PDA

View Full Version : mothers clay...how is it?

jam
09-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Just wondering how Mothers clay stacks up. I believe it is Mothers Califronia Gold Caly system or somethig like that?

Not being experienced with claying, when i last used it (with quick detailer) all it did was slide like crazy.....didn't give me the impression it was doing anything.

GrinchGreen
09-24-2007, 12:53 AM
I know what you are saying glides easy, but it is working. You can definitely tell it's working because you can see the gold clay getting dirty. I used it several times, and it does not seem to be harsh on the paint.

NEC
09-24-2007, 12:56 AM
There are special lubes for claying. You used a liquid wax type of thing. It's a fine mist, or soapy water and just gliding the bar across a panel in overlapping strokes. I use circles though. I cut a 1/4 inch section and stamp it on a clean surface until it's got good coverage area. I then use it on one side until it gets too dirty, I then switch over to the other after I rinse the bar as much as I can in clean water.

supercharged
09-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Mothers clay is good stuff. Glides easy with Showtime detailer, especially if your finish is only lightly contaminated.

PeTrol42
09-24-2007, 02:25 AM
I agree Mother's clay is good stuff but they only sell the clay bar in a kit. It comes with the Showtime QD, a small bottle of cleaning wax and a small 2.8 oz bar of clay for $18 bucks. A little pricey if you ask me.

supercharged
09-24-2007, 04:14 AM
I agree Mother's clay is good stuff but they only sell the clay bar in a kit. It comes with the Showtime QD, a small bottle of cleaning wax and a small 2.8 oz bar of clay for $18 bucks. A little pricey if you ask me.
yeah, it's pricey...you could use Clay Magic then...not bad at all form what I've heard...never used it myself though...

trhland
09-24-2007, 04:52 AM
claymagic is the way to go !10.99 for clay bar and lube bottle

Reddwarf
09-24-2007, 08:44 AM
claymagic is the way to go !10.99 for clay bar and lube bottle

:whs:

I used Mother's as well. The first use it was great, the second time it began to crumble on me. That could be my fault however.

Bunky
09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
I had purchased Meguiars Clay kit since it was about the same price as Mothers but you got more clay and a MF towel. I prefer Showtime over Meguiars detailer. Is Clay Magic's lube usable as a detailer like Showtime.

zaxjax
09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Pinnacle Poly Clay FTW!

jam
09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
ok, thanks guys! I guess I will give it a try again.

Is it best to use the clay as a whole piece or make small pieces?

blk45
09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
ok, thanks guys! I guess I will give it a try again.

Is it best to use the clay as a whole piece or make small pieces?

It doesn't matter as far as results go, but it's a good idea to at least break it into 2 pieces. That way, if you drop one, you will still have a good piece.