PDA

View Full Version : How much?

Muddyoldgoat
11-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Everyday I get a few text messages or emails that resemble one of these statements... How much for a mustang? How much? How much for the inside?

I'm wondering how to better educate the folks before they contact me. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have a full price list on my website and have a link to that on my Facebook page. I have yet to figure out how to make that post on Facebook stay at the top. Better yet I would like to put my prices on Facebook and have them be sticky at the top.

Thanks in advance
Shaw

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2015, 07:43 AM
When I get a text that states "how much for a ....."

I reply, please give me a call, I'd be happy to go over everything with you.
When the person calls I qualify what it is their looking for. If it's a car for hauling kids, or they just bought for their HS age daughter or son (who just got their driving license), or is it a show car. I'm not going to discuss a paint correction package on the former, rather the latter.

How can you quote by text when you don't know what their expectations are?
I also wouldn't bother "educating.." that got me nowhere except no business. I usually just say, "Let me take a look at the car and I'll give you a couple of quotes". This will get your further because your building a professional connection. Show up with your company shirt, clip board, Flex Light and Paint Thickness Meter. Right off the bat they'll be able to tell you are more advanced than the "car wash guy" down the street.

This is more of a customer service business than just being a good detailer. Personal connection is always better than responding with texts.

Muddyoldgoat
11-06-2015, 08:02 AM

When the person calls I qualify what it is their looking for. If it's a car for hauling kids, or they just bought for their HS age daughter or son (who just got their driving license), or is it a show car. I'm not going to discuss a paint correction package on the former, rather the latter.

I also wouldn't bother "educating.." that got me nowhere except no business. I usually just say, "Let me take a look at the car and I'll give you a couple of quotes". This will get your further because your building a professional connection. Show up with your company shirt, clip board, Flex Light and Paint Thickness Meter. Right off the bat they'll be able to tell you are more advanced than the "car wash guy" down the street.

This is more of a customer service business than just being a good detailer. Personal connection is always better than responding with texts.

Thanks Paul,
I don't quote or do business over text. I do what you suggested.

By educating them, I was talking about my packages and prices.
I guess I'm just looking for a better starting point to the conversation. Like a text saying, I'm interested in getting your gold interior package done to my 4Runner.
The folks contacting me from my website are way better informed than the folks contacting me from my Facebook page.

roguerobot
11-06-2015, 08:46 AM
I have a full price list on my website and have a link to that on my Facebook page.

Here is a suggestion. Now I am no pro, I do this as a hobby, so I will admit upfront that I have no experience in pricing detailing work. So take these comments as 'customer' comments:

You are getting these questions because your pricing is far too complex and very difficult for any customer to determine what the price for your service would be.

First, the customer must determine whether their car is small, medium, large or extra large. You give examples, but then you are a car guy. You know, automatically, that a VW Passat is in the same size class as a BMW. But, as a consumer, if my car isn't listed, I am going to send you a text.

Next you have 12 car packages, with over 15 add-ons! First, I will commend you for the full disclosure and extensive services you offer, as it is fantastic. But, its like a Chinese menu, and just like ordering from the Chinese restaurant, it takes ages to decide from the complex menu, and in the end you just get General Tso's chicken, because its the only thing familiar to you.

The broad list of coatings is nice, but your customers don't read AGO, so perhaps offer two: good and best. (then you can change what product you use for those two, depending on cost, availability etc)

The price list should probably be like a bistro menu: make it simple, make recommendations.

Suggestions:
-One price per package, with a surcharge for 'larger vehicles' (trucks, suburban, commercial).
-Describe the first package in detail, then for remainder packages, list what is added: "Gold package plus...."
-Consider fewer packages for interior or exterior only. I suggest picking your two most popular. Use your add-ons to cover the higher priced offerings. For example, decontamination and wheel sealant as add-ons to any exterior package. These are up-sells you can sell when you are speaking with customer.
-offer two coatings: Better and Best or something like that. Keep it simple.
-Perhaps include recommendations: "Interior Platinum- Perfect for the family with two young kids and a dog. Got car seats? You need this one" you get the idea.

The goal here is to make it easy for the customer to determine what it will cost to have their car done, before they call or text. Once you are speaking to them, your goal then is upselling additional services.

GSKR
11-06-2015, 09:08 AM

:iagree: you might scare them with the flex light though.Thats the professional way to do it.I find without looking at a car if you give them a baseline estimate ,and you show up that number will be stuck in there mind only to see paint overspray excessive tar or needs a severe treatment of decon,then when you hit them up for more money a majority will say ok,and the other majority will say no,better to visualize a car and the clients expectations.also dog hair is a major promblem they won't mention that over the phone.

DetailKitty
11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I hate to say it, but no matter how much you spell it out, people aren't going to take the time to look and read over FB or your website. You're always going to have some of the "how much".

I agree with paul_g... have them call you so you can go over things.

Personally, as soon as someone asks me how much, I immediately respond, "it depends what you want". At that point they have to spell out to me what they are actually looking for and even then I tell them I need to see the car first.

Paul@Autogeek
11-06-2015, 10:26 AM
I have a full price list on my website and have a link to that on my Facebook page. I have yet to figure out how to make that post on Facebook stay at the top. Better yet I would like to put my prices on Facebook and have them be sticky at the top.

Hello Shaw,

I don't have too much experience educating customers, but I can help you out on the Facebook part.

Here is how to make the post stay at the top of your Facebook.

