PDA

View Full Version : Using a Glaze

cartract
11-08-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm part way through paint correction on a brand new Black GMC Canyon. I have completed wash, Ironx, Clay, and twice over with Megs 105 using both orange pad and a Girots microfiber pad. I've got most of the damage corrected that the stupid wash boy at the dealership did...struggling a little with both front fenders where the Tech apparently leaned over the fender without covering it. I'll hit that once more with Menzerna 4500. My question, since the truck is black....should I used a Glaze prior to using the Pinnacle Cleansing Polish, then the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating? Will the Cleansing polish remove the Glaze? Thanks for your help. The final two steps I have planned is the Black Label Surface Coating, then the Black Label Wax over the coating.

FUNX650
11-08-2015, 05:34 PM
IMHO:
Do not apply the Glaze whenever
a Coating is going to be the LSP.

The Cleansing Polish will already have
enough "prep-work" to do, without having
to also remove the Glaze's residues, etc.

Bob

cartract
11-08-2015, 06:55 PM
IMHO:
Do not apply the Glaze whenever
a Coating is going to be the LSP.

The Cleansing Polish will already have
enough "prep-work" to do, without having
to also remove the Glaze's residues, etc.

Bob

Thanks Bob...thought that might be the case.

Mantilgh
11-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Tell us how the coating goes if you could please.

I almost picked this up the other week when they had it on sale and had the discount running too. Sounds like a great product.

cartract
11-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Tell us how the coating goes if you could please.

I almost picked this up the other week when they had it on sale and had the discount running too. Sounds like a great product.

Will do...probably the end of the week before I get it on there...I still have some paint correction to get done.

Mike Phillips
11-10-2015, 12:07 PM
I'll hit that once more with Menzerna 4500.

This would be your last finish polishing step before chemically stripping the paint for the coating. The Menzerna SF 4500 will remove any remaining minor imperfects perfecting the finish as much as possible after the correction step.

My question, since the truck is black....

should I used a Glaze prior to using the Pinnacle Cleansing Polish, then the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating?

No.

The glaze will add nothing to the results created by the SF 4500 and neither will the cleansing polish.

So much confusion on the cleansing polish. It's an EITHER/OR product.

You either compound and polish the paint and then go to the sealing step OR after washing and drying use a cleansing polish before applying a wax, sealant or chemically stripping the paint for a coating.

You don't use cleansing polishes or what are called pre-wax cleaners if you have already performed a dedicated polishing step. The cleansing polish step would be redundant and would not add any improvement.

Will the Cleansing polish remove the Glaze?

Yes but you shouldn't use it.

Thanks for your help. The final two steps I have planned is the Black Label Surface Coating, then the Black Label Wax over the coating.

You need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using a coating.

:)

cartract
11-10-2015, 04:44 PM
This would be your last finish polishing step before chemically stripping the paint for the coating. The Menzerna SF 4500 will remove any remaining minor imperfects perfecting the finish as much as possible after the correction step.

No.

The glaze will add nothing to the results created by the SF 4500 and neither will the cleansing polish.

So much confusion on the cleansing polish. It's an EITHER/OR product.

You either compound and polish the paint and then go to the sealing step OR after washing and drying use a cleansing polish before applying a wax, sealant or chemically stripping the paint for a coating.

You don't use cleansing polishes or what are called pre-wax cleaners if you have already performed a dedicated polishing step. The cleansing polish step would be redundant and would not add any improvement.

Yes but you shouldn't use it.

You need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using a coating.

Mike you say I need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using the coating.....I'm using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating....is using the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish my last step prior to applying the coating......that is what I'm reading under the product directions on this website....or do I need something else? I don't want to screw this up!!!! Thanks.

expdetailing
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
The cleansing polish is the last product to be used prior to the coating.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
11-10-2015, 07:35 PM
IMO dont even glaze before waxing or sealing.

Glaze is a artificial shine that lingers in the paint and does not last long.

So how are you going to get the best bond when there is glaze underneath.

That is just my opinion i can be wrong.

Mike Phillips
11-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Mike you say I need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using the coating.....

Yes that is the recommended protocol from every coating manufacturer that I'm aware of. The idea being the coating needs an ABSOLUTELY clean surface in order to form a proper bond.

This means removing any of the polishing oils and any other substance used in compounds, polishes and paint cleaners.

I'm using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating....is using the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish my last step prior to applying the coating......

Yes.

I've written a new book that deals with this topic that is not published yet. What I say, show and practice myself is to wipe the car down TWICE after using the Cleansing Polish because you want to make sure that all the trace residues from this product and process are removed before applying a coating.

Kind of like when a painter paints a car the most important aspect or factor besides doing the proper body work is to properly prepare the surface for the primer and then the paint otherwise there will be issues with surface adhesion.

So take your time and go around the car twice using clean, soft microfiber towels and wipe each square inch of each panel complete clean before applying the coating.

that is what I'm reading under the product directions on this website....or do I need something else? I don't want to screw this up!!!!

