PDA

View Full Version : Pad washing time frame

rcoops77
10-26-2015, 04:01 AM
Hi all,

Not sure if it's a silly question but I have about 8 pads from a one step polishing session that need cleaning. Its looking like it'll be a few days before I can get them cleaned with a pad washer.

Should I be worried about leaving it a few days before cleaning pads??

Will the pad condition be deteriorated from spent product and paint etc. being left on a few days??

Thanks in advance!! 38244

LSNAutoDetailing
10-26-2015, 05:36 AM
The sooner the better, but no you wont have a problem.
I use the XMT Pad Cleaner liberally, brush them with a pad brush, then I rinse them thoroughly, put them back on the DA (away from any cars) and run the DA at #6.

I've gone a few days with mine, they clean up nicely.

KS_Detailing
10-26-2015, 06:59 AM
I always soak them in a bucket of apc over night. So if I cant get to them for a day or 2 atleast they are soaking

scrubs147
10-26-2015, 07:39 AM
The longer you wait, the more difficult it is to get them clean. I would never place them overnight in a bucket to soak for fear of the Velcro backing coming loose.

I think the pad washers are a waste of money because you can get them cleaner, faster by doing them by hand.

mwoolfso
10-26-2015, 07:42 AM
You may wind up leaving polish/product stains on the pads by waiting but that in itself doesn't affect it's performance in a large way. I have gone weeks between usage and cleaning. For waxes and sealants I clean immediately.

parttimer
10-26-2015, 07:52 AM
For sure what scrubs said, you can get the velcro to remove easily if you do that. I have gone over a week without cleaning mine, they came out just fine. My process is spray each with diluted 505 and scrub with a finger nail brush, after that toss in machine washer set to delicate and warm water. I found my hot water to be TOO hot and will delaminate the pads in the washer.

KS_Detailing
10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
I've had no issues with the Velcro coming off

parttimer
10-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Lucky man, I have tossed about 20 white hybrid pads this year from failing velcro. Could be my wash water as well, I have my tank set at the hottest temp.

dlc95
10-26-2015, 09:12 AM
I spray them down with pad cleaner, and toss them in with the "used" bin until I can get home to clean them. Sometimes I've had them sit for a couple days until I could get to them. I also try to get to my wax/sealant pads immediately though.

dcjredline
10-26-2015, 09:26 AM
I ALWAYS let mine soak overnight for every cleaning (about 4-6 a year) and have not had any Velcro problems at all.

Paul A.
10-26-2015, 05:14 PM
I also soak mine overnight and have never had any velcro failure issues. I like to keep them wet while waiting to clean them the next day. I don't think you will have any issues with waiting a week to clean them, though. Like previously suggested, you might not get them 100% clean again but that won't hurt performance.

rcoops77
10-29-2015, 01:06 AM
Well I soaked for a few hours then ran the pads through the pad washer. The results were good