Step One:
Click on aarow next to the post to open a drop-down menu (circled in red)

http://i.imgur.com/4f3fGpW.jpg

Step Two:
Click 'Pin To Top'

http://i.imgur.com/FsswV8b.jpg

You will then have a Gold Ribbon on the top of the post that will say 'Pinned Post' when you hover over it with your mouse.

http://i.imgur.com/mSU4Rgz.jpg

And now that post is pinned to the top of your Facebook page :props:

Muddyoldgoat
11-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions on revamping my packages. I recently changed them to make them easier to read. I guess I have more work to do on them.

Paul, thanks for the guide. I didn't think it was possible but I sure am glad it is!

LSNAutoDetailing
11-07-2015, 07:30 AM
:iagree: you might scare them with the flex light though.Thats the professional way to do it.I find without looking at a car if you give them a baseline estimate ,and you show up that number will be stuck in there mind only to see paint overspray excessive tar or needs a severe treatment of decon,then when you hit them up for more money a majority will say ok,and the other majority will say no,better to visualize a car and the clients expectations.also dog hair is a major promblem they won't mention that over the phone.

I meet with the customer for two reasons one to make a personal connection with the customer, and two, so that I can go over the car with them and see what they want to do and answer their questions.

There really is no upsell, and I only have four packages. So it's really to find out what they want and give them a quote. In Massachusetts and New Hampshire, it's illegal to do work and then charge somebody if it cost more later.

I have to admit 12 to 15 packages it is a lot and that will confuse people, I try to keep it simple, have a package in mind, and quote it upfront per State law. The point is, keep it simple.

With that said, Muddy I do like your site.

GSKR
11-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Here is a suggestion. Now I am no pro, I do this as a hobby, so I will admit upfront that I have no experience in pricing detailing work. So take these comments as 'customer' comments:

You are getting these questions because your pricing is far too complex and very difficult for any customer to determine what the price for your service would be.

First, the customer must determine whether their car is small, medium, large or extra large. You give examples, but then you are a car guy. You know, automatically, that a VW Passat is in the same size class as a BMW. But, as a consumer, if my car isn't listed, I am going to send you a text.

Next you have 12 car packages, with over 15 add-ons! First, I will commend you for the full disclosure and extensive services you offer, as it is fantastic. But, its like a Chinese menu, and just like ordering from the Chinese restaurant, it takes ages to decide from the complex menu, and in the end you just get General Tso's chicken, because its the only thing familiar to you.

The broad list of coatings is nice, but your customers don't read AGO, so perhaps offer two: good and best. (then you can change what product you use for those two, depending on cost, availability etc)

The price list should probably be like a bistro menu: make it simple, make recommendations.

Suggestions:
-One price per package, with a surcharge for 'larger vehicles' (trucks, suburban, commercial).
-Describe the first package in detail, then for remainder packages, list what is added: "Gold package plus...."
-Consider fewer packages for interior or exterior only. I suggest picking your two most popular. Use your add-ons to cover the higher priced offerings. For example, decontamination and wheel sealant as add-ons to any exterior package. These are up-sells you can sell when you are speaking with customer.
-offer two coatings: Better and Best or something like that. Keep it simple.
-Perhaps include recommendations: "Interior Platinum- Perfect for the family with two young kids and a dog. Got car seats? You need this one" you get the idea.

The goal here is to make it easy for the customer to determine what it will cost to have their car done, before they call or text. Once you are speaking to them, your goal then is upselling additional services.

Love the general tso chicken sentence cause it's so true.

GSKR
11-07-2015, 10:21 AM
I meet with the customer for two reasons one to make a personal connection with the customer, and two, so that I can go over the car with them and see what they want to do and answer their questions.

There really is no upsell, and I only have four packages. So it's really to find out what they want and give them a quote. In Massachusetts and New Hampshire, it's illegal to do work and then charge somebody if it cost more later.

I have to admit 12 to 15 packages it is a lot and that will confuse people, I try to keep it simple, have a package in mind, and quote it upfront per State law. The point is, keep it simple.

With that said, Muddy I do like your site.

Wow that a law in mass about asking more money crazy.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Wow that a law in mass about asking more money crazy.

Yes, the Common Wealth has loves regulations and laws... :-)

heckhole
11-07-2015, 12:59 PM

No, this isn't exactly true. It doesn't matter how simply you post a service description, hourly rate, optioms, etc. Some People will still ask how much no matter what. This is what many people do. You could have a sign that says "all services are $100". And people will still ask "how much for.."

When your prices are listed on a website, facebook, whatever with an accurate description that dummies can understand & someone goes out of their way to ask how much through texts/emails/posts, they are either 1) really dumb and need everything broken down for them a 2nd time 2) never bothered to read 3) looking for a deal because they don't want to pay your normal rates.

I deal with this all day with my other business I own. It's incredibly frustrating but something I have to deal with because many gem customers fall into this group and turn out to be great, returning customers.

When someone emails/texts/posts how much for something and you clearly have it posted some where, have them come to you for an estimate, or go to them for an estimate in person. This will eliminate confusion, you'll have spent just a few moments of your time determining if this will be a real customer or just a stroker.

I simply post 'basic interior cleanings start @ $150' and post all polishing needs require an inspection for an estimate. I got tired explaining the differences even though my packages were SUPER simple for dummies. Any time someone asks how much, I request they come to me or I'll come to them.