PDA

View Full Version : Best way to care for rubber around windows?

Pages : [1] 2

jmp4golfvw
11-08-2015, 08:50 AM
I have a relatively new VW Golf (8 mos.) and I've noticed the rubber seals around the windows have just become a little worn looking, a bit water spotted and in general, just not fresh (new looking).

I wanted to see what most of you use on your customers, as well as your own cars. I'm not a detailer btw, just a DIY'er (I try lol [emoji6]) I bought some Griot's Garage Vinyl & Rubber Dressing not too long ago, with the intent of using it as a rubber seal coating/dressing. Is this a good/suitable product for this purpose? Also, since it is such a thin area to coat and difficult to keep off the windows/paintwork, what is the best way to apply these products?

Thanks...

• 2015 VW Golf SEL1.8L TSI w/ LP •

DaveT435
11-08-2015, 09:02 AM
This works great!

303 Rubber Seal Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/303-rubber-seal-protectant.html)

custmsprty
11-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html)

PA DETAILER
11-08-2015, 09:38 AM
:iagree:

builthatch
11-08-2015, 09:53 AM
i have two well-kept vehicles - one is garage kept, one is outdoors 24/7. the one outside is a VW/Audi product.

while i have the paint and several other areas coated on that vehicle, for rubber trim, i simply keep it clean by periodically hitting it with some elbow grease, old microfibers and APC (Power Clean) while washing, making sure to keep the APC from drying on anything while i'm doing that. as long as black comes up, there is still more cleaning to do.

that's it. i find that periodic cleaning does wonders to keep it looking natural and supple.

MarkD51
11-08-2015, 10:12 AM
I'll probably sound like a broken record, but cannot say enough good about Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, more commonly called "WETS" by the old hands here.

A small bottle lasts, because the product does go far when applying, and dries to the touch.

I highly recommend using and saving this specific product for all your rubber trim, and weatherstrip. You'll like it!

I have Gummi Pflege on hand, and personally like the WETS even better. Perhaps WETS is not as convenient to apply, but a simple task with a small cut piece of soft sponge to use as an applicator.

ScottB
11-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-rubber-care-stick.html)

:iagree::props:

cardaddy
11-08-2015, 02:17 PM
The Griot products are okay, both the cleaner and protectant. However... they (and many others) are water based protectants.

I'd get all the rubber and vinyl clean, then use a sealant. (Or a coating.)

As was mentioned, the Wolfgang (WETS) product is excellent. Another that has been a favorite for years is Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus (UTTGP). Both need gloves and an applicator to use, but both are exceptional products. You can use a wedge cut from an old pad, or q-tips for instance and a little bit goes a long LONG way. I've been using a bottle of UTTGP for years now, and a 4oz bottle of WETS since 2013 that's still ¾ full. :D

TUF Shine is one that is similar to these as well, and has had good reviews.

Black WOW is one that I've read good things about, but depending on which one you get... you can spend a TON on it. Would like to try it though. ;) Along with Black WOW, GTechniq C4 is one that does a fantastic job, albeit expensive. Can't say enough good things about the entire GTechniq lineup.

If you want to try the first two, I'd suggest a good thorough cleaning first. For that, get the Mothers Back to Black trim cleaner. That stuff is GREAT! Even comes with a scrubbing brush. :) CarMomma even likes the Mothers Back to Black on her running boards. It restores the look completely, and isn't slick at all (considering she has to step on them to get in and out of her truck) for using the steps as they are made to use.

jmp4golfvw
11-08-2015, 03:51 PM
I'll probably sound like a broken record, but cannot say enough good about Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, more commonly called "WETS" by the old hands here.

A small bottle lasts, because the product does go far when applying, and dries to the touch.

I highly recommend using and saving this specific product for all your rubber trim, and weatherstrip. You'll like it!

