PDA

View Full Version : Should I expect to get 100% of surface contaminants with clay?

TacoRun
10-27-2015, 10:59 PM
I clayed my vehicle today for the first time, and it was my first time in general. I'm not the original owner, but in it's 21,000 mile life I doubt it has been clayed before. I clayed it, and I did have a good amount of contaminants being picked up, but I felt like there is still a bit left, due to the sandwich bag test.

Basically my question is, is it possible to get all of the contaminants? Should I keep claying until I get a smooth finish?

I'm using Pinnacle Ultra-poly Clay.

medicscott
10-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Typically you can remove all surface contaminants. But you might need a little extra help. Get a bottle of IronX and chemically decontaminate the microscopic metal particles attached to your vehicles paint. You'll instantly see and feel the difference.

TacoRun
10-28-2015, 12:30 AM
I took a look at this IronX stuff and it sounds like just what I need. Thank you, sir.

asianisafish
10-28-2015, 12:33 AM
Maybe a more aggressive clay may help, depends how you plan on finishing this detail you're doing.

Also when you clay be sure to use lots of lube!

DogRescuer
10-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Typically you can remove all surface contaminants. But you might need a little extra help. Get a bottle of IronX and chemically decontaminate the microscopic metal particles attached to your vehicles paint. You'll instantly see and feel the difference.

I took a look at this IronX stuff and it sounds like just what I need. Thank you, sir.

From my limited understanding, iron x will only remove iron thus the name. The other metals/crap imbeded in your clear it won't remove, continue claying n be patient. Then decide if you want to do a light polish.

GSKR
10-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Poly clay isn't that effective,maybe bump up the grade to medium.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay is very light and is best suited to maintaining well preserved vehicles. For vehicles that haven't received claying in years you will surely need a more aggressive clay.

For the average vehicle I reach for Meguiar's C2000 blue mild clay. For neglected vehicles I will opt for the red C2100 aggressive clay.

evo77
10-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Doesn't stepping up a grade to a more aggressive clay open the risk to potentially marring the surface?

GSKR
10-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Yes it deos,try the iron x then use a fine clay first,if no good results go to medium or if you have a da buy the nano pad and work on a very low setting.

FUNX650
10-28-2015, 09:42 AM
You can always expect the best (100%); doesn't
mean you're always going to get it though.

No matter...In the long run:
You'll decide what will suffice.

Bob

Kamakaz1961
10-28-2015, 10:32 AM
IMO regardless whether you clay, Iron X and still have not passed the baggie test; a polish might be needed. There are many polishes that will help make your ride smooth. Additionally, there are a few re-wax cleaners that do have some "polishing" capabilities that will help "smooth out" your ride.

I know this is a longer process, however, you will know that it is done right.

Everyone posting here is correct I am 100% agreement with them. But based on what you commented on that is still has not passed the "baggie" test a polish or pre-wax cleaner may be included in your step.

I say since you are spending time to correct your Baby why not include the extra step.

Hey Bob (FUNX650) can I expect 99.99999% instead of 100% after this is done? Please advise!!!....LOL PS: Go easy on me!!!

FUNX650
10-28-2015, 11:39 AM
IMO regardless whether you clay, Iron X and
still have not passed the baggie test;
a polish might be needed.

I know this is a longer process, however,
you will know that it is done right.

I say since you are spending time to correct
your Baby why not include the extra step.

Hey Bob (FUNX650) can I expect 99.99999% instead of 100% after this is done? Please advise!!!....LOL PS: Go easy on me!!!
I totally agree with you; including: the polishing
step(s)...as a follow-up to the paint decontaminating
step(s).

TO WIT:

I've found out that, if: I always at least use a
"light polish" after I clay, it results in having
very smooth...Nay: very slick surfaces.

But when it comes to talking about "slick"...
IMO...I believe that Drake said it best:

"It's as slick as a pimp from Augusta,
that just had his linen suit dry-cleaned."

Bob

TacoRun
10-28-2015, 11:59 AM
My plan to begin with was to clay, polish and wax; so I'll continue with that plan. I have Klasse AIO so hopefully that does the trick.