PDA

View Full Version : Degreaser

route66detail
11-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Quick question. Before polishing a car/truck, obviously I'm washing it first. As far as the road grime/tar on the panels behind the wheels... that needs to come off before I polish. Is it safe for me to use degreaser for this since im going to be applying wax anyway?

Rob

AnthonyGXP
11-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Depends on the type of degreaser, I have used Meg's Super Degreaser diluted to it's proper ratio for this purpose before.

If you have tar or grease, I would recommend using Tarminator or equivalent product.

Paul A.
11-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Basic answer is yes and you're right to want to get that off before polishing and/or wax. I also use Meg's Super Degreaser on paint and as strong as 1:4 for tough road tar. I also love Car Pro Trix. I just make sure i thoroughly flush it off before polishing or LSP.

Mantilgh
11-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Sometimes I'll pretreat with 3D Orange 88 or Optimum Power Clean diluted, wash(ONR or traditional soap), then go after anything that's left with Tarminator. Then lightly wash and rinse again.

I've also pretreated with Tarminator, then washed.

FUNX650
11-04-2015, 10:47 PM
303 Marine Citrus Cleaner & Degreaser (http://www.autogeek.net/303-marine-citrus-cleaner-degreaser.html) :dblthumb2:

Bob

dcjredline
11-05-2015, 01:32 AM
Bob - I wasn't even aware (some how) that 303 had a degreaser. I wish I didn't have 28 others to use up cause I would sure try theirs.

DeepReflections
11-05-2015, 02:59 AM
We use Zep Purple Degreaser on everything with great results and cut it 5 to 1(5 parts water to 1 part Zep), and it is available at Home Depot and Lowes in 5 gallon containers.
Engines, door/trunk jambs, wheel wells, gas cap area, wheels, and barrels come out great.

AnthonyGXP
11-05-2015, 05:30 AM
We use Zep Purple Degreaser on everything with great results and cut it 5 to 1(5 parts water to 1 part Zep), and it is available at Home Depot and Lowes in 5 gallon containers.
Engines, door/trunk jambs, wheel wells, gas cap area, wheels, and barrels come out great.

+1

Just recently started using this alongside Meg's Super Degreaser, and so far I'm quite pleased with it! Much more potent than D108 at 4:1! Be careful around paint with Zep Industrial Purple, according to label.

GSKR
11-05-2015, 06:44 AM

Be careful with that purple Zep it's a very strong apc even diluted.

GSKR
11-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Quick question. Before polishing a car/truck, obviously I'm washing it first. As far as the road grime/tar on the panels behind the wheels... that needs to come off before I polish. Is it safe for me to use degreaser for this since im going to be applying wax anyway?

Rob

Do they have any pressure washer repair services there,and sell professional detailing products under one roof and offer any kind of training in Jacksonville ? Looking into a extra business to start up.

route66detail
11-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks for your help. I've done some research on YouTube etc... on this but I feel better getting the assurance from guys that are currently on here. Great advice!