PDA

View Full Version : G15 trouble with pad spinning

ct18
10-28-2015, 10:05 AM
I am just a weekend novice. I have trouble with the pad rotation on the g15. It happens on both horizontal and vertical panels. It seems like if i hold up on the machine it helps. When i see videos of guys using it they don't seem to be having much trouble. What am i doing that is not correct.
I am using a assortment of pads, from the ones that came from Griots to Lake County

7.3powerstroke
10-28-2015, 10:33 AM
What speed are you using? You should have absolutely no trouble on flat panels. Especially since you are using Griots pads

RaskyR1
10-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Make sure the pad/tool is relatively flat and level as too much tilting can cause free spinning DA's to stall. This can be hard to see yourself so see if someone can watch you while you're using the tool and have them verify if you're level or not. It was already asked above, but what speed were you using?

ct18
10-28-2015, 10:38 AM
I have been going between 4 and 5. I will set it at 5 when using the correction pad, then down to 4 or 4.5 with polish.

I do notice that i need to concentrate more on keeping the machine level with the contour of the panel. I have a new appreciation for you guys that do this on a daily basis. I get really frustrated sometimes and jump back to my PC for the polish steps.

RaskyR1
10-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I have been going between 4 and 5. I will set it at 5 when using the correction pad, then down to 4 or 4.5 with polish.

I do notice that i need to concentrate more on keeping the machine level with the contour of the panel. I have a new appreciation for you guys that do this on a daily basis. I get really frustrated sometimes and jump back to my PC for the polish steps.

On those speeds it should have no trouble keeping rotation. Did you installer the washers that came with the tool? When you hold the tool up does the backing plate spin freely?

It's hard at first as you really can't see if you're level when you're standing over the tool and you'd be amazed at how many people don't keep it flat when they first start using it. Hang in there! :)

ct18
10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
I did install the washer. I will concentrate more on my technique.

ski2
10-28-2015, 02:10 PM
I have two of the washers provided by Griots in my G15--no problems with stalling--one washer is not thick enough to keep the backing plate away from the shroud. Have you marked your backing plate so you can monitor the rotation---since it's black, I got a silver permanent marker and it works great.

Justin at Final Inspection
10-28-2015, 02:28 PM
I have two of the washers provided by Griots in my G15--no problems with stalling--one washer is not thick enough to keep the backing plate away from the shroud. Have you marked your backing plate so you can monitor the rotation---since it's black, I got a silver permanent marker and it works great.

This is exactly what I did on my G21. Installed both washers and marked the backing plate. 2 washers make the world of difference. Just make sure to keep the screw tight.

ct18
11-17-2015, 09:41 PM
I discovered the washer was gone. I am 99.9 percent sure i put it on because its not in the bag. I took a 3/8" washer i had and put it on and everything is good, it fits perfect.

I am wondering if it broke off. i remember while working on the wife's car a while back it was getting real hot and that's when the issues started. Since i put the new washer in it runs great and no more heat problem.