Thanks.

You're reading correctly.

I think I misunderstood the order you were going to use and I though you were going to use a glaze or paint cleaner last and then apply the coating and this would be incorrect.

The last step before applying any coating is to chemically strip the paint in some fashion.

cartract
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Yes that is the recommended protocol from every coating manufacturer that I'm aware of. The idea being the coating needs an ABSOLUTELY clean surface in order to form a proper bond.

This means removing any of the polishing oils and any other substance used in compounds, polishes and paint cleaners.

Yes.

I've written a new book that deals with this topic that is not published yet. What I say, show and practice myself is to wipe the car down TWICE after using the Cleansing Polish because you want to make sure that all the trace residues from this product and process are removed before applying a coating.

Kind of like when a painter paints a car the most important aspect or factor besides doing the proper body work is to properly prepare the surface for the primer and then the paint otherwise there will be issues with surface adhesion.

So take your time and go around the car twice using clean, soft microfiber towels and wipe each square inch of each panel complete clean before applying the coating.

You're reading correctly.

I think I misunderstood the order you were going to use and I though you were going to use a glaze or paint cleaner last and then apply the coating and this would be incorrect.

The last step before applying any coating is to chemically strip the paint in some fashion.

Thanks Mike....I really appreciate your timely response and help. I'm now totally clear on what I'm doing and ready to get the task completed.

Paul A.
11-11-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't want to extend the discussion to introduce any more confusion here on this topic but i am also looking at the PBL coating product and would like to fully understand the cleansing polish function. I believe we are all clear on not glazing but as far as finish steps...

The OP initially said he was about halfway through his correction phase enroute to the final LSP. After M105, i ALWAYS need a refinement step that is abrasive (mildly speaking). My favorite is also Menz 4500. Ok, lets say i am now happy with the gloss, depth of finish etc. after 4500. Do i now use Eraser and coat or does the PBL final cleansing polish replace Eraser? Basically, does the PBL Cleansing Polish follow Menz 4500 for any compatability factors with the coating?

Again, gang, sorry for any more confusion here but just trying to understand the exact and preferred steps for PBL coating. Let me offer it this way:

A.
1. Correction (full and down to refined finish)
2. Eraser (or any method you want for removing oils, carriers etc.)
3. pBL coating

B
1. Full correction (M105, Menz 4500)
2. PBL Surface Cleansing Polish
3. PBL Coating

C
2. PBL Cleansing Polish
3. Eraser (or your preferred paint cleaner)
4. Coating

Or D, something else. I think i'm reading here Option A is best. As Mike said above, the PBL Cleanser is redundant over Menz SF4500?

My intent is to completely understand the final prep step to promote the best bond of the coating and thus maximize durability.

Natron
11-11-2015, 10:00 PM
For what it's worth, I've had my PBL Surface coating on for over 6 months and waxes and sealants don't stick to it very easy yet. ( I try a spot now and then for fun).

StangFan25
11-12-2015, 12:21 AM
I don't want to extend the discussion to introduce any more confusion here on this topic but i am also looking at the PBL coating product and would like to fully understand the cleansing polish function. I believe we are all clear on not glazing but as far as finish steps...

The OP initially said he was about halfway through his correction phase enroute to the final LSP. After M105, i ALWAYS need a refinement step that is abrasive (mildly speaking). My favorite is also Menz 4500. Ok, lets say i am now happy with the gloss, depth of finish etc. after 4500. Do i now use Eraser and coat or does the PBL final cleansing polish replace Eraser? Basically, does the PBL Cleansing Polish follow Menz 4500 for any compatability factors with the coating?

Again, gang, sorry for any more confusion here but just trying to understand the exact and preferred steps for PBL coating. Let me offer it this way:

A.
1. Correction (full and down to refined finish)
2. Eraser (or any method you want for removing oils, carriers etc.)
3. pBL coating

B
2. PBL Surface Cleansing Polish
3. PBL Coating

C
2. PBL Cleansing Polish
3. Eraser (or your preferred paint cleaner)
4. Coating

Or D, something else. I think i'm reading here Option A is best. As Mike said above, the PBL Cleanser is redundant over Menz SF4500?

My intent is to completely understand the final prep step to promote the best bond of the coating and thus maximize durability.

A or B would work. Eraser and the cleansing polish do the same thing.

Paul A.
11-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Thanks stangfan, that's what i was thinking but just wanted to clarify with some of you folks more experienced. I gathered that from reading through this thread but inhaling silica dust for so many years has possibly adjusted my cognitive abilities a bit!

I do like "family" compatability and might prefer option B however i do like the performance of Eraser and knowing it has done its job. I guess i was just leery of what PBL Cleanser left behind. At least we know 1.) glazes are useless here and 2.) Eraser/iso alc wipes are redundant to PBL Surface Cleansing Polish.

Thanks again for clarifying.