PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix this?

Pages : [1] 2

rrpalma
11-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Hello,

Just got a 3/4 ton Suburban that has been in storage for close to a year. Paint seems to be in very good condition. However, the wheels have what appears to be lighter colored scratches (but they are not scratches) -- I'm attaching some pictures. Is there any way to leave the wheels looking brand new?

Thanks for reading!

JamMaster Jay
11-07-2015, 02:47 PM
I'll look forward to seeing these replies. My wife's car has the same issue.

dcjredline
11-07-2015, 03:03 PM
That looks to me like corrosion. They are aluminum wheels most likely and it is a reaction of the metal with something (weather basically) happens alot here in the north. Where are you from? Maybe that would help us better determine.

David Hayward
11-07-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe that is oxidation on the aluminum that is under the clear coat on the wheel which is why you can't feel it like a normal scrape or scratch.

David Hayward
11-07-2015, 03:04 PM
That looks to me like corrosion. They are aluminum wheels most likely and it is a reaction of the metal with something (weather basically) happens alot here in the north. Where are you from? Maybe that would help us better determine.

Beat me to it

rrpalma
11-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone. Very humid weather here. Just talked to my close friend who owns a body shop / detailing company with a few locations. He says that probably the only way to fix this is by going through a professional polishing and perhaps re-lathing job. Opinions?

David Hayward
11-07-2015, 04:19 PM
You may just be able to get them sand blasted and then sand and polish the bad spots then re finish the clear coat. You could check with some body shops locally to see if you have a wheel refinishing shop near by.

David Hayward
11-07-2015, 04:28 PM
You may also be able to just have them blasted and cleaned up and then just get them powder coated. You would need to do all 4 that way though. Powder coating in my area starts around $250 for all 4 wheels in basic silver or black and goes up in price from there pending the colors your choose.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-07-2015, 05:53 PM
You should get a quote for getting them refurbished. There are places that will even come to your house and do it out of their van. Usually $250 per wheel.

808_detail_nut
11-07-2015, 06:04 PM
In Hawaii this happens often. Like most said is probably the aluminum oxidizing. I'm waiting to see how the paint on the new fords with the aluminum body react when they start oxidizing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
11-07-2015, 06:34 PM
For sure. Oxidation under the clear coat.

GSKR
11-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Agree wheel is damaged see a lot in south Florida mostly for some reason mustangs are horrible,maybe covered under corrosion warranty.

GSKR
11-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Be better off to buy aftermarket wheels then to have them refurbished,cause it will happen again.

shagnat
11-07-2015, 09:24 PM
go to youtube and check out a post by ChrisFix on how he fixed some wheels with scratches...... I realize yours aren't scratched, but, there are some tips in the video that just may help you DIY.
Also, unless you just don't like the wheels on the car, I wouldn't go to the expense of aftermarket wheels, but, that's up to you.

808_detail_nut
11-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Or just plasti dip them. 20 dollar fix right there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk