PDA

View Full Version : Narrowing down a steamer

MikeC
11-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Looking at a Vapor Chief Single or the VX5000. On paper, they're close, with the Chief having a slight advantage, IMO. Plus, $100 off doesn't hurt. Any opinions or comments? Anyone used both? Thanks

Evan.J
11-05-2015, 02:00 AM
I love my VX 5000

bill walsh
11-05-2015, 12:04 PM
i had vx5000 now have vapor chief works so much better for me with d/d cars

Mint555
11-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I researched both, as I have never researched the Vapor Chief before. As an impartial person, I would go with the Vapor Chief. They have similar specs, but the VC is offering a $100 rebate, plus has a lifetime warranty. Warranties are a big factor when I make decisions. I personally have a 220V Dupray Steam Box so I can't speak from personal experience.

GSKR
11-05-2015, 05:10 PM
I truly think you should give me the money,those things are time consuming tools in which for the customer is not gonna compensate you to steam everything possible in the car then recondition with leather or vinyl dressing .Detailing with the correct products and instructions will suit you just fine,maybe be good for a raunchey caravan with stains galore on the carpet I tend to stay away from those jobs to much time not enough money.

vanev
11-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I truly think you should give me the money,those things are time consuming tools in which for the customer is not gonna compensate you to steam everything possible in the car then recondition with leather or vinyl dressing .Detailing with the correct products and instructions will suit you just fine,maybe be good for a raunchey caravan with stains galore on the carpet I tend to stay away from those jobs to much time not enough money.

Disagree.

A good steamer is not only useful, but you can purchase good ones for just a couple hundred bucks.
Mculloch 1275, 1375 and 1385 comes to mind.
Even a simple held steamer for less than $50.00 is a nice addition to your inventory.

There is a certain feel/sense when standing by a car's exterior that has been steam cleaned that is noticeable.
Much more so for the interior.
Steam cleaning an interior is a nice touch whether needed or not, and contributes to a better end product.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

GSKR
11-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Bought one for taking off lettering on a hummer ,then I threw it out.Its everyone preference when it's comes to this,I personally think you can do without one for business people on the run trying to keep a schedule using that is useless if it's for a personal car then it's a fit.

MikeC
11-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys. This would be used on my personal cars and also in the house, besides customers. There is a potential $200 rebate right now.

expdetailing
11-06-2015, 12:16 AM
I bought a McCulloch 1375 for less than two hundred dollars and i don't use it much. I used it trying to make use of it but quickly realized my bissell carpet extracter and a mf towel and some apc could accomplish the same tasks. When it comes to fabric, an extracter wins hands down if a little moisture isn't an issue. Honestly, the only task I would struggle without a steamer would be cleaning cup-holders with melted items sticking to the bottom of the cup-holder. Aside from that, I don't see other tasks where a steamer accells compared to what I wrote above--an extracter, apc, & some towels.

SameGuy
11-06-2015, 01:51 AM
Have you steamed glass or door jambs? Can't use an extractor there.

Mike@ShineStruck
11-06-2015, 02:35 PM
You can find the mytee firebird for 215 shipped..
Claims a 100 degress more over the 1385..
Only thing it doesn't have is the triangle attachment.

With that said
The 1385 by mculloch for like 200 is also a good deal

expdetailing
11-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Have you steamed glass or door jambs? Can't use an extractor there.

No, but a towel and glass cleaner, or apc would work.