PDA

View Full Version : Non Modded Free Spin?

dlc95
10-27-2015, 10:59 PM
I run my Duetto without the washer mod. After last night's grueling session, I no longer have backing plate/shroud contact!

It's been getting tore up from use. I get bits of shroud material all over my work area.

Anyways, the backing plate free spins like my PC 7424xp. Still works great though!

Zubair
10-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Free spin all the way! You really gona enjoy it more now :)

Dylan@RUPES
10-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Let us know if you need to replace that shroud - don't want rubber bits contaminating your work area.

FWIW - from the factory the contact side (top) of the backing plate is lubricated, I generally add a tiny bit more each time I clean the tool. Pull the plate, run a light bead of lubrication on the shroud, clean inside the housing, reinstall the plate. Keeps it from deteriorating with the friction.

dlc95
10-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Let us know if you need to replace that shroud - don't want rubber bits contaminating your work area.

FWIW - from the factory the contact side (top) of the backing plate is lubricated, I generally add a tiny bit more each time I clean the tool. Pull the plate, run a light bead of lubrication on the shroud, clean inside the housing, reinstall the plate. Keeps it from deteriorating with the friction.

Dylan, what type of lubricant do you at Rupes recommend?

I inadvertently cleaned mine up while cleaning the tool a while ago. Since then the aroma of burning rubber has permeated my work area!

Kind of disappointing because the Zephyr actually smells really good.

Yes, it looks like I'll need a new shroud. There is literally no contact any more.

dlc95
10-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Free spin all the way! You really gona enjoy it more now :)

I've tried it modded in the past, but I really wanted to master using it the way the manufacturer recommended and designed it. Once I got the hang of it, everything was fine. I do keep the washer with me "just in case", but I haven't felt the need to to use it.

Dylan@RUPES
10-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Dylan, what type of lubricant do you at Rupes recommend?

I inadvertently cleaned mine up while cleaning the tool a while ago. Since then the aroma of burning rubber has permeated my work area!

Kind of disappointing because the Zephyr actually smells really good.

Yes, it looks like I'll need a new shroud. There is literally no contact any more.

I'm working on getting you an equivalent answer. At the factory level they use something that for the life of me I can't find here in the US, so as soon as I have the specs I'll point you at an equivalent option you can source locally. :xyxthumbs:

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2015, 07:18 PM
It is recommended to use dielectric grease to lubricate the backing plate / shroud area.

:xyxthumbs:

dlc95
10-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks, guys!

Dylan@RUPES
10-29-2015, 11:52 AM
It is recommended to use dielectric grease to lubricate the backing plate / shroud area.

:xyxthumbs:

Expanding on this a little...

a short term home remedy is to use petroleum jelly. Not high tech and will require more frequent application, but it does work and you probably already have some in the house.

with the dielectric grease I would recommend non-silicone versions if the use of the tools would occur in a bodyshop environment to be safe.

dlc95
10-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Expanding on this a little...

a short term home remedy is to use petroleum jelly. Not high tech and will require more frequent application, but it does work and you probably already have some in the house.

with the dielectric grease I would recommend non-silicone versions if the use of the tools would occur in a bodyshop environment to be safe.

Sounds good Dylan, Thanks!

paulybee
12-28-2015, 06:11 PM
The same thing happens with mine. My only compliant about the tool..