PDA

View Full Version : Is a coating glossier than an LSP?

Pages : [1] 2

spewking
11-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Since I've never used a coating, I would like your opinions about coatings' glossiness, reflectivity, shine, and depth as compared to LSPs like WG3.0, 4*UPP, etc.

I have read a lot about coating durability and slickness and sheeting for rain and dirt, but haven't seen much talk about improved gloss, etc.

Can you weigh in? With the uber coating announcement, I may jump and try it for my first coating.

As usual, thanks for the feedback.

David

FUNX650
11-01-2015, 11:37 AM
IMHO:

•Without using industry-specific measuring
instrumentation, such as:
ISO/ASTM-certified Glossmeters :

-What differences in gloss can a human actually see?

-That is...
When LSPs are being "eye-of-the-beholder-evaluated":
what number of gloss units (GU) would actually be
detectable by the human eye;

-In other words: how many GUs would
be perceived as significantly different?

Bob

Vue to a kill
11-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Some coatings like CQUK can have a little gloss enhancing ability that gives a candy coated kind of look but a lot of sealants can do this too. Ultima Paint Guard Plus for example can do this. If the overall look is your primary objective a coating really isn't generally going to be a solution. It's the prep work that will really bring out the look.

The other thing to weigh is if you enjoy waxing. If you find it enjoyable like a lot of people on here do then a coating not for you.

Sizzle Chest
11-01-2015, 11:44 AM
In my experience, I have found coatings to have the same properties as other LSP's in regards to glossiness, reflectivity, shine, depth, etc. Now, obviously some LSP's-whether it be a nuba, sealant, or hybrid will have different characteristics than coatings in different areas.

Bottom line: I was pleasantly surprised at not just the performance of coatings, but their 'looks and feel' as well.

Hope this helps!

medicscott
11-01-2015, 11:46 AM
So a lot of things go into gloss. Reasons why coatings look so good is because of the prep work that goes into it. Typically because you are doing a full paint correction with multiple stages, then locking it in with a coating, the results appear spectacular. Not necessarily sure if a really good wax can't compete with a really good coating.

What coatings DO offer is unsurpassed long term protection, hydrophobic properties, mild scratch resistance, etc.

If you enjoy waxing your car every 3 months then don't install a coating. The gloss comes from the prep work.

AGOatemywallet
11-01-2015, 11:57 AM
There are ingredients in some Coatings that are more reflective than the vehicles existing paint

silverfox
11-01-2015, 12:08 PM
For me it's not about the hydrophobic and self cleaning argument for coatings because I've gotten as good if not better hydrophobic action from both FK1000p and Sonax PNS sealants. I don't buy the glossier argument of coatings either. Coatings are thicker ,thus in theory have more shielding the paint. Imo that's what it comes down to coupled with better longevity if thats important to you.

spewking
11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone for weighing in.

The prep steps, no doubt, are the key to the final look and shine. I believe I have got the routine down, but am always trying new products.

I do think there is some synergy between the prep and the final protection and know that each topper has slightly different looks, e.g., soft and glowing or hard candy like. So I appreciate your feedback that there isn't inherent shine improvements in the coatings. My daughters car may well be suitable for the coating with its durability and protection...you know the young girls are lucky to wash ithe car once a year....HA!!

Thanks again.

DaveT435
11-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone for weighing in.

The prep steps, no doubt, are the key to the final look and shine. I believe I have got the routine down, but am always trying new products.

I do think there is some synergy between the prep and the final protection and know that each topper has slightly different looks, e.g., soft and glowing or hard candy like. So I appreciate your feedback that there isn't inherent shine improvements in the coatings. My daughters car may well be suitable for the coating with its durability and protection...you know the young girls are lucky to wash ithe car once a year....HA!!

Thanks again.

My 20 year old daughter actually helps polish and coat her vehicle. While she still doesn't wash it as much as I would like to see her wash it, she does take a little more pride in it than most girls because her hard work went into making it that way.

Kamakaz1961
11-01-2015, 01:43 PM
IMO you can't go wrong with either a coating or sealant or wax or sealant/wax. As for glossiness, I prefer a wax on top of a sealant.

I have done coatings and sealant. However, IMO with a good quality wax (on top of a good quality sealant) you can tell the difference. I am a wax snob or a waxaholic whichever you prefer. I will wax the top part of my trunk and look for gloss, depth, wet look and brilliance. This is my Test area.

With so many tests you can tell the difference between the performance of a wax. I will leave my ride out in the sun for at least a couple of hours and I look for ghosting or hazing and the above aforementioned. I will at dusk spray the test area and check the beading and sheeting of the wax. You will learn quite a bit with what waxes do. The ones that pass the test are kept, the ones that fail I usually sell them real cheap.

IMO, hybrids will lack some gloss when compared to a carnauba wax. They are a great compromise wax and I do have Fuzion as my Hybrid Wax. It is excellent.

So overall you can't go wrong with a coating or sealant. If you want to add depth, wet-look, brilliance and gloss; a good high quality carnauba wax is the way to go.

Now to others that read this may think I am smoking crack, however, this is what I do and I am not here to offend anyone. Again, this is just my opinion.

AGOatemywallet
11-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Now to others that read this may think I am smoking crack, however, this is what I do...

Is Crack as good as they say it is?

I am always looking for something New & Exciting

Kamakaz1961
11-01-2015, 02:35 PM

LMAO!!!:dblthumb2:

mcate
11-01-2015, 02:54 PM

I think coatings, sealants, & waxes all yield better depth & gloss than crack.

FUNX650
11-01-2015, 04:13 PM
I think coatings, sealants, & waxes all
yield better depth & gloss than crack.
Yea..But:
How 'bout those Fentanyl analogues?

Bob

RMM
11-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Yea..But:
How 'bout those Fentanyl analogues?

Bob