PDA

View Full Version : new guy, need a little advice

Ncpantherfan71
10-26-2015, 03:10 PM
I have always cleaned and waxed by hand but now I am looking to step up into da polishing and paint correcting. I have watched you tube videos and read so much info on the net my head is spinning...
I have the following vehicles I will be working on and would like to ask a few question.
2004 Ford Explorer, black. Paint is in poor condition, oxidized and several scratches. It has 225k miles and is my teen aged sons first car. I'm going to use it to practice and hopefully learn how to get good results.
2007 Toyota Tundra, black. I purchased brand new, took real good care of it for the first few years then while stationed at Hill AFB, sprinkler water spots really got bad and I kind of said forget it for several years. Paint is in fair condition, water spot etchings and a few scratches I would like to get rid of or at least minimize.
2007 BMW 328, white. Daily driver, paint in pretty good condition, being white scratches are hard to see but would like to get it to shine a little better.
2006 Mini Cooper S, Red with white top. My wife's car. Hood has several rock chips and hazing around windshield washer nozzles, a few scratches and the red is starting to fade just a little around the rear hatch. I would like to get this to really pop. She loves her Cooper, even though I don't care for red at all it does look good when clean.

I looking at the groits garage 6 inch and 3 inch da combo, and I thinking on getting lake country ccs pads in yellow, orange, white and gray.
I will probably use megs 105, 205 because I can get it locally. If there is a significantly better product you recommend that isn't too expensive I will listen to advice and input.
How many pads of each color would I need to finish the truck? What is the best way to clean pads without a pad cleaner? How can you tell the pads need to be cleaned?
My plan is to correct and polish, seal with groits synthetic sealer and top with 2 or 3 coats of groits best in show carnauba on the trucks and the Cooper. I prefer the deep look of carnauba. Since the BMW is white, I'll seal and coat with megs white wax.

Does all this sound like a good plan? If you have any suggestions or advice for a noob at power detailing, please share. I have a few other questions, but I think this post is too long as it is.

DogRescuer
10-26-2015, 03:58 PM
To start: the gg6 is fine/ 105 -205-good

Kamakaz1961
10-26-2015, 04:07 PM
GG6 and Meg 105 205 is a great combo. Lake Country CCS Pads IMO would be Orange, White and Black (grey I am assuming). IMO that is all you need. Additionally, save your money and forget the GG 3". You can set up your GG6 with the same 3" backing plates and pads as the GG3. IMO the GG3 is very weak and it is only good for applying sealant or wax. I had one and gave it away. The GG6 has a lifetime warranty and is sufficient for you needs.

GSKR
10-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Get the lake country pads,skip the 105 real pita to work with,skip the 3 inch da pad on the griot machine it's a waste .keep the job simple order from ag ,get the pinnacle compound and pinnacle polish order 4 cutting pads orange and red finishing pads for polishing .The griots da is a good choice and order a can of collinite 845 or fleet wax it will give you durability .Everyone is gonna chime in on different opinions about pads and products,I've been doing this for 23 years ,to keep the job simple go with this plan make sure you have plenty of clay,and that explorer may need some serious compound and polishing ,I don't know your skill level but when using a da it has limitations good luck and have fun.

The Guz
10-26-2015, 04:44 PM
If you are looking to stick with a Meguiar's compound I would go with either M100 or ultimate compound. M105 can be tricky for a first timer.

It seems like the Griots Boss correction liquids are getting good reviews. You may want to consider them along with their new pads and use the entire Griots system.

Ncpantherfan71
10-26-2015, 05:45 PM
The main reason for the megs compounds is because I can get them locally, no real preference on brands for me. I have many of the groits products because they were available here in the local stores.

I'll skip the 3 inch buffer. My thought process on pads was explorer would need more work, so the more aggressive yellow, then orange as a start for the other cars, the white to finish polish, then apply the selant with the gray pad. I have a rotary buffer I used to polish the gel coat on my boat, but don't want to risk it on car paint yet. I will look into the boss line a little more. I also have plenty of clay. I used to clay my truck every 5-6 months before I got discouraged by the water spots.

All the videos show buffing on perfectly flat surfaces. How do you handle curved surfaces like the hood of the Tundra and the front fenders of the Cooper, that is where I thought the 3 inch would come in handy.

I'm not looking to make this a career, jut keep my cars looking good and maybe do a few family members cars.

Thanks again, I'm still trying to learn.

GSKR
10-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Utube mike Phillips video ,he shares his knowledge and passion,I would start with the explorer and get the feel of the machine and pads 105 can be real finicky I think that will be your biggest problem .