PDA

View Full Version : Can a car be too new for a coating?

DetailDrivenEugene
11-09-2015, 09:25 AM
I had a customer contact me about the vehicle they bought yesterday. They want the paint polished to get rid of the dealer installed defects, and a coating applied. I had them bring it to me to have a look in person.

It is a brand new jeep wrangler Rubicon 4 door in black. The manufacturing tag in the doorjamb has the date as 9-15. This tells me the vehicle could be a little over a month old, if it was assembled in the end of September.

Am I good to go, as far as putting Wolfgang coating on it? I worked in body shops for years, and we always told customers to wait 3 months before using any wax or sealant, so I want to be absolutely sure it is safe to coat paint this new.

Thanks in advance!

B

richy
11-09-2015, 09:31 AM
I had a customer contact me about the vehicle they bought yesterday. They want the paint polished to get rid of the dealer installed defects, and a coating applied. I had them bring it to me to have a look in person.

It is a brand new jeep wrangler Rubicon 4 door in black. The manufacturing tag in the doorjamb has the date as 9-15. This tells me the vehicle could be a little over a month old, if it was assembled in the end of September.

Am I good to go, as far as putting Wolfgang coating on it? I worked in body shops for years, and we always told customers to wait 3 months before using any wax or sealant, so I want to be absolutely sure it is safe to coat paint this new.

Thanks in advance!

B

No worries whatsoever. The only time you need to wait is after a body shop has shot a panel...that needs a month to outgas whereas the paint done at the factory has been baked to high heat and is good to go. I've coated a bunch of brand new vehicles.

DetailDrivenEugene
11-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks Richy!
I figured that was a case, but don't want to take any chances.

Mike Phillips
11-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Thanks in advance!

B

The paint is fully cured and hardened by the time it rolls out of the assembly plant.

So you're good to go...

:xyxthumbs:

DetailDrivenEugene
11-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks Mike!

oldmodman
11-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Never to early with factory applied paint. A repaint is another thing entirely. With a repaint it would be too much to wait three months.

But the very best time to coat a new car is before any damage has been done to it. Either by improper wash methods, or an incompetent dealer "detail shop"

The best clear coat is a brand new, as thick as it will ever be clear coat.

GSKR
11-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Mike said it,your Good to go.