PDA

View Full Version : Test Spot for Upsale- Where?

Pages : [1] 2

DogRescuer
11-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Lets say, I'm doing a quick wash for a customer and I want to show them with a spot what a light polish can do, where on the car would you recommend doing this? Or do you NOT recommend doing this at all?
Im looking for ways to upsell a client, any suggestions would be helpful.

VR8
11-07-2015, 08:09 AM
It's a very convincing tool Steve, if used on the right customer. I usually pick an area of the car that has the most defects. Sometimes it's along a fender or door where all of the road debris has scratched the paint, sometimes it's the oxidized hood or roof where the largest benefit can be seen.

Personally, in this area (which I see is your same area!), I haven't been able to charge what a full correction is really worth. Or even just a cleaner wax. I can make the same money on a typical detail which includes clay and a sealant, much quicker/easier. Full corrections are time consuming! My per hour rate drops.

Mantilgh
11-07-2015, 08:16 AM
I seen Mike P and others recommend doing it were it will be very visible to the customer like the upper drivers side of the hood or front fender. This way they will they will have to look this pretty spot almost every time they get into or out of the vehicle.

I believe Mike calls it the cruel test spot or something to that affect.

Edit: Here it is from Mike P from when he was with Meguiars.

The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?39252-The-Cruel-Test-Spot-This-or-that-Reverse-Bait-amp-Switch)

bill walsh
11-07-2015, 08:49 AM
i do drivers side door so that they see it every time opening door

mwoolfso
11-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Rear deck lid

RTexasF
11-07-2015, 09:10 AM
I seen Mike P and others recommend doing it were it will be very visible to the customer like the upper drivers side of the hood or front fender. This way they will they will have to look this pretty spot almost every time they get into or out of the vehicle.

This is always the spot I used. It worked every time either immediately or shortly thereafter.

DogRescuer
11-07-2015, 09:11 AM
ALL great ideas thanks as always.

Klasse Act
11-07-2015, 01:13 PM
I did a test spot on a customers 2007 black Jeep and did a 6" strip on her hood, from the cowl down to the curve where the headlight is. I went from the edge between the fender and inwards, about 6". She couldn't believe the difference but ended up wrapping a large section of her hood recently in pink vinyl, she works at a graphics shop, LOL.

jrs1418
11-07-2015, 01:25 PM
First, make sure you have the customers permission to do something like that. Nowadays, with all these whiney people you never know who's going to throw a fit and for what reason.

And when a customer asks me for a test spot, I do it on the hood, or decklid.

irvsmith
11-07-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm a bit more conservative and would do the right rear quarter panel so if the spot does not finish out well they would be less likely to say now you got to fix this.

DogRescuer
11-07-2015, 06:09 PM
First, make sure you have the customers permission to do something like that. Nowadays, with all these whiney people you never know who's going to throw a fit and for what reason.

And when a customer asks me for a test spot, I do it on the hood, or decklid.

I was thinking about the same thing, what if a customer doesnt want that?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-07-2015, 06:29 PM
I was thinking about the same thing, what if a customer doesnt want that?

Make it clear what is going to happen before hand and that is it not instantly reversible. All you can do is inform the customer and let them make the decision. It's not your responsibly once they give you the okay IF you educate them on what is going to happen.

Very few people will have you go through the trouble of doing it and not have the service completed. I've had 2 people turn down a correction of some sort after doing the test spot. Both people also never scheduled or canceled shortly after scheduling.

GSKR
11-07-2015, 07:46 PM
i do drivers side door so that they see it every time opening door
Agree on the door,customers are not going to inspect the hood or trunk they are lazy.The whole idea is to approach the driver door so there eyes will see it effortlessly.

DogRescuer
11-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Agree on the door,customers are not going to inspect the hood or trunk they are lazy.The whole idea is to approach the driver door so there eyes will see it effortlessly.

Yes but should we be forwarning them?

VR8
11-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Yes but should we be forwarning them?

Absolutely!

If you're planning to surprise the customer with a test spot they didn't agree to, your percentage of upselling will be pretty small. Unless you're doing the polish incredibly cheap, in which case it's not worth your time.