PDA

View Full Version : Getting new car...need advice.

Pages : [1] 2

Bonesteel
11-06-2015, 08:54 PM
I have a 2016 Crystal Black Silica Subaru WRX coming in the news couple of weeks. I'm going to tell the dealer (out of state) not to bother washing it, for obvious reasons, but it's also going to be shipped to me, another 1300 miles from the dealer. Obviously, I can't really know exactly what will be needed, but I'm hoping I won't have to do any major correction.

I'm pretty new to machine polishing, and I recently bought the PC 7424XP. I used it on my '09 Scion xB that had been pretty neglected. I figure the paint is probably very similar in thickness and hardness. I used an orange 5.5" CG Hex Logic pad (cleaned and dried a couple times over 2 days) and mostly an old bottle of 3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover. I also tried the Meguiars Ultimate Compound in some tough spots...it definitely wasn't as rough as I was expecting. I had used the 3M Rubbing Compound by hand in the past, and it had a lot more cut.

In preparation for the WRX, I bought a bottle of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick, but if not, I can use the Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

The LSP will be Blackfire Crystal Coat.

I need to order pads. Considering new car, WGFG and 7424xp, what would you guys recommend. I'm thinking 5.5" Lake Country Flats...white and black. Would the WGFG be better suited for white or black? Should I pick up a few orange in case I have to use the Meguiars compound or would white be ok?

GSKR
11-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Wait till you see the car first then order pads.

custmsprty
11-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Black is a waste of time, that's for LSP's. Get 3 orange and 3 white and you'll be good to go for a little while.

builthatch
11-06-2015, 09:06 PM
I have a 2016 Crystal Black Silica Subaru WRX coming in the news couple of weeks. I'm going to tell the dealer (out of state) not to bother washing it, for obvious reasons, but it's also going to be shipped to me, another 1300 miles from the dealer. Obviously, I can't really know exactly what will be needed, but I'm hoping I won't have to do any major correction.

I'm pretty new to machine polishing, and I recently bought the PC 7424XP. I used it on my '09 Scion xB that had been pretty neglected. I figure the paint is probably very similar in thickness and hardness. I used an orange 5.5" CG Hex Logic pad (cleaned and dried a couple times over 2 days) and mostly an old bottle of 3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover. I also tried the Meguiars Ultimate Compound in some tough spots...it definitely wasn't as rough as I was expecting. I had used the 3M Rubbing Compound by hand in the past, and it had a lot more cut.

In preparation for the WRX, I bought a bottle of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick, but if not, I can use the Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

The LSP will be Blackfire Crystal Coat.

I need to order pads. Considering new car, WGFG and 7424xp, what would you guys recommend. I'm thinking 5.5" Lake Country Flats...white and black. Would the WGFG be better suited for white or black? Should I pick up a few orange in case I have to use the Meguiars compound or would white be ok?

heads up: ask them to remove the covering to inspect the paint as part of their visual inspection for basic prep and reapply it for shipment. they do not have to wash the car.

if there are issues with the paint due to port damage, manufacturing, etc...even if they pop up later, SOA will try their damndest to hold you responsible and will have grounds for that if you don't allow them a visual inspection. i can't tell you more detail that than but trust me.

Bonesteel
11-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Wait till you see the car first then order pads.

I'd really like to be able to knock it out as soon as I take delivery. I want it coated ASAP.

heads up: ask them to remove the covering to inspect the paint as part of their visual inspection for basic prep and reapply it for shipment. they do not have to wash the car.

if there are issues with the paint due to port damage, manufacturing, etc...even if they pop up later, SOA will try their damndest to hold you responsible and will have grounds for that if you don't allow them a visual inspection. i can't tell you more detail that than but trust me.

I understand. I work at a Toyota dealer and do pre delivery inspections frequently. I definitely want them to look it over. I will say that in 10 years or so, I've seen only 2-3 cars come with paint/body defects, and they were dents caused by the shipping companies. I don't recall ever finding a paint defect under the wrap, but Murphy's law always applies...especially when it's my new car. 😉 I bought a new S10 Xtreme in '03 that had an pretty deep scratch on the bedside and clear coat peeling on the rear bumper. It was repaired under warranty.

Klasse Act
11-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Black is a waste of time, that's for LSP's. Get 3 orange and 3 white and you'll be good to go for a little while.

I agree but with all that time on the back of a truck I would make sure you have some IronX and a speedy prep towel (fine grade) for pre-polish prep.

Bonesteel
11-06-2015, 10:29 PM
I agree but with all that time on the back of a truck I would make sure you have some IronX and a speedy prep towel (fine grade) for pre-polish prep.

I plan on ordering some IronX, and I have the Autoscrub fine sponge and pad for the DA. I used the sponge on my xB a few weeks ago. I wasn't brave enough to try the pad on the DA, but the sponge was incredibly easy to use.

Klasse Act
11-06-2015, 10:30 PM
I would never use a DA to decontaminate the paint, too much picking up and putting down the machine.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Bonesteel
11-06-2015, 10:39 PM
I would never use a DA to decontaminate the paint, too much picking up and putting down the machine.

Yeah. Honestly, I've thought about returning the pad because I really don't see the need after using the sponge. It made the decon a breeze, and my xB was a gritty mess. I should have used IronX on it, but I didn't know about it at the time.

Zubair
11-07-2015, 04:29 AM

Once corrected the black pad with the WGFG can finish off to an ultra high shine. If the OP intends to correct with the black I agree however if he wants to take the extra step after correcting, the black pad will jewel nicely.

BRZBYE
11-10-2015, 03:41 AM
I have a CBS BRZ :) you're going to love that WRX!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny9447537
11-10-2015, 03:54 AM
Hey! Congratulations! From experience, Subaru paint is thin and is very susceptible to rock chips and micro scratches/swirls. Theres no need to go more aggressive than Wolfgang Finishing Glaze or Menzerna 4000 followed by 4500. First time I did it I made the mistake of using ONLY one 6.5" LC white polishing pad for my car. I got pretty decent results but it could've been far better to use MULTIPLE 5" LC white hybrid pads. If you like to travel or live in an area where you're constantly behind trucks then I suggest some sort of paint protection film.

I forgot to mention that I used a Flex 3401 w/ the LC 4" interchangeable backing plate system.

I'm about to redo my vehicle and this time use Cquartz UK to protect it for the winter. Best of luck to you!

Here's a recent detail I did on my vehicle.

Bonesteel
11-11-2015, 07:51 AM
...If you like to travel or live in an area where you're constantly behind trucks then I suggest some sort of paint protection film.

I always hate the look of film, but it would be worth my while probably. I work at a Toyota dealership. I had already planned on doing the door cups, but I can get the front done at work for around $400 or so.

If I do go that route, should I wait to apply the Crystal Coat?

GSKR
11-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Yes cause there gonna use your car as a work table when installing this film seen it a million times.

Mike Phillips
11-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Here's my advice, read these two articles...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

and this one...

DON'T WASH CAR !!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/66855-don-t-wash-car.html)

I can no longer count how many people that have come to this forum to share their NIGHTMARE experience of taking their brand new car back to the dealership for some form of REGULAR MAINTENANCE only to have the car wash guy or the detailer totally scratch and swirl out the paint.

So read the Don't Wash Car article and don't forget the advice shared in it before taking your car to the dealership.

Besides that...

Get a foam gun and learn how to wash and dry your car carefully. The reason why is because for most people, it's how the car is washed and dried that create the majority of swirls and scratches in the paint over time.

I teach the Gentle Approach for washing a car in my ACR 3-day detailing classes and have a brand new video explaining this on our Roku channel.

:)