PDA

View Full Version : Dryice blasting!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Buracho
11-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Has anybody tried dryice blasting for detailing cars professionally?
I am not a professional detailer nor a dryice salesman lol... but I do love cleaning my car and I think this tool is a miracle worker.
I've seen some videos on YouTube people cleaning their cars with it but didn't see one on a professional level
The machine doesn't costs as much as all the tools a detailer needs combined to clean a car like the brushes,soaps,steamers extractors etc....
You can clean any thing with it from interior seats to engine bay. You just point and shoot and it does the job in seconds. No soaking, agitating rinsing etc. It's versatile and safe too. It can be aggressive and strip paint if u want it to be or you can gently clean your ecu's motherboard with it.
What do you guys think? Genius or what :)

AGOatemywallet
11-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Please provide some additional information on the purchase price of the unit as well as the cost of the dry ice

RMM
11-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Paul Dalton started using it more than 4 years ago:

Miracle Detail - Engine bay cleaning and detailing with the Polar jet machine and dry ice. - YouTube

GSKR
11-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I'd rather the traditional way soap and water.

shagnat
11-05-2015, 01:54 AM
+1 ^^ :iagree: :dblthumb2:

oldmodman
11-05-2015, 03:26 AM
The only thing I have personally seen it used on was mold infested house. All the drywall and insulation was removed and then all the wood and electrical wiring and plumbing pipes were cleaned with the powdered dry ice.

After an amazingly short time every trace of mold was removed and the residue (the stuff knocked off the surfaces) was vacuumed up and the rebuild on the house started.

Insurance had to pay for everything and it was not cheap. But they ended up with a safe, essentially brand new house.

After seeing how much surface material was blasted off I can't imagine using it on a shiny painted surface. Unless you were stripping the car for a repaint.

Maybe there is a much gentler type for lesser cleaning purposes. I sure would not let someone loose on any of my cars until I saw it demoed on a test panel

Buracho
11-05-2015, 03:36 AM
Please provide some additional information on the purchase price of the unit as well as the cost of the dry ice

The machine used to be expensive from what I've read but now you can get it as low s 2500$ now or even rent one.
Dry ice is like 5 bucks for 10lbs or so. I think It depends on location tho

Buracho
11-05-2015, 04:03 AM

Totally agree with you but let me ask you this. How long does it take to thoroughly clean a wheel and tire? 3 min? average. it usually goes like this, you rinse it with water and remove any loose dirt then you take out your soap and brush usually two different ones for tyre and rim and start rubbing and brushing till you are satisfied then you rinse again, then you take your towel and dry. Thats the average job required for a normal dust and road grime on our wheels right? If it has been in a mud well it takes longrer and requires more scrubbing. You get my point. But with this machine it doesn't matter if uve just popped back from a Baja rally or how much dirt is on it, It is gone with less than a minute . And it does it well, I mean on a microscopic level.No multi step no changing tools no drying. Now if you are a professional detailer who does multiple cars a day saving 2/3 of your time is huge. I hope you get what I mean here. Cheers.

Buracho
11-05-2015, 04:12 AM
The only thing I have personally seen it used on was mold infested house. All the drywall and insulation was removed and then all the wood and electrical wiring and plumbing pipes were cleaned with the powdered dry ice.

After an amazingly short time every trace of mold was removed and the residue (the stuff knocked off the surfaces) was vacuumed up and the rebuild on the house started.

Insurance had to pay for everything and it was not cheap. But they ended up with a safe, essentially brand new house.

After seeing how much surface material was blasted off I can't imagine using it on a shiny painted surface. Unless you were stripping the car for a repaint.

Maybe there is a much gentler type for lesser cleaning purposes. I sure would not let someone loose on any of my cars until I saw it demoed on a test panel

Check this out oldmodman.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSz_3Bizyo

SameGuy
11-05-2015, 04:13 AM
The requirements are way out of my league. 35 cfm at 90 psi of refrigerant-dried air?

Buracho
11-05-2015, 04:15 AM
Paul Dalton started using it more than 4 years ago:

Miracle Detail - Engine bay cleaning and detailing with the Polar jet machine and dry ice. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ5Rsz4oveE)

Thanks for the reply.
Lol I wasn't aware of it nor the thread :) exactly what I wanted to see.
The prices for the machines have gone down considerably now that is why I am excited about it.
Cheers.

GSKR
11-05-2015, 06:33 AM
Totally agree with you but let me ask you this. How long does it take to thoroughly clean a wheel and tire? 3 min? average. it usually goes like this, you rinse it with water and remove any loose dirt then you take out your soap and brush usually two different ones for tyre and rim and start rubbing and brushing till you are satisfied then you rinse again, then you take your towel and dry. Thats the average job required for a normal dust and road grime on our wheels right? If it has been in a mud well it takes longrer and requires more scrubbing. You get my point. But with this machine it doesn't matter if uve just popped back from a Baja rally or how much dirt is on it, It is gone with less than a minute . And it does it well, I mean on a microscopic level.No multi step no changing tools no drying. Now if you are a professional detailer who does multiple cars a day saving 2/3 of your time is huge. I hope you get what I mean here. Cheers.
Thanks for the info,I use a pressure washer that's mounted in my truck I don't ever agitate any thing on the wheels with the right products and dwell time wheel and tire cleaning is effortless and I don't wash engines.

HUMP DIESEL
11-05-2015, 07:14 AM
I have seen this used to clean undercarriages of older classic and antique vehicles to keep from damaging them.

HUMP

BillE
11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Think about the sudden temp drop when that vapor hits...Using something that is -109°F (granted the vapor will be 'warmer') just scares the livin' poo out of me.

Bill

roguerobot
11-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Is it the vapor that is cleaning, or is this like sand blasting? I don't see how the vapor has enough density to remove even dirt, but if it is ejecting small dry ice particles, then that seems to make sense. It would be like sand blasting, but in this case the media evaporates, making clean up easy.