PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Subaru WRX STI

Pages : [1] 2

Danny9447537
10-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Hey guys,

This is my very first detail with the Flex 3401 so bear with me lol.

My vehicle was only 1 1/2 months old and it was beginning to get swirls and such from the weather of New Mexico. I wanted to practice and see how well I could detail my vehicle before I apply Cquartz UK in the next few weeks and I feel like I could've done better in certain areas as well as product/pad choice. I also plan on filling in some rock chips with Dr. Colorchip whenever that arrives.

Here's a breakdown of what I did.

Pads/backing plate:
- 5.5" standard backing plate that comes with the Flex 3401
- 6.5 " White and black Lake country Hybrid pads

Wash/Decon:
- Washed w/ Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
- Sprayed Wheels with Meguiar's Wheel cleaner
- After rinsing and drying off I sprayed Carpro Iron-X on the paint and let it soak for 3-4 min
- Gave it a good rinse w/ water and dried it with waffle weave drying towels.

Protection:
- Claybarred w/ Nanoscrub Fine Grade Towel
- Poorboy's Spray & Wipe for lubricant
- Polished w/ Menzerna SF 3500 w/ 6.5" white pad
- Sealed off w/ Wolfgang DGPS 3.0

Some things I learned in the process....

- Should've used 5" Hybrid pads with the 4" changeable backing plate because there were still some tiny swirls that you could barely see on random parts of the hood, roof, and doors.
- I used 1 new white pad throughout the entire polishing process and the Velcro had begun to rip itself from the foam (whoops!).
- Should've bought 4x white and orange 5" pads instead of buying the 6 pack combo of each color.
- I might try Wolfgang TSW w/ the white hybrid pad next time I get to polishing my car
- Lighting could've been much better as I only had one hard mounted light fixture on my ceiling and one LED work lamp...It was a pain moving the lamp everywhere I went so I went ahead and ordered a setup that was off of the "DIY garage lighting" thread on AG forums.

Some questions for the pro's:
- Have any of you guys had any issues with the 4" Lake Country backing plate for the Flex 3401? I only have one machine polisher and nothing else. I also heard that the backing plate cracks/melts under heat?
- Should I have gotten the Flex 4 3/8" backing plate instead and shave it down to 4"?

Here are some pics of the finished product (Sorry about the crap quality. I was using my phone to take them).

Feed back please

P.S. Also put Meguiar's Hot Shine on the wheels!

Rob T
10-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Congrats on the STi! I got my Hyper Blue a couple weeks ago and I am enjoying the hell out of it!

I just polished mine as well (pics attached are actually before polishing), using the Flex with the stock backing plate and 6.5 inch pads (Lake Country hydrotech), starting with the Cyan and Megs M101, followed by the Tangerine pad and Megs M205. I could have stopped there but I finished off with a fine pad and Denaise Wet Glaze that I still had laying around.

Results were excellent with this combo. I don't think you need to downsize your backing plate or pads to get better results. I'm not familiar with the hybrid pads that you used.

Danny9447537
10-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Another pic

Danny9447537
10-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Congrats on the STi! I got my Hyper Blue a couple weeks ago and I am enjoying the hell out of it!

I just polished mine as well (pics attached are actually before polishing), using the Flex with the stock backing plate and 6.5 inch pads (Lake Country hydrotech), starting with the Cyan and Megs M101, followed by the Tangerine pad and Megs M205. I could have stopped there but I finished off with a fine pad and Denaise Wet Glaze that I still had laying around.

Results were excellent with this combo. I don't think you need to downsize your backing plate or pads to get better results. I'm not familiar with the hybrid pads that you used.

Thanks, you too! I'm really digging that Hyper Blue you got there! I also have M105/M205 in my lineup as well!

The 5" pads were actually a recommendation from a couple detailers here on AGO that also had the Flex 3401.

One thing I do hate is how thin the paint is on the STI. I live 10 minutes from work and I've already got 4-5 tiny rock chips from vehicles driving in front me. It's ridiculous!

I was thinking about Paint protection film but that can cost an upwards of $1000+

I love your wheels! Are they BBS?

Rob T
10-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Yep, the paint is notorious for being soft on these cars. Trying to look on the bright side of that: it makes it easier to polish out the swirls. ;)

I think if you used your M105 you would have completely removed the swirls that you had left. If the swirls that are left bother you enough, you might want to try the M105 on them, and follow that with the M205.

Danny9447537
10-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Yep, the paint is notorious for being soft on these cars. Trying to look on the bright side of that: it makes it easier to polish out the swirls. ;)

I think if you used your M105 you would have completely removed the swirls that you had left. If the swirls that are left bother you enough, you might want to try the M105 on them, and follow that with the M205.

Yeah I'll actually give that a try when I do my test spot w/ Wolfgang TSW. I love the way it handles and feels on the road!

My decision actually came down to a 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2015 Challenger 392 SRT 8, and the STI.

Chose the STI due to the kind of weather we get here and the amount of space I get in the backseat :xyxthumbs: RWD in snow and ice is pretty dangerous

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-31-2015, 04:15 AM
Congrats on the new car! Nice work.

Should've used 5" Hybrid pads with the 4" changeable backing plate because there were still some tiny swirls that you could barely see on random parts of the hood, roof, and doors.

The size of the pad won't make any difference if there are swirls remaining in the paint. Adjust your technique. The new label Menzerna SF3500 is the old label SF4000. No difference in product. Pair this with the white Hybrid pad and run at speed 5. Reference my attached article.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

I used 1 new white pad throughout the entire polishing process and the Velcro had begun to rip itself from the foam (whoops!).

Live and learn.

Should've bought 4x white and orange 5" pads instead of buying the 6 pack combo of each color.

Pick up another 6 pack and grab 3 white and 3 orange. This way you will have 4 of these colors each on hand total.

I might try Wolfgang TSW w/ the white hybrid pad next time I get to polishing my car

Wolfgang TSR is identical to Menzerna SI1500. First adjust your technique and re accomplish with the SF3500 on white. Subaru paint is generally on the softer side. Being that your car is so new, it shouldn't need anything more aggressive than SF3500. This of course is with proper paint care from the get go.

Some questions for the pro's:
Have any of you guys had any issues with the 4" Lake Country backing plate for the Flex 3401? I only have one machine polisher and nothing else. I also heard that the backing plate cracks/melts under heat?

No. I am still on the original release plate system from 2011. No issues here.

Should I have gotten the Flex 4 3/8" backing plate instead and shave it down to 4"?

This is an option you can pursue to relieve your thoughts.

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-31-2015, 06:58 AM
I agree with Mike that you shouldn't need to go any more aggressive than you already have on your Subaru. Sometimes if you go more aggressive you will leave behind swirls that are induced by the pad / polish you have chosen and it will fool you into thinking you are not being aggressive enough when in fact you are being over aggressive.

I disagree that you will not see a benefit from a smaller pad, if for no other reason than a smaller pad will give you more control of the polisher, especially with the forced rotation of the Flex.

Some people have had issues with the Lake Country backing plates breaking, I have used mine pretty rigorously with no detrimental results. Definitely stock up on multiple pads and switch them out every 2 or 3 panels. It looks like you toasted that one in your picture.

Danny9447537
10-31-2015, 02:45 PM
Congrats on the new car! Nice work.

The size of the pad won't make any difference if there are swirls remaining in the paint. Adjust your technique. The new label Menzerna SF3500 is the old label SF4000. No difference in product. Pair this with the white Hybrid pad and run at speed 5. Reference my attached article.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

Live and learn.

Pick up another 6 pack and grab 3 white and 3 orange. This way you will have 4 of these colors each on hand total.

Wolfgang TSR is identical to Menzerna SI1500. First adjust your technique and re accomplish with the SF3500 on white. Subaru paint is generally on the softer side. Being that your car is so new, it shouldn't need anything more aggressive than SF3500. This of course is with proper paint care from the get go.

No. I am still on the original release plate system from 2011. No issues here.

This is an option you can pursue to relieve your thoughts.

Thanks for the helpful tips, Mike!

I also read your article and I was actually going too slow with fewer passes than you. I'll try and get 6-8 passes like what you suggested and see how that works.

I actually grabbed 4x orange and white hybrid pads for my arsenal but plan on picking up another six-pack combo in the near future.

I'll stick with Menzerna 3500 and see how well it goes. This time with better lighting!

Danny9447537
10-31-2015, 02:47 PM
I agree with Mike that you shouldn't need to go any more aggressive than you already have on your Subaru. Sometimes if you go more aggressive you will leave behind swirls that are induced by the pad / polish you have chosen and it will fool you into thinking you are not being aggressive enough when in fact you are being over aggressive.

I disagree that you will not see a benefit from a smaller pad, if for no other reason than a smaller pad will give you more control of the polisher, especially with the forced rotation of the Flex.

Some people have had issues with the Lake Country backing plates breaking, I have used mine pretty rigorously with no detrimental results. Definitely stock up on multiple pads and switch them out every 2 or 3 panels. It looks like you toasted that one in your picture.

From doing lots of research on the 4" backing plate, I actually found that it was a problem with the 6" changeable plate because there was an issue with the size of the shims but I believe Lake Country had already fixed it.

Yeah, the pad was toasted and the foam began tearing itself away from all sides.

GSKR
10-31-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm not a Subaru guy but that car hauls but nice car.

Muddyoldgoat
10-31-2015, 04:47 PM

I've had 2 go bad on me. First was brand new and melted at the mount bolt after a couple of panels.
I put one on each flex and swapped after each panel, worked great for about a month and then one cracked at the mount bolt.
Ive only taken them up to speed 5.
I am now going to have 2 plates trimmed down because that seems like the only way to go from here.

heckhole
10-31-2015, 06:22 PM
The only time I've had issues with pad velcro has been overworking them. I like to swap pads every panel and let them cool down. I have some 5.5" pads that are going on their 30th car. They are just starting to get beat up on the edges from hitting the odd emblem or two.

Danny9447537
11-01-2015, 05:44 AM
I've had 2 go bad on me. First was brand new and melted at the mount bolt after a couple of panels.
I put one on each flex and swapped after each panel, worked great for about a month and then one cracked at the mount bolt.
Ive only taken them up to speed 5.
I am now going to have 2 plates trimmed down because that seems like the only way to go from here.

Ive actually seen some articles of people taking their 4 3/8" backing plates to a machine shop to get it shaved down and then wrapping the sides in electrical tape. Would be nice if they made 5.5" hybrid pads.....

Danny9447537
11-01-2015, 05:45 AM
The only time I've had issues with pad velcro has been overworking them. I like to swap pads every panel and let them cool down. I have some 5.5" pads that are going on their 30th car. They are just starting to get beat up on the edges from hitting the odd emblem or two.

How many pads do you normally use per car of the same color?