PDA

View Full Version : guitar scratches

Supergus1
11-06-2015, 11:34 AM
I am trying to sell my 40th Anniv. Fender Strat and I want to get rid of the scratches on the body and pick guard. I'd be doing this by hand (or maybe with the Meg's DA Power System). I know there are several musicians here and I was wondering what has worked for you all for the plastic of the pick guard and the urethane on the paint? Thanks so much.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I too have a 40th Annv strat (and many others...). IMHO, I do not expect guitars to be flawless. Actually, the more wear and tear the guitar has, the better. That's why the "aging" market has taken off. Unlike a car, the wear and tear adds character to the guitar.

I have purchased and sold more guitars than I can remember, and having some "players rash" never affected the value.

If you feel you absolutely can't have the wear rash on the guitar, take it to a luthier in your area.

damaged442
11-06-2015, 01:11 PM
I have a 2000 American Standard Strat in Inca Silver. Don't bother trying to take the scratches out. I am in agreement with Paul G and share the same sentiment. The more a Fender is played, the better it looks, IMO. Embrace the wear!

Play it and enjoy it! If you are going to sell it, wipe it down, throw a new set of strings on it and send it down the road.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2015, 01:19 PM
I have a 2000 American Standard Strat in Inca Silver. Don't bother trying to take the scratches out. I am in agreement with Paul G and share the same sentiment. The more a Fender is played, the better it looks, IMO. Embrace the wear!

Play it and enjoy it! If you are going to sell it, wipe it down, throw a new set of strings on it and send it down the road.

Exactly, guitars are such intimate instruments. From action, to how the neck is set... For example, I love low action and a very straight neck (no curve), which makes it a PIA for my luthier. How I like my guitars is different from the next guy. Odds are you have no idea who your selling the guitar too, and if it's a gigging musician, it's going to see it's share of road scars anyway. And they're going to have it set it up the way they play it anyway.

There are a few rashes on my Strat, custom shop tele and Les Paul where I'd be upset if they weren't there.