PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating for mobile detailing

Delsil
11-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of threads and posts on these forums about ceramic coatings but I guess that is why I am asking on here because there are a lot and not sure where to look. I have a mobile detailing business serving Northern Delaware and Southeast PA. I have been detailing since 1992 but just starting to look into paint coatings. I have had several customers ask me if I do it but mentioned to them I am looking to start it very soon. Can anyone give recommendations of ceramic coating products that can be done outdoors? I am completely mobile and do not have a shop.
Thanks,
Tom

ryandamartini
11-08-2015, 10:43 PM
If there was a quick apply product able to be used outdoors in the sun, could give the durability of a coating, and had easy application favorable to mobile...

The coatings being used right now wouldn't be quite as prevalent. No such animal exists in my opinion.

conman1395
11-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Mobile in the sense that you can apply it in their garage, then yes you can use many coatings. But if you're restricted to outside only application, then no.

Muddyoldgoat
11-08-2015, 11:09 PM
I am mobile as well and offer coatings. I let the customer know when booking that I need a garage to apply the coating.

wn1998
11-09-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm not a professional detailing for a living but wouldn't adding a coating to your arsenal cut down on your job for that individual? I mean if you have a customer willing to pay for great work and you sell them a coating that will last years not months, isn't that cutting your bottom line?

wouldn't it be more profitable to offer them a high grade sealant and offer them your services to reapply 2-3 times per year?

I'm assuming the average customer would go to you more than 1x per year.

Sorry about the thread jack.

DasBurninator
11-09-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm not a professional detailing for a living but wouldn't adding a coating to your arsenal cut down on your job for that individual? I mean if you have a customer willing to pay for great work and you sell them a coating that will last years not months, isn't that cutting your bottom line?

wouldn't it be more profitable to offer them a high grade sealant and offer them your services to reapply 2-3 times per year?

I'm assuming the average customer would go to you more than 1x per year.

Sorry about the thread jack.

Not necessarily. The car still needs to be maintained and washed. Coatings may last 18-24 months, but not without proper care. You are also charging a significant amount more to apply a coating. Not to mention the rest of the car still needs cleaned and dressed regularly.

A coating doesn't mean the car is magically going to stay clean.

RPM_BR
11-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Pinnacle BL Surface Coating and Duragloss Enviroshield are pretty safe ceramic coatings to be used in the open, as long as the panel is not hot and you level it with a mf some 30 seconds after you coat it. PBL is quite pricey, but you'll coat some 20 cars, and you can also coat windows as well. Duragloss is a nice cost benefit.

I use it when I do mobile detailings, and never had an issue.

Avoid SiO2 based coatings when doing mobile, though, they are trickier and need a covered environment.

All the best

Delsil
11-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I appreciate all the responses. Just to clear things up I would say 90% of my clients have garages and I would say someone looking to spend that type of money on a coating would most certainly have a garage. Is it not advisable to do it in the open in a shaded area? I am not looking for something that can be done in the sun as I do not do that now with my other detailing. I would think there is a client base that wants that long term protection other than a sealant or wax. Also is there any videos showing application for a coating?

GSKR
11-09-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm mobile in south Florida ,the only coating from experience out doors is Blackfire coating there is very little shade to find down here.Tried cq UK outside in the sun and forget it.your climate maybe suitable to more of a option using coatings but in fla with the heat I have limitations as far as coatings .

SameGuy
11-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Have you considered investing in a knockoff EZ-up canopy?

GSKR
11-10-2015, 06:49 AM

I'm dealing with the sun and extreme humidity ,putting up one or two canopies would be a struggle and struggle I don't want thanks for the advice .

Delsil
11-10-2015, 09:12 PM
I have used my 12x12 canopy rarely in the past when I know there is absolutely no chance of shade or a garage.

medicscott
11-10-2015, 09:35 PM
PBL can 100% be done outside as long as the temperature is not too hot or too cold. I've done 30+ outside with no issues whatsoever. Optimal? No...but the job gets done. I do bring it indoors for the infrared light drying process if the sun isn't out.