PDA

View Full Version : OPTI Coat pro/pro plus with hard water spot

Pages : [1] 2

Joeguam
11-04-2015, 08:38 PM
A month ago I got the OPTI coat pro and pro plus done to my vehicle and now I got hard water spots.

I tried the distilled vinegar trick but the water spot is still there with no result.

How do I remove the hard water spot without damaging the coating?:dunno:

Product and/or technique is greatly appreciated

Evan.J
11-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Car pro spotless water spot remover

Detail-Impressions
11-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Oh Opti Coat Pro has no problems.
The best coating in the world!
Dr. G the automotive chemist made the product.
I suggest calling him....For the answer about his super Pro product.

DaveT435
11-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Car pro Spotless shouldn't be any problem. I just used it on a car coated with C1/EXO with no issues.

Detail-Impressions
11-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Opti Coat Pro comes with a warranty, Please read what must be done to keep valid.
I understand other manufactures have products that cure the problem. Have any problem and you will be on your own, with no warranty.

So I say call Dr. G and see what the Opti Coat Pro Chemist recommends.

Other side of the coin go for it and gamble...

Joeguam
11-05-2015, 06:49 AM
How would I call Dr. G?
The hard water was introduced from rinsing the truck after the application.
I the mean time I have ordered Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover.

Muddyoldgoat
11-05-2015, 07:34 AM
How would I call Dr. G?
The hard water was introduced from rinsing the truck after the application.
I the mean time I have ordered Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover.

Contact the installer who applied your coating.

Detail-Impressions
11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Optimum Forum (http://www.optimumforums.org)

For more information email us at :

info@optimumcarcare.com

Phone: 1-901-363-4955
Fax: 1-901-363-4956

Optimum Polymer Technologies
4130 Senator Street
Memphis, TN 38118

PayPal Customer Service
Phone: 1-888-221-1161

Joeguam
11-07-2015, 08:31 PM
I did contact the OPTI COAT detailer. The distilled vinegar was suggested first but of course it did not work. I have ordered the Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover as the next recommended step (the OPTICOAT dealer) to remove the hard water spot.
I did view OPTICOAT forum but it seems the participation/update/answer questions so I did not bother.

I appreciate all the help here thus far.
So does each OPTICOAT authorized detailor have diffrent methods or should all be speaking and doing the same things (recommendations/techniques/warranties/care etc).

swanicyouth
11-07-2015, 08:33 PM

Umm... Did you see the OPs post?

7.3powerstroke
11-07-2015, 09:06 PM
The best coating in the world!
Dr. G the automotive chemist made the product.
I suggest calling him....For the answer about his super Pro product.

Are you being serious or is there sarcasm here? Would like to know more about your thoughts on this product!

builthatch
11-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Are you being serious or is there sarcasm here? Would like to know more about your thoughts on this product!

i suspect sarcasm.

A month ago I got the OPTI coat pro and pro plus done to my vehicle and now I got hard water spots.

I tried the distilled vinegar trick but the water spot is still there with no result.

How do I remove the hard water spot without damaging the coating?:dunno:

Product and/or technique is greatly appreciated

who installed it? where are you located?

yes, they should all have the same general answers, though the products can vary. while OPT obviously designs everything as a system, many detailers use other brand products for one reason or another. something like vinegar could be suggested but that is so mild that they should know that if vinegar is going to remove it, it would likely not stay on the coating in the first place. so, MDR would be the first stop, then a mild chemical cleaner polish like Poli-Seal as an alternative/more aggressive step. honestly, something is wrong if you need anything past that, unless you have scratched the coating or chipped the paint and need to remove/replace.

i have yet to have ANYTHING truly etch by itself into cured Pro and the most aggressive i've had to get for anything is a couple passes with Poli-Seal. that includes certain summer bug guts that have baked, bird doo stains from sea gull poop sitting on sun baked panels in the middle of the summer or water spots. however, every area is different and the environmental exposures follow suit.

i'm curious, where is the water coming from?

RPM_BR
11-08-2015, 10:16 AM
I never used, nor seen an Opti Coat Pro coated car. However, I believe it is a syrup-style, thick, strong coating system, similar to Modesta or Echelon, which I've seen.

The problem with this type of coatings is the curing time, and the curing procedures.

If the temperature was hot when the car got coated, like 85F and above (and a dry weather), the installer could get away with the aid of an infrared lamp to properly cure it.

It is recommended an infrared lamp for curing thick coating systems, since they are like a resin, and takes a long time to dry it up.

I think the water spot problem was an unlucky combination of a not fully cured coating and a heavy mineral water deposit.

If it was the case, probably nothing will completely remove the water spots besides polishing. It is permanently etched to the coating.

I would go back to the installer and relate the problem to him, to seemif he can solve the problem.

Joeguam
11-08-2015, 02:26 PM
There was no problem during the application of the coating. My truck was put in a baking booth for about an hour after the coating and looked good.
The hard water happened with tap water (grass sprinkler system and strong winds and then I rinsed the truck after the application) being introduced to the panel and I want to remove the hard water spot that is on top of the coat.

builthatch. Thanks and of course baby steps to remove the water spot was the direction I and the installer wanted to take. If I thought it was a installer problem I would have had the vehicle in the shop that did the coating. There are no scratched or chipped of the coating.

builthatch
11-08-2015, 03:55 PM
There was no problem during the application of the coating. My truck was put in a baking booth for about an hour after the coating and looked good.
The hard water happened with tap water (grass sprinkler system and strong winds and then I rinsed the truck after the application) being introduced to the panel and I want to remove the hard water spot that is on top of the coat.

builthatch. Thanks and of course baby steps to remove the water spot was the direction I and the installer wanted to take. If I thought it was a installer problem I would have had the vehicle in the shop that did the coating. There are no scratched or chipped of the coating.

ahh ok.

so yeah, MDR first. check work after first application, used as prescribed on the bottle. if no results, try multiple applications. if it doesn't help, then Poli-Seal with a light cut or even no cut pad. do a test spot with a couple passes and check results.

if, for some odd reason, you need to get even more aggressive, i can't imagine what this water would have done to your original clear coat if it wasn't coated. however, as mentioned, my coated Q5 has been coated for more than a year and is outside all day, every day and to date nothing has etched the coating. nothing. so, i'm hopeful you will resolve this issue without much problem.