I have Gummi Pflege on hand, and personally like the WETS even better. Perhaps WETS is not as convenient to apply, but a simple task with a small cut piece of soft sponge to use as an applicator.

i have two well-kept vehicles - one is garage kept, one is outdoors 24/7. the one outside is a VW/Audi product.

while i have the paint and several other areas coated on that vehicle, for rubber trim, i simply keep it clean by periodically hitting it with some elbow grease, old microfibers and APC (Power Clean) while washing, making sure to keep the APC from drying on anything while i'm doing that. as long as black comes up, there is still more cleaning to do.

that's it. i find that periodic cleaning does wonders to keep it looking natural and supple.

:iagree:

The Griot products are okay, both the cleaner and protectant. However... they (and many others) are water based protectants.

I'd get all the rubber and vinyl clean, then use a sealant. (Or a coating.)

As was mentioned, the Wolfgang (WETS) product is excellent. Another that has been a favorite for years is Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus (UTTGP). Both need gloves and an applicator to use, but both are exceptional products. You can use a wedge cut from an old pad, or q-tips for instance and a little bit goes a long LONG way. I've been using a bottle of UTTGP for years now, and a 4oz bottle of WETS since 2013 that's still ¾ full. :D

TUF Shine is one that is similar to these as well, and has had good reviews.

Black WOW is one that I've read good things about, but depending on which one you get... you can spend a TON on it. Would like to try it though. ;) Along with Black WOW, GTechniq C4 is one that does a fantastic job, albeit expensive. Can't say enough good things about the entire GTechniq lineup.

If you want to try the first two, I'd suggest a good thorough cleaning first. For that, get the Mothers Back to Black trim cleaner. That stuff is GREAT! Even comes with a scrubbing brush. :) CarMomma even likes the Mothers Back to Black on her running boards. It restores the look completely, and isn't slick at all (considering she has to step on them to get in and out of her truck) for using the steps as they are made to use.

:iagree::props:

This works great!

303 Rubber Seal Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/303-rubber-seal-protectant.html)

Thanks everyone for all the info and options. I love that you can get on here in the afternoon, fairly stumped by something and within 30 mins you have people steering you in the right direction. You guys/gals rule! [emoji6]

expdetailing
11-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Many of the product recommendations to be used on rubber and plastic strips around windows (different than weather stripping) will leave a very thin oily film on the glass after it rains. If you want to avoid this, try a true rubber or plastic coating such as, D-Lux, Opti Gloss Coat, or many from the PBMG line-up.

Ebg18t
11-08-2015, 04:56 PM

That is what our VW's Audi's and Porsche rubber seals get treated with.

jmp4golfvw
11-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Many of the product recommendations to be used on rubber and plastic strips around windows (different than weather stripping) will leave a very thin oily film on the glass after it rains. If you want to avoid this, try a true rubber or plastic coating such as, D-Lux, Opti Gloss Coat, or many from the PBMG line-up.

Thanks, what is PBMG btw?

Paul A.
11-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Palm Beach Motoring Group...owner of Autogeek.

I also like 1Z Gummipflege and use it often. Every once in a while i clean the heck out of my seals and trim rubbers with APC and then reapply Gummi.

swanicyouth
11-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Gummipfledge is not intended for use per se on external rubber seals / gaskets. Why is this? Well, the reason is, is because the enemy of these seals is simple - UV exposure.

These seals often have a factory "coating" applied meant to add aesthetics, but mainly prevent UV damage of the seals. The problem is, often this "coating" often is not robust and oxidizes itself.

This will leave the seal appearing mottled or stained to the average viewer. GP has little to no UV protection, so it really doesn't do much good for external seals.

How do I know this? Because I had a conversation about it with a representative from 1Z.

I'd recommend using a dressing that advertises itself as having UV protection - like 303. The caveat is, you will have to apply it after every wash.

And if VW recommends GP for external seals, I wouldn't put too much faith in it. My guess is whoever is recommending this may not be distinguishing UV exposed external seals from those not exposed to UV.

Paul A.
11-09-2015, 09:18 AM
GREAT info and thanks swanic. I'll go back to 303 on externals and keep Gummi on the internals (door, trunk, hood seals).