PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar Color Coding

Formula1_AC@NYC
11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Hey all,

We at Formula put together this little infographic based on a bit of research we did online. We'd love to perfect this list, so if any of you have personal experience with other clay bars feel free to add on! Also, if you wanted to share it anywhere, that's fine too.

So far, we saw a couple trends as far as blue, red and black, but nothing resembling a uniform color code for clay bars. Seems like it would be beneficial to follow a format industry-wide, but every brand has their own ideas I guess.

http://formulaautocare.com/index/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/3-COURSES-FOR-19.99-1.png

Paul@Autogeek
11-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the awesome guide! I'm sure this will come in handy for many detailers.
Very well done :props:

craigdt
11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Nice guide- I'll add it to my quick reference material

Rmd
11-04-2015, 04:32 PM
For ultra fine, I just bought the Wolfgang poly-clay and it seems exactly the same as the Pinnacle. Same color even, so the WG version can go on there with the Pinnacle.

larry33
11-04-2015, 04:41 PM
might as well add nanoskin?

mwoolfso
11-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Mother's and Riccardo as well please.

Formula1_AC@NYC
11-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the awesome guide! I'm sure this will come in handy for many detailers.
Very well done :props:

Thank you!

And thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far :thankyousign:

GSKR
11-04-2015, 05:42 PM
I use yellow on the majority of paint decon ,red is the holygrail of hell.In place of ultra fine I will use a nano skin pad it's more effective and faster cleaning of light decon.automagic I believe owns the U.S. Patent for clay it was invented in Japan ,so I tend to stay with Automagic clay it's a little pricey but all clay in not created equal,I've tried the cheaper ones you get what you pay for.

suitcasejohnny
11-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks for posting this info! I just did my first clay bar on a vehicle last weekend. I used the Mother's Clay Bar Kit. I used it on a car that is 8 years old. I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with the results! The finish on that car after being clayed was amazing! It literally felt as smooth as glass, if not smoother!

I then detailed another car that is less than a year old, and didn't use the clay bar on it. The finish feels gritty compared to the 8 year old car that was clayed. Definitely going to use the clay bar once a year to keep those surfaces smooth! It's amazing stuff!

Formula1_AC@NYC
11-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Mother's and Riccardo as well please.

Thanks, noted!

What grade would you say Mother's qualified as? We've never used it.

Thanks for posting this info! I just did my first clay bar on a vehicle last weekend. I used the Mother's Clay Bar Kit. I used it on a car that is 8 years old. I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed with the results! The finish on that car after being clayed was amazing! It literally felt as smooth as glass, if not smoother!

I then detailed another car that is less than a year old, and didn't use the clay bar on it. The finish feels gritty compared to the 8 year old car that was clayed. Definitely going to use the clay bar once a year to keep those surfaces smooth! It's amazing stuff!

Yes, Clay bars work wonders! Glad you started using them. We encourage all of our customers to get that service before we do any waxing or correction. It's imperative in order to help the wax bond to the surface.

AZSteve
11-10-2015, 04:02 PM
I like Griot's Paint Cleaning Clay (yellow), which they describe in one of their videos as 'mild'.

GSKR
11-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks, noted!

What grade would you say Mother's qualified as? We've never used it.

Yes, Clay bars work wonders! Glad you started using them. We encourage all of our customers to get that service before we do any waxing or correction. It's imperative in order to help the wax bond to the surface.fine grade there not gonna market a medium cut grade to Johnny the retail car guy,to much to go wrong.

Formula1_AC@NYC
11-11-2015, 12:31 PM
fine grade there not gonna market a medium cut grade to Johnny the retail car guy,to much to go wrong.

Thanks, that's a good point.

Formula1_AC@NYC
11-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Here's the updated version. Thanks to everyone for their help!

http://formulaautocare.com/index/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Clay-Bar-Color-Guide-2.0-1.png

Formula1_AC@NYC
11-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Sorry about that last post, broken link. This is it:

http://formulaautocare.com/index/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Clay-Bar-Color-Guide-2.0-2.png