PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Well Protection?

Pages : [1] 2

98LowRanger
10-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Working on a full detail (coating the outside as well as the seats) on my fathers brand new Miata. Since it's my fathers I am going the extra mile to ensure everything I can clean and protect is touched. I have removed the wheels to coat the barrels so I thoroughly cleaned the wheel wells. They are 85% plastic lined (rear wells have a small fabric liner) so I was wondering if there was something I could apply to them to help keep them clean. I realize this area of the car takes a LOT of abuse, but is there something that can withstand the abuse the wheel wells take? Has anyone applied a coating to them or would this be a waste? I am hoping there is a cheaper alternative than a coating though. Like a 303 Aerospace type product. Open to suggestions.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
10-29-2015, 07:14 PM
I use CarPro Dlux coating for wheel wells. I normally do a few coats. For customers with garage queens, ill even coat the carpet area with CQuartz Fabric, a few coats as well. The longevity depends on many factors. It does make cleaning a whole lot easier.

GSKR
10-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Personally I would maybe give the plastic a good collinite once over spraying any water based conditioner or solvent based dressing more than likely it will eventually wash off.

Real Riders
10-29-2015, 08:10 PM
303 Aerospace Protectant

davidc
10-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Personally I would maybe give the plastic a good collinite once over spraying any water based conditioner or solvent based dressing more than likely it will eventually wash off.

I am going on 4 months with Collinite 476S. Still going and cleans easily.

Dave

AGOatemywallet
10-29-2015, 09:05 PM
+1 on DLUX for wheel wells

It will last 6-9 months

I am able to basically power wash them clean

For touch-up; I do hit them with Meg's D156 Synthetic Spray Wax and an old MF. Dirt and tar wipe off so easily.

98LowRanger
10-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I was going to cheap out and just go with a product like 303 Aeroapace, but I think I will go with DLUX instead. I have already taken the extra time and effort to remove the wheels and thoroughly clean the wells so I figure why go the cheap route. Might as well do it right and apply something like DLUX that will hopefully provide 8+ months of protection. He is older and doesn't take the time to clean his wheel wells, but unlike a lot of people he does at least pressure wash them during washing. This car is his nice day "toy" and gets driven an average of about 150 miles a month so that should help!

tenblade2001
10-30-2015, 12:11 AM
+1 for 303. I'll also use CG Barebones..truly a spray on and walk away.

AGOatemywallet
10-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Make sure you prep well before applying DLUX

If you use a product with strong surfactants, like an APC, make sure your rinse very well. I am convinced it will extend the longevity of the coating

98LowRanger
10-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Make sure you prep well before applying DLUX

If you use a product with strong surfactants, like an APC, make sure your rinse very well. I am convinced it will extend the longevity of the coating

Noted. Thanks! I planed on going over them with some Eraser or maybe just straight water before coating. Hoping for good results!

MarkD51
10-30-2015, 07:33 AM
CG Bare Bones is IMO more a product designed for the detail shop boys who do washes, and waxes for $49.99, to give you some eye candy when you pull your car out from the bay, and about the only good thing I can say about it, is it smells like grape Kool Aid.

Other than that, it does not last, is oily, runs-drips all over the place unless you're going to apply it with an applicator, attracts dirts and dusts. Go through one rainstorm and it's gone.

Even better products like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, which is not an inexpensive product (are any wolfgang products "inexpensive"?) is not going to serve good duty and last that long in this basically impossible to keep clean area.
(WETS is a great product for many other areas but would not particularly say this area)

I have both products I just mention on hand.

If you're willing to go that far with costs and work, and want long lasting protection, I doubt you'll find much that will be the equal of Carpro CQuartz DLX.

ski2
10-30-2015, 07:57 AM
My front wheel wells have full plastic liners so in July I cleaned them up very well and gave them a coat of Megs Paint Protect (the LSP that's supposed to last 365 days). Meguiars Paint Protect (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-protect.html)

So far they continue to look great and are very easy to clean--just a quick hit with the PW. Rears have that cardboard like material so I just hit them with some Armor All from time to time until I use it up then I'll have to start looking for something better.

MarkD51
10-30-2015, 08:54 AM
For a garage queen and show car, then this of course opens lots more options to dress Fender Wells.

For areas that are hard hit in winter with snow, and tons of salt on the roads like I often encountered for many years in the Midwest, I would do this:

That the best and cheapest option I found for some better lasting protection was coating all wheel wells with 3M rubberized Undercoating Spray in the can. . At least where there was metal wheel wells, many vehicles today, Trucks, SUVs still have such, mostly at the rear.

tenblade2001
10-31-2015, 12:11 PM
@ Mark,
I guess I either haven't noticed those problems or didn't experience them. I use the 303 for protections and the BB for dressing ( after weekly wash). I'll admit, I ignore these areas in the winter so I don't really see the effect rain has it. I just like the fact that I spray on, walk away and dries evenly.

GSKR
10-31-2015, 03:41 PM
I think it's overkill but if that's what you enjoy do it.