PDA

View Full Version : Repainted Roof - Ridge around Antenna

avenali312
10-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Good afternoon fellow AutoGeeks,

I'm in need of some assistance. Approximately a year ago I had my roof resprayed due to some clear coat failure. The new paint is holding up great, but I noticed something today. During some maintenance on my antenna (which required removal), I noticed that the antenna wasn't removed while the roof was repainted, so the paint is higher and looks like it could be prone to peeling back.

Is there anything simple I can do to sort of taper this ridge down and help prevent peeling? Would a compound and cutting pad do it, or would I be looking at wet sanding?

Side note: It was super gross under the antenna.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

http://adamavenali.com/mkv/20151029_130807.jpg

hogie
10-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Do you have a guarantee on your paint job? I would be steamed as that should have been removed to finish the job properly.

avenali312
10-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Do you have a guarantee on your paint job? I would be steamed as that should have been removed to finish the job properly.
I do. I've sent an email inquiring. I'm just here getting mentally prepared for the worst haha.

7PaintGuns
10-29-2015, 05:11 PM
Nothing you can do. Wet sanding may level out the edge but it will still peel and probably quickly. Did the estimate or work order have "remove and install antenna"?

avenali312
10-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Nothing you can do. Wet sanding may level out the edge but it will still peel and probably quickly. Did the estimate or work order have "remove and install antenna"?

Thanks for the advice. Looking at the work order now and it has two line items:

- Repair/Refinish, Roof: Scratches
- Hazardous Waste Removal

It would seem that the first item is just a catch-all term in their system for repainting a roof since it wasn't really scratched and more so just clear coat bubbling.

7PaintGuns
10-30-2015, 06:51 AM
If this was an insurance claim you need to get in touch with you agent and definitely need to speak to the adjuster and find out why your car was not repaired back to its original/pre-accident condition. If this was somthing you payed for your self you need to explain to the body shop you were unaware they would not be removing the antenna. In that case you may have to pay again but hopefully the shop will work with you and pay part of it themselves. Good luck!

7PaintGuns
10-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Here's a standard example...
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s668/Trump260Z/Mobile%20Uploads/20151030_074510_zpsahlzvwlg.jpg

avenali312
10-30-2015, 07:12 AM
If this was an insurance claim you need to get in touch with you agent and definitely need to speak to the adjuster and find out why your car was not repaired back to its original/pre-accident condition. If this was somthing you payed for your self you need to explain to the body shop you were unaware they would not be removing the antenna. In that case you may have to pay again but hopefully the shop will work with you and pay part of it themselves. Good luck!

Thanks for the example. My receipt is definitely not that detailed nor mentions anything about remove/install anything.

I did pay for this out of pocket since my car's paint was out of warranty and I was just trying to be proactive before it spread beyond the roof.

Here's another, higher resolution photo showing how it's already starting to peel away from the antenna. Hopefully, even though they didn't state they were going to remove it, this peeling is enough of a case for poor workmanship.

The receipt does state "All work is fully guaranteed for as long as you own this vehicle."

http://adamavenali.com/autogeek/roof_paint_01.jpg

99monguse
10-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the example. My receipt is definitely not that detailed nor mentions anything about remove/install anything.

I did pay for this out of pocket since my car's paint was out of warranty and I was just trying to be proactive before it spread beyond the roof.

Here's another, higher resolution photo showing how it's already starting to peel away from the antenna. Hopefully, even though they didn't state they were going to remove it, this peeling is enough of a case for poor workmanship.

The receipt does state "All work is fully guaranteed for as long as you own this vehicle."

http://adamavenali.com/autogeek/roof_paint_01.jpg
I work at a Mercedes/Volvo dealership and I work with my paint repair facility all day every day, and I have NEVER seen something like that, you do NOT paint around an antenna

avenali312
10-30-2015, 09:49 AM
I work at a Mercedes/Volvo dealership and I work with my paint repair facility all day every day, and I have NEVER seen something like that, you do NOT paint around an antenna

Thanks for the extra confidence. Yeah, like I could see if it was a hard metal object, but the gasket around this is soft rubber. How could you not assume that the flex would eventually break the seal with the paint...