PDA

View Full Version : I need some help protecting my new-ish car!

Pages : [1] 2

jmp4golfvw
11-08-2015, 09:39 AM
I saw a post where a guy was looking for suggestions on protecting his newish car. I think he was looking for an inexpensive option, rather than a high priced coating, as am I. Unfortunately, not many commented on his post so I thought I'd try. One difference though is that I'll be doing the work myself...

I have a relatively new VW Golf, it's black and stays outside, uncovered (no carport or anything). It does have some minor swirl/scratch (nothing major at all) from what I assume was the dealers idea of detailing a car upon delivery to me lol. Anyway, what would you all suggest to use to protect (especially now that winter is upon us) and beautify the paintwork? Btw, I don't have a DA yet, so no matter the product or step I'll be applying whatever it is by hand. I will have a DA eventually, so if the suggestions for products/steps would be differ for that done "by hand" let me know...Thanks in advance for all your help...this forum is a godsend [emoji6]

P.S...I forgot to ask 2 things:

1. What to use on the wheels to protect them?

2. Is there a coating that is DIY friendly (have never applied), but effective and isn't crazy expensive?

• 2015 VW Golf SEL1.8L TSI w/ LP •

PA DETAILER
11-08-2015, 09:45 AM
JMO. Go for a good pre wax cleaner. Then hit it with prima hydro max. Maintain it with prima wax as you dry. This is a foolproof easy system that will yeild stellar results. And very easy!

Wheels i would use a coating. I have DP WHEEL COAT on. This stuff lasts and protects! Here are the links.....

Prima Hydro MAX Super Spray Polymer (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-max.html)

If you want to stick with the prima line, here is a good pre cleaner....

Prima Amigo Pre-Wax Cleanser & Gloss Enhancer, Prima prewax polish (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-amigo-cleanser.html)

Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html)

Detailer’s Wheel Coating, wheel wax, wheel sealant, brake dust repellent (http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-coating.html)

Thats my 3- step program.

jmp4golfvw
11-08-2015, 03:44 PM
JMO. Go for a good pre wax cleaner. Then hit it with prima hydro max. Maintain it with prima wax as you dry. This is a foolproof easy system that will yeild stellar results. And very easy!

Wheels i would use a coating. I have DP WHEEL COAT on. This stuff lasts and protects! Here are the links.....

Prima Hydro MAX Super Spray Polymer (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-max.html)

If you want to stick with the prima line, here is a good pre cleaner....

Prima Amigo Pre-Wax Cleanser & Gloss Enhancer, Prima prewax polish (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-amigo-cleanser.html)

Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html)

Detailer’s Wheel Coating, wheel wax, wheel sealant, brake dust repellent (http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-coating.html)

Thats my 3- step program.

I've never tried Prima products before, I'll have to give em a try. How is that DP wheel coating to apply? Could a novice (though a quick learner) do it with reasonable ease?

Thanks for your help btw and your suggestions...

PA DETAILER
11-08-2015, 05:19 PM
The DP wheel coat is easy to use. Just apply it with a foam applicator, then buff any residue with a MF.

wn1998
11-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I'd pick up a good sealant and apply that this week. That should get you through most of the winter. I would recommend Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. You can put a coat of that on your wheels too!

You will also want to pick up some Aquawax, and you can spray that after each wash to help boost your protection.

Once you learn a little more and pick up a DA, you can apply a coating next Spring or possibly next fall after you correct the paint on your golf! When you apply a coating, your prep is what makes it look great. Applying a coating over a swirled car won't give you the results you want!

jmp4golfvw
11-09-2015, 08:30 AM
I'd pick up a good sealant and apply that this week. That should get you through most of the winter. I would recommend Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. You can put a coat of that on your wheels too!

You will also want to pick up some Aquawax, and you can spray that after each wash to help boost your protection.

Once you learn a little more and pick up a DA, you can apply a coating next Spring or possibly next fall after you correct the paint on your golf! When you apply a coating, your prep is what makes it look great. Applying a coating over a swirled car won't give you the results you want!

