PDA

View Full Version : Moving on up

Pages : [1] 2

DogRescuer
11-05-2015, 05:05 AM
I've been learning /using the gg6 now for quite a while but I'm ready to move up.

Can someone help me decide what my next choice or level polisher I would step up to?

AnthonyGXP
11-05-2015, 05:22 AM
I've been learning /using the gg6 now for quite a while but I'm ready to move up.

Can someone help me decide what my next choice or level polisher I would step up to?

Long Throw or maybe Flex 3401.

If it's for personal use I'd recommend a 15mm throw if you go with long throw DA. A little more versatile for the weekend warrior.

DogRescuer
11-05-2015, 05:42 AM
So flex 15mm?

AnthonyGXP
11-05-2015, 06:07 AM
So flex 15mm?

No, Flex 3401 is 8mm forced rotation. I was suggesting 15mm throw if you decide to go with a Rupes or Griot's long throw DA. Rumor has it, Flex is releasing a new long throw DA at SEMA. Might want to wait and check that out.

dlc95
11-05-2015, 07:16 AM
Some type of rotary.

For me, the increase in performance is negligable. The 3401 really shines on heavy oxidation, but for your everyday swirls I feel like I can get comparable results from my Porter Cable. Same with the Duetto.

They do offer a smoother running experience, but I can't tell you how many times I just end up putting the PC back into play.

The only time I lose cut on the PC is when the pad loads up. Even using something like Ultimate Compound, it cuts hard enough that after a couple of passes, I turn over the machine, and see that residue build up that's clogged up my pads. This even after cleaning them after every section cycle.

The 3401 and the Rupes are both nice though. I'm considering the next Flex XCE for either the shop, or the mobile rig.

dcjredline
11-05-2015, 08:17 AM
I just upgraded from my GG6 to a FLEX 3401 and so far am very happy. I just couldnt get my head around why a bigger throw and no forced rotation is "better" than a GG6. Its the same principals, and same "problems" that the GG6 has... stalling on curved panels.

tenblade2001
11-05-2015, 08:46 AM
I was in the same boat and after a lot of discussion (and multiple PMs to forum members) I went with the Flex. For me, it was about the forced rotation and not feeling beat up at the end of the detail.

Paul A.
11-05-2015, 08:47 AM
I am in the market for a new machine as well and i am going to go Flex 3401. Direct drive random orbit action, to me, is the best of both a PC and a rotary.

Mantilgh
11-05-2015, 08:50 AM
But in those moments of pad stall the pad is still making those orbits. 8mm vs. the other large ones. Fixed sanders remove material with no rotation.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-05-2015, 09:06 AM
I moved up to a GG G15, love it.

heckhole
11-05-2015, 09:35 AM
I've had a hard time moving on from my PC. The biggest problem I have is the cost of a Flex and then upgrading pads too. I have a shop so my investment would have to be $500 or more to have enough pads to last a while.

I can tell you that experimenting with different pad types and compounds will help you find a surprisingly fast and effective cutting combination for a DA.

The only complaint I have about DA's is the noise and vibrations. I've found my PC XP and combos to be effective and fast in my shop, I only grab my rotary for extreme oxidation or heavy damage or giant vehicles like crew cab trucks because of the large working surface they cover. Still have to finish down with a DA to ensure a great finish in natural light.

I haven't been able to use a forced rotation DA, so I don't know what I'm missing, but so far I haven't felt like I need to be completing work faster or seen a need for it given all the versatility the PC has to offer.

Very rarely do I look at a vehicle in my shop and think ! $@#!!! I need to use my rotary to fix this.

Zubair
11-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Some type of rotary.

For me, the increase in performance is negligable. The 3401 really shines on heavy oxidation, but for your everyday swirls I feel like I can get comparable results from my Porter Cable. Same with the Duetto.

They do offer a smoother running experience, but I can't tell you how many times I just end up putting the PC back into play.

The only time I lose cut on the PC is when the pad loads up. Even using something like Ultimate Compound, it cuts hard enough that after a couple of passes, I turn over the machine, and see that residue build up that's clogged up my pads. This even after cleaning them after every section cycle.

The 3401 and the Rupes are both nice though. I'm considering the next Flex XCE for either the shop, or the mobile rig.

I agree, thats why coming from a DAS6/Rupes15/Flex3401 my next machine has to be considerably more powerful. The only polisher that meets my criteria or makes sense is the Flex PE-14.

Matt@Revive
11-05-2015, 09:47 AM
what type of your do you do the most; heavy paint correction, light polish, AIO?

i upgraded from my PC to a Rupes 15 last year. love the machine, it's amazing how much faster and longer you can work when your hands don't go numb from vibration.

there are a lot of new/upgraded machines coming out this year so you have a twice as many choices now. i personally love my Rupes machine/pads/poliches all work great together. i have also contumplated picking up a FLEX 3401 for heavy correction and curvy vehicles.

with all that being said i think the Rupes 21 mark 2 is next on my list.

DogRescuer
11-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks to all, I have some thinking to do.

bill walsh
11-05-2015, 11:37 AM
i went from cyclo polisher to flex 3401