PDA

View Full Version : Storing Waxes in a Styrofoam Chest?

TheAverageMan
10-26-2015, 11:38 PM
So winter is coming, my first winter after catching the detailing bug. Question about storing my products in the garage.

I have the following (Excuse the spelling, going off the top of my head) (I got almost all of these for free, except for the ULW and WG Fuzion)

Ps21 Wax
Poor Boys Blue Natty paste
Wolfgang Fuzion
Zaino 2 and 5
Pinnacle Souveran
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
Collinite 476
FK 1000
FK Pink
Black Fire Wet Ice Over Fire combo

So I bought this little styrofoam chest from Walmart for 3 dollars, and put everything inside to store in the garage, since I didn't think that my black and yellow Costco chest would insulate it well enough.

Question, would the temperature inside the chest at least maintain a constant room temperature, despite the cold from the winter, or the heat in the garage during the summer?

Talking about California winters, where the lowest it will hit is like 35ish, with highs of 105s.

Anyone want to share their storage techniques for their waxes?

I mean, I could get a temperature thing from Accurite that one of our members has and put it inside the chest, and compare it to ambient temperatures outside, but I don't have the means to do that, so any help would do, or shared experiences. Thanks guys.

2black1s
10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
The answer in a nutshell is no. The styrofoam chest will slow the rate of temperature change but with enough dwell time your stuff is still going to get hot and cold.

TheAverageMan
10-27-2015, 12:08 AM
Would it delay it enough to survive the cold night til it warms up in the day, or to survive the hot day til it cools down at night?

GSKR
10-27-2015, 06:09 AM
Just bring it sealed into the house somewhere.

MarkD51
10-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Agreed,
I keep all my good detailing products indoors, both summer and winter.
My storage sheds are like ovens in summer, and either extreme can make products go funny in a hurry.

KMdef9
10-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Unless you have a temp controlled garage, they HAVE to come inside.

EliteDetailing
10-27-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't think you will have any issues with lows of 35F. Typically if it is above freezing your wax should be fine.

Come out to Chicago & 35 becomes warm during the winter, LOL.