PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

VincenzaV
10-28-2015, 08:03 PM
I am doing headlight restorations (New business).

I have the following supplies and want to confirm the order of the abrasive ness and have you help me fill in the gaps if you see any.

This is what I have:

3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound
3M Machine Polish Perfect It
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
3M Trizact 1000
3M Trizact 3000
3m Trizact 5000
Novus #3 Heavy Scratch Remover
Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover
SafeTClear 4Everclear UV Clearcoat and Protectant.

For machines, I only have a corded drill (Buying a DA in less than a month)

AES 3" Polishing Pad Kit:
-Gray Foam (says soft polishing final step)
-Orange Foam (says heavy cutting)
-Beige Wool (says heavy cutting)
-Yellow Wool (says Medium cutting)

I have a few 3M 500 and 800 sanding discs, but I am running low.

What order (think flow chart) should I put these in? I am aware that all headlight restorations have varying degrees of how bad they are or not. I do want to have a "worst case scenario" order established so I can not waste time going too aggressive and save time too.

Mike Phillips
11-23-2015, 09:05 AM
I am aware that all headlight restorations have varying degrees of how bad they are or not.

I do want to have a "worst case scenario" order established so I can not waste time going too aggressive and save time too.

You hit the nail on the head with the sentence in BOLD above.

Each set of headlights will be case by case. The BIG picture is to use the least aggressive sandpaper needed to completely remove the oxidization and get down to a fresh base of plastic and then work your way back up in grit levels to make the buffing step faster, easier and more complete.

Really bad headlights might require #500 grit but when using low grit papers like this you have to work your way out with more steps as trying to make too big a jump from a low grit to a high grit will simply leave the deep sanding marks behind in the plastic.

What I would do is dial in your pricing for customers with really bad headlights. Point the condition of the headlight out to the customer and then educate them on what is required to do the job right.

My guess is most people driving around with headlights at are extremely bad are also not the kind of people that care about perfection or what's required to reach perfection. I would also guess that most of these people will have unreal expectations.

Maybe offer 2 packages.

Good - Headlights are clear and protected.

Best - Headlights are factory new.

Then let the customer pick which level they want.

Restoring really bad headlights is all about how much time you invest in the sanding steps. Maybe look into finding a sources for inexpensive wet/dry sanding papers.

More important....

GET A ROTARY BUFFER

The fastest way to remove sanding marks out of anything is with a wool pad on a rotary buffer. The after you remove the sanding marks re-polish using any orbital polisher to remove the holograms out of the plastic.

:)

VincenzaV
11-23-2015, 07:16 PM
GREAT advice Mike. I am buying a Flex PE8 and a PC 7424 off you guys. I am working on the rest of my order for this business, I want to order everything in one day (Including my Generac Inverter, LED work lamps, UV curing lamps, etc...)

I think the 7424 and the PE 8 is the best combo for this with expansion capability into paint correction one day.

jimmyjames1
12-18-2015, 12:03 AM
If you want to make it easier just sand by hand , it gives you more control and you can get into tight corners easier.For very cloudy headlights sand with 500,800,1500 wet, 2000 wet. Get some Meguiars M100 pro speed compound and LC 3.5 in. Purple foamed wool pads. It finishes down lsp ready. They will look BRAND new. I do use a DeWalt 849 though.

jimmyjames1
12-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Hey Mike, have you ever used M100 Pro speed compound and 3.5 in. LC Purple foamed wool pads for cloudy headlights? After of course going through the sanding steps. I was so AMAZED, I just went straight to lsp. Got to LOVE SMAT compounds from Meguiars.

VincenzaV
12-20-2015, 07:43 PM
What is LSP? Thanks.

rlmccarty2000
12-20-2015, 08:40 PM
LSP-Last Step Product. Examples- Wax or Coating.

VincenzaV
12-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Got it, thank you!