Thanks a lot for the tips...yeah, that's what I've learned...is that I do need a good paint correction before applying a coating, since the coating locks in whatever condition your paint is in. Is there a coating, that you (or anyone) knows of, or would recommend for my situation (a few options would be nice), one that is DIY friendly to apply, somewhat reasonably priced and still a very high quality product?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

VeloNYC
11-10-2015, 03:34 AM

out of curiosity, is it true you can get this ride with deep discount right now?

jmp4golfvw
11-10-2015, 08:06 AM
out of curiosity, is it true you can get this ride with deep discount right now?

They are offering the customer loyalty program, I believe it's called and previous VW owners are given a $2000 discount as per the diesel snafu...not sure the parameters of the discount or how long it'll be going on, but it does seem to be a great time to buy. Hope this helps...

Sicoupe
11-10-2015, 08:56 AM
The DP wheel coating is easy to apply, me and my boy did his wheels a few weeks ago and they turned out great! first time using it also. prep is the key:)

ski2
11-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I've been using FK1000p on my Passat wagon paint and wheels and am extremely happy with the performance.

A little more work than the Prima products, but the FK1000p has made taking care of the car a breeze. It performs very much like a coating from the standpoint of shedding dirt and water. Birdbombs can sit there for a couple of days with no damage to the paint.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html) This one can should last you a lifetime.

Apply it THIN, THIN, THIN and it's a snap to remove after hazing, wait 48 hours and apply a second coat and you'll be good to go until Spring.

jmp4golfvw
11-10-2015, 12:41 PM
The DP wheel coating is easy to apply, me and my boy did his wheels a few weeks ago and they turned out great! first time using it also. prep is the key:)

Thanks...what steps did you guys use to prep the wheels?

jmp4golfvw
11-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Apply it THIN, THIN, THIN and it's a snap to remove after hazing, wait 48 hours and apply a second coat and you'll be good to go until Spring.

Thanks for the tip...so do you mean put a coat on, buff it off, then 48 hours later (I assume to let it cure) re-wash it and put another coat on? Otherwise don't know how'd you'd keep a car clean enough to just put on another coat 48 hrs after the initial...maybe I'm just dense (which could easily be the case lol) but could u explain?

ski2
11-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the tip...so do you mean put a coat on, buff it off, then 48 hours later (I assume to let it cure) re-wash it and put another coat on? Otherwise don't know how'd you'd keep a car clean enough to just put on another coat 48 hrs after the initial...maybe I'm just dense (which could easily be the case lol) but could u explain?

Oops--forgot the key word --wait a MINIMUM of 48 hours between coats. More practical is to put the second coat on at your next wash. I say this only because some have experienced pseudo holograms when applying the second coat immediately after the first. I waited 48 hours and was OK--perhaps 24 would be long enough, but I don't know so it's safer to just wait until your next wash.

VeloNYC
11-10-2015, 08:33 PM
They are offering the customer loyalty program, I believe it's called and previous VW owners are given a $2000 discount as per the diesel snafu...not sure the parameters of the discount or how long it'll be going on, but it does seem to be a great time to buy. Hope this helps...

I'm comfortable with Mz3 14-15 right now, only problem is paint is so thin that falling leaves can scratch it.

GSKR
11-10-2015, 08:38 PM
I saw a post where a guy was looking for suggestions on protecting his newish car. I think he was looking for an inexpensive option, rather than a high priced coating, as am I. Unfortunately, not many commented on his post so I thought I'd try. One difference though is that I'll be doing the work myself...

I have a relatively new VW Golf, it's black and stays outside, uncovered (no carport or anything). It does have some minor swirl/scratch (nothing major at all) from what I assume was the dealers idea of detailing a car upon delivery to me lol. Anyway, what would you all suggest to use to protect (especially now that winter is upon us) and beautify the paintwork? Btw, I don't have a DA yet, so no matter the product or step I'll be applying whatever it is by hand. I will have a DA eventually, so if the suggestions for products/steps would be differ for that done "by hand" let me know...Thanks in advance for all your help...this forum is a godsend [emoji6]

P.S...I forgot to ask 2 things:

1. What to use on the wheels to protect them?

2. Is there a coating that is DIY friendly (have never applied), but effective and isn't crazy expensive?

Blackfire will be your friend super cheap for the amount of money a person with one eye and missing fingers can install.If bf isn't a option 845 collinite all the way x 2 or fleetwax.