PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat on Carbon Fiber - Help!

Pages : [1] 2

Karl Hungus
10-26-2015, 11:15 AM
I recently purchased a new motorcycle, and the first thing I did after I got it was to put on an aftermarket slip-on exhaust, a Yoshimura R77 in carbon fiber.

This afternoon, I put on an adhesive tank pad. Prior to putting on the pad, I cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol in order to remove the wax from the surface. Long story short, after I’d wiped the surface and put on the pad, in a fleeting moment of carelessness, I used the alcohol-dampened cloth to wipe a bit of gunk of the tip of my new, $500 carbon fiber exhaust. Now, the clear coat looks to be marred, as the surface has a whitish appearance to it.

So, how do I go about repairing this? I’m willing to pay someone to do this professionally, if need be, but I’d rather believe there’s a simpler fix I could do myself. Is there any chance I could simply wet sand and polish it, without applying a new layer of clear coat? I didn’t see liquified clear coat dripping like snot off the muffler tip, so I have to assume the bulk of the coat is still intact. Being carbon fiber, the exhaust doesn’t get hot at all, especially near the tip, so I seriously doubt it would require any sort of high-temp clear coat.

Any knowledge, advice, wisdom, etc. would be deeply appreciated here!

RFrommann
10-26-2015, 11:49 AM
where are you located?
post pictures

Karl Hungus
10-26-2015, 11:57 AM
where are you located?
post pictures

I'm in Florida. Here are a couple pics. The surface doesn't feel any different, if that means anything.

GSKR
10-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Try using a wax or polish by hand,it looks damaging,I did a mc claren mb I was told not to wax carbon fiber.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-26-2015, 12:34 PM
I would start off with a finishing polish on a polishing pad an go from there.

Karl Hungus
10-26-2015, 03:43 PM
I would start off with a finishing polish on a polishing pad an go from there.

I actually applied a coat of Turtle Wax Ice shortly afterward, to no avail. Would finishing polish and finishing pad produce a different result?

GSKR
10-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Start with the least aggressive,apply a light compound or polish available at any auto parts store polish with pipe cold and by hand if no results then Google a reputable detailer in your area and see what they can do.

Rsurfer
10-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Never would imagine that alcohol would do that to carbon fiber. Could it be a coating that is applied for heat resistance that reacts with alcohol?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-26-2015, 04:19 PM
I actually applied a coat of Turtle Wax Ice shortly afterward, to no avail. Would finishing polish and finishing pad produce a different result?

Turtle wax Ice is just a wax as far as I know.

A finishing polish will yield a different result. What machine and pads do you have on hand?

Karl Hungus
10-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Turtle wax Ice is just a wax as far as I know.

A finishing polish will yield a different result. What machine and pads do you have on hand?

No machines, no pads. I haven't done anything beyond waxing since auto shop in high school. The affected area is just a few square inches, so whatever needs to be done (that I'm able to do) I can do by hand. I imagine polishing wax and polishing cloths are available at any Auto Zone?

GSKR
10-26-2015, 04:32 PM
I would back off from a machine if he is not getting any kind of results from the oily turtle wax ,try a light compound nothing with silicone ,was the pipe hot or warm when you wiped the exhaust with alcohol?

Karl Hungus
10-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Never would imagine that alcohol would do that to carbon fiber. Could it be a coating that is applied for heat resistance that reacts with alcohol?

I don't know what it is, but I was absolutely shocked that it affected it this way. I doubt it's a heat resistance thing; even after riding for an extended period, you can wrap your hand around the exhaust. That's how cool it is.

FUNX650
10-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Instead of all of this fiddle-fartin' around:

I'd personally contact Yoshimura-RD
and ask for their expert advice regarding
proper care/repair(?) of their CF-exhaust
systems' components.

Bob

Karl Hungus
10-26-2015, 05:51 PM
. . . was the pipe hot or warm when you wiped the exhaust with alcohol?

That's the funny thing - this pipe stays cool even after extended running. I can't imagine heat is a factor at all here.

AnthonyGXP
10-26-2015, 07:41 PM
You need an abrasive set, which is found in a compound or polish, to even try to remove this damage. Most waxes are non-abrasive, therefore will do you no good on this damage.