PDA

View Full Version : Does headlight protective film prevent clouding after restoration?

ymc226
10-29-2015, 08:28 AM
I just got the WG headlight restoration kit and have read that most headlight restorations need to be redone several times a year to maintain clarity.

Will using one of the protective films (from Xpel or Lamin X) prevent the loss of clarity if I just used the WG headlight sealant at the end of the restoration process?

RaskyR1
10-29-2015, 09:48 AM
My understanding is that PPF's do not have any UV protection in them, otherwise your uncovered panels would fade differently than the cover areas. You need to reapply an actual UV coating if you want it to last.

Mint555
10-29-2015, 10:44 AM
My understanding is that PPF's do not have any UV protection in them, otherwise your uncovered panels would fade differently than the cover areas. You need to reapply an actual UV coating if you want it to last.

What do you use when you restore a headlight?

RaskyR1
10-29-2015, 11:14 AM
What do you use when you restore a headlight?

I don't currently offer headlight restoration as a service. I may sand and polish them for the owner if asked but I let them know the UV coating is gone or compromised and that the results may not last long. I do apply Optimum's Opti-Lens for some added protection though.

There are proper kits out there that come with a spray on UV coating, which is typically cured with a UV lamp. David from Innovative Detailing (http://www.innovativedetailing.com/headlight-lens-restoration/) in Cali offers a HLR class and is who I'd contact if you want more info on doing HLR correctly..

Mint555
10-29-2015, 12:00 PM
I don't currently offer headlight restoration as a service. I may sand and polish them for the owner if asked but I let them know the UV coating is gone or compromised and that the results may not last long. I do apply Optimum's Opti-Lens for some added protection though.

There are proper kits out there that come with a spray on UV coating, which is typically cured with a UV lamp. David from Innovative Detailing (http://www.innovativedetailing.com/headlight-lens-restoration/) in Cali offers a HLR class and is who I'd contact if you want more info on doing HLR correctly..

Thanks for the info! :xyxthumbs:

Mantilgh
10-29-2015, 12:52 PM
I thought that the films do provide some protection. On a WRX forum I use to frequent I saw thread where the owner was removing an old (5 year ish I think) headlight film. The film was severely oxidized but the headlight underneath was in great shape.

I have also thought the I have seen instances where clear films where removed from paint and there was a difference in fading. Not positive on that though.

SameGuy
10-29-2015, 01:14 PM
That would be an issue of surface defects in the clear coat. Base coats do not fade from UV exposure, and most clear coat defects are optical (scratches, oxidation, etching and contamination), not chemical (clear coat breakdown caused by UV or chemical exposure).

7PaintGuns
10-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Base coats most definitely fade from uv exposure, that's why CC has UV protection and it is recomended to maintain atleast a low level of orange peel to refract light in multiple directions instead of straight on sun exposure.

7.3powerstroke
10-29-2015, 02:03 PM
it is recomended to maintain atleast a low level of orange peel to refract light in multiple directions instead of straight on sun exposure.

I have never heard anything like this before. Great info, thanks for posting!

FUNX650
10-29-2015, 02:40 PM
it is recomended to maintain atleast a low level of orange peel to refract light in multiple directions instead of straight on sun exposure.
Truthfully:
Before I can accept this as a fact...

I propose that the entire scope of:
"The Laws of Reflection"...should be
taken into considerstion.

Bob

7PaintGuns
10-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Truthfully:
Before I can accept this as a fact...

I propose that the entire scope of:
"The Laws of Reflection"...should be
taken into considerstion.

Bob

I'm familiar with the basics but not the entire scope. I'm just a dumb painter... Obviously if a car sits in one spot for years it wont matter but I have been told by a few people from PPG and DuPont that reflecting the light from multiple angles instead of having the sun bake down in one big flat "mirror" surface will provide better UV protection.

I recently sanded and cleared a pair of headlamps for a friend of mine. CC has UV protection and can obviously be sealed and waxed. I will let you know how it holds up after a few months. If you don't want to purchase new lights and don't want to restore them every few weeks this may be a decent alternative...

SameGuy
10-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Base coats most definitely fade from uv exposure, that's why CC has UV protection and it is recomended to maintain atleast a low level of orange peel to refract light in multiple directions instead of straight on sun exposure.

Yes, if not protected by the clear. But the paint itself can't fade where there is no PPF, unless there is no clear on the car.

The Guz
10-29-2015, 08:29 PM
I will see if I still have the xpel directions but it did state it offers UV protection I have it on my personal car and it's been 7 years and the headlights look like day one and the film is clear.