PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Coating Updates

Pages : [1] 2

kevincwelch
10-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Can anyone who has been using the Blackfire coating (that came out several months ago) post a quick follow-up on the longevity, gloss, etc. of the coating?

The Wolfgang coating sounds really interesting, but I find it hard to believe 15mL covers three cars. (That's probably because I use about 15mL of C1 on one car and 15mL of 22PLE on one car. Maybe I just over-apply.) Also interested to hear from Nick on the longevity of this coating as well.

Nick McKees37
10-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Can anyone who has been using the Blackfire coating (that came out several months ago) post a quick follow-up on the longevity, gloss, etc. of the coating?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection applied it to a Focus ST a few months ago, maybe he can chime in.

I had it on the hood of my Civic for 15 months and counting, and it was still going strong.

Here's some "inside info" on BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat. Hold onto your seat, I'm going to tell you like it is.

It's the most chemical resistant coating manufactured by PBMG. I would encourage anyone to compare it to Cquartz, Gloss Coat, etc. I'm certain it will perform as well or better.
It provides the thickest film of all the coatings manufactured by PBMG. Again, I would encourage anyone to compare it to the aforementioned coatings, or any other industry leaders.
The "2 year" longevity rating is very conservative. Anyone that's experienced with coatings will easily see 4 or 5 years from Crystal Coat.
Crystal Coat is the most difficult coating to apply manufactured by PBMG. BLACKFIRE enthusiasts tend to be more savvy than others, which is why we put our focus on 99% performance and 1% ease of application. Remember, difficult is a relative term. Coatings that are absolutely dumby proof to apply, like PBL Diamond Paint Coating or the new Uber Ceramic Coating by Wolfgang, make others look difficult by comparison.
Crystal Coat has the shortest shelf life (once opened) of any coating manufactured by PBMG. If you noticed on this product, it has a unique seal that is not shared with any other product we manufacture. Unlike most seals which are applied and secured by the pressure of tightening the cap, Crystal Coat has a unique (and costly) heat seal. This allows for a long shelf life for an unopened bottle. Once you open it, however, the coating immediately begins to cross link because it is oxygen activated.

The Wolfgang coating sounds really interesting, but I find it hard to believe 15mL covers three cars. (That's probably because I use about 15mL of C1 on one car and 15mL of 22PLE on one car. Maybe I just over-apply.) Also interested to hear from Nick on the longevity of this coating as well.

Here's the "catch 22" with Uber Ceramic Coating. Someone experienced, like me or you, could probably squeeze 5 or 6 cars out of a 15cc syringe of Uber Ceramic Coating. But here's the deal:

5cc per midsize car (paint only) is the minimum required to create a film thick enough that will be able to withstand environmental contaminants for up to 3 years. If you manage to coat an entire vehicle with just 2cc of product (which is certainly possible), don't count on it lasting for more than 18 months or so. If you plan on using it for your personal vehicle, I would personally recommend applying it thicker than recommended for maximum protection and longevity.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating is, in my opinion, the easiest coating to apply. Even if you've used never a coating, you will have this one mastered after just one panel. There is no compromise with this product. :dblthumb2:

Hope that sheds some light on your questions Keven. :)

kevincwelch
10-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Nick!

Both sound like excellent products. I'm trying to find a good coating for my parents' vehicles -- both of which are outside 24/7 in the Key West sun and salt. Longevity is my main concern, but my dad has a pretty nice Taco, and the gloss would make it great as well.

MattPersman
10-29-2015, 12:10 PM
I put it on my Prius a month or two ago and it has caught me a few times walking towards it in my parking lot thinking man that car is shiny glossy whatever then I look up a bit more and realize it's mine. It is a bit more difficult to apply I consider it like cquartz and UK IMO

The beading is as good as any longevity it to be seen but I can imagine it being bad

The prep spray was also very very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronkh57
10-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I put it on my sons' challenger.

Easier than uk, same type of look.

Looks good, easy to apply.

Ck sister site for the thread (don't remember name of thread)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2015, 01:06 PM
I have applied this product back in May to a performance blue Focus ST. I would have to say that I have not noticed any degradation of the coating one bit in these past 5 months. It still posses the same level of performance from the get go.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92047-product-review-blackfire-crystal-coat-paint-coating.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92484-blackfire-coating-wash-beading-sheeting-videos-photoshoot.html

Nick, could you provide an illustrated comparison between the BlackFire Crystal Coat and Wolfgang Über Ceramic Coat?

Desertnate
10-29-2015, 01:36 PM

I coated my daughter's car with the product in August. The vehicle sits out 24/7 either on campus or at her apartment. Both areas are surrounded by construction and the car is filthy most of the time. It has only been washed twice since the coating was applied.

When I washed the car last weekend I found the gloss to be just as good as when applied. When clean it looks fantastic on metallic grey paint. Water nearly bounces off the surface when washing, and the sheeting action is the fastest I've ever seen (but I don't have THAT much experience).

So far it's really doing well. It's the perfect product for this car. Rain will wash it nearly as clean as a good washing by hand.

Crystal Coat is the most difficult coating to apply manufactured by PBMG. BLACKFIRE enthusiasts tend to be more savvy than others, which is why we put our focus on 99% performance and 1% ease of application. Remember, difficult is a relative term. Coatings that are absolutely dumby proof to apply, like PBL Diamond Paint Coating or the new Uber Ceramic Coating by Wolfgang, make others look difficult by comparison.

Nick: You have no idea how much better I feel after reading this. The Blackfire Coating was my first and only coating application until Spring. I really struggled with the application, but now I don't feel *quite* as bad.

Desertnate
10-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Crystal Coat has the shortest shelf life (once opened) of any coating manufactured by PBMG. If you noticed on this product, it has a unique seal that is not shared with any other product we manufacture. Unlike most seals which are applied and secured by the pressure of tightening the cap, Crystal Coat has a unique (and costly) heat seal. This allows for a long shelf life for an unopened bottle. Once you open it, however, the coating immediately begins to cross link because it is oxygen activated.

Uh...Oh. I just saw this. I opened the bottle in August and won't use it again until March. I keep it sealed up, but I hope it will still be good again when I do the next car.

Justin at Final Inspection
10-31-2015, 05:19 AM
I have used it with great success. Especially on wheels. Up until now the Crystal coat has been my go to coating. But I may be switching now that I have put Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating in my daily and it was super easy.

spewking
10-31-2015, 06:29 AM
Nick, from your reply above ( sorry, don't know how to post quote of just part of posting and dint want to quote nicks entire response):

The "2 year" longevity rating is very conservative. Anyone that's experienced with coatings will easily see 4 or 5 years from Crystal coat.

Nick, what is the durability of uber expected to be compared to the blackfire?

mwoolfso
10-31-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks Nick! Extremely informative and valuable.

kevincwelch
10-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Nick. Based on this and other posts, I went with the Wolfgang coating. Looking forward to using it in the future.

choijw2
10-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Nick, thanks for great info and also thanks to Mike@DedicatedPerfection
hes been great help as well on this product.

One quick question,

I understand it has long shelf life when its unopened,
but how long does it last once you open them?

StangFan25
10-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Nick, thanks for great info and also thanks to Mike@DedicatedPerfection
hes been great help as well on this product.

One quick question,

I understand it has long shelf life when its unopened,
but how long does it last once you open them?

Been answered in other threads. Up to 18 months.

choijw2
10-31-2015, 03:19 PM
Been answered in other threads. Up to 18 months.

Thank you sir :xyxthumbs: