PDA

View Full Version : Wax not lasting after a long rain spell.

Pages : [1] 2

Skoob
11-05-2015, 09:12 PM
I was wondering if a lot of rain say a weeks worth, could cause the wax job I did to break down early.
I clay the car before I ever put wax on because I learned through this site that it bonds the wax better with the paint. I have been using Meguiars tech wax 2.0 liquid. I apply it with a machine, and the car feels smooth as silk. I do notice the smoothness goes away after a long raining spell.
Do I need to boost the wax job after a wash with a spray wax because I have read here that doing that extends the life of the wax job. Thanks for the suggestions.

Souldetailer
11-05-2015, 09:22 PM
I was wondering if a lot of rain say a weeks worth, could cause the wax job I did to break down early.
I clay the car before I ever put wax on because I learned through this site that it bonds the wax better with the paint. I have been using Meguiars tech wax 2.0 liquid. I apply it with a machine, and the car feels smooth as silk. I do notice the smoothness goes away after a long raining spell.
Do I need to boost the wax job after a wash with a spray wax because I have read here that doing that extends the life of the wax job. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd give paste a try, specifically Collinite 476. Sorry, just love this wax, and for good reason, it friggin rocks. Lemme know if you do choose Colli 476, there's a few words of wisdom that will make your application process smoother.:buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

LSNAutoDetailing
11-05-2015, 09:57 PM
+1 on 476

DogRescuer
11-06-2015, 05:24 AM

I use c845 and love it. I get a good 6 months or more out of it. A week hmmm dont sound right

hoyt66
11-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Is clay the only prep work you did prior to applying your lsp? I at the very least like to use a paint cleanser prior to applying wax or sealant. You may also still have protection. As far as the

"smoothness" you mentioned, you will lose some degree of that as time goes by but that doesn't mean your protection is gone. There's nothing like that freshly waxed car look and feel.

7PaintGuns
11-06-2015, 06:16 AM
I'd give paste a try, specifically Collinite 476. Sorry, just love this wax, and for good reason, it friggin rocks. Lemme know if you do choose Colli 476, there's a few words of wisdom that will make your application process smoother.:buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

I continue to hear about 476 and the beading pictures look fantastic. Is this somthing I could put over top of WGS 3.0 or would that be a waste of time and could you please go ahead and share your words of wisdom with us? I already plan to use WG paint prep prior to the sealant...

FUNX650
11-06-2015, 06:56 AM
...the wax job I did...

I have been using Meguiars tech wax 2.0 liquid.
Tech Wax 2.0 is not a "traditional Wax".
Instead...It's a (synthetic) Sealant.

IMO:
It won't hurt anything to use a booster
after each car washing session.

And:
Since you're using the Meguiar's Tech Wax,
I'll suggest this Meguiar's spray-on product
[also a (synthetic) Sealant]:

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, spray wax, synthetic spray wax, quick wax, meguiars quick spray wax, paint protectant, liquid wax, meguires, meguiars car (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-spray-wax.html)

Then:
If you find that you're satisfied with what
UQW brings to the table...It's more economical
to buy its first Cousin, Meguiar's D156:

Meguiars Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, X-press car wax, Meguiars X-press spray liquid wax, D156 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-xpress-spray-wax.html)

Bob

Desertnate
11-06-2015, 08:18 AM

What makes you think the wax has broken down? A week is awfully short even for a soft beauty wax.

If it isn't as smooth or beading like you think it should be, the car could simply be dirty from driving in the rain. I use Collinite 845, which easily will last six months and beads like crazy. However, after a bought of bad weather the slick feeling is gone and the beading is sub-par. A quick hand wash brings it all back to normal.

dlc95
11-06-2015, 10:27 AM
A couple observations:

1. With NXT, the guys at Meguiar's say it's best to wait 4 hours before getting wet, and 12 before washing. It's also best to apply as thin as possible (like most waxes/sealants), and allowed to completely dry.

2. A lot of times when rain falls, especially if under trees, the sediment and debris from the trees can mix with existing dust on the paint surface, impeding water beading. Wash your car, dry it, and spray a little water on the paint. See how it reacts then. This used to happen to me a lot. My car was always under the trees, and when it started raining it would bead ok. When it got heavier the beading would gradually stop to nothing. I would be thoroughly dissapointed in my waxes for not beading only to wash the car, get caught out driving in the rain, and see the water beading like I believed it should.

I've had a lot of great luck using NXT 2.0 as far as reasonable durability. If it can survive the salty Michigan winter roads, a little rain shouldn't do much to it.

gp99
11-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I continue to hear about 476 and the beading pictures look fantastic. Is this somthing I could put over top of WGS 3.0 or would that be a waste of time and could you please go ahead and share your words of wisdom with us? I already plan to use WG paint prep prior to the sealant...

I would also like to hear your tips on 476. Just picked some up this week.

Skoob
11-07-2015, 06:51 AM
First, thanks for all the comments I still always learn something new.
I do see the beading improve after a wash.
What kind of "paint cleaning" product do you guys use?
I think the dirt may be causing the beading to not look as well as before like stated above.
I also use a Griots polisher to put the wax on thin. I always have fun bringing out the polisher, the neighbors must think I am nuts, I live in a apartment.

DogRescuer
11-07-2015, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Skoob;1312957]First, thanks for all the comments I still always learn something new.
I do see the beading improve after a wash.
What kind of "paint cleaning" product do you guys

When they say "paint cleaning" product I'm not sure what they mean but before any lsp ever goes on do a ipa wipe down to remove any oils left behind

Paul A.
11-07-2015, 09:13 AM
My new favorite paint "cleaner" before LSP is Car Pro Eraser. Phenomenal cleaner with a pristinely clean MF towel.

Souldetailer
11-07-2015, 09:49 AM

The 476 on my vehicle is entering it's ninth month. It looks and acts as good as day one. 476 application tips have been covered many times before, I simply just follow them. On a properly prepped vehicle of course, apply a thin, I mean THIN layer of wax to the vehicle via machine or hand. I like to apply all my waxes by hand, I guess I like to feel like I'm working or massaging it in. Either way will work. The key is not to apply the wax too thick or let dry too long, it's a bear getting it off if you do. I apply one panel at a time. After finishing that panel, I go back and remove the prior. Applying it thin allows for easy removal. I applied a second coat a week later, the same way. No smoke and mirrors here, just apply it THIN and remove promptly. As for applying 476 over WGS or anything else, I simply don't know. Sorry! Good luck and take care.:dblthumb2:

Peace,

Darrin

JamMaster Jay
11-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Maybe an off topic thought here but do most detail shops stay away from long lasting products like the collinite? My thinking would be some product that lasts only a few months so the client wants to come back in more regularly. I could be completely wrong but won't products that last forever keep the clients from making regular appointments?