attempts. One wanted to claybar my truck before washing, kicked him to the curb before he could start. Then had a good one that did my truck then never showed up for the second appointment. However I come say "hi" here and now there are multiple from what I can tell "Real Detailers" saying high back. I really love this forum.