PDA

View Full Version : Waxes, Glazes, Sealants

DarrylR
10-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Sorry guys but it seems the more I read the less I know. My friends consider me anal about my vehicles and then I come here and realize how little I know. But I'm good at buying stuff. :)
I typically do the following:
Wash with wolfgang
Clay
Apply sealant; Wolfgang 3.0
Wax - generally Soveran but considering others.

With my spouse's white vehicle I often forget the wax and just use sealant.

Am I missing a step in between?

Should I be using a glaze? Polish? If so Klase or other?

TIA!!

MrOneEyedBoh
10-25-2015, 11:04 AM
You would use a glaze if you see fine swirls/marring. Then apply for lsp.

You would use a polish to remove those imperfections. A polish is generally for light imperfections.

I used to be in the double coat/LSP following, but found it just takes longer for nothing really. I'll still do it if I'm bored, or just want to try a new combo. I have topped WDGPS with fuzion and it does give it a bit of a different look, but just not worth the extra steps IMO

I'm just a Joe schmo, my truck is almost 10 years old and I use Poorboys stuff because its insensitive to sunlight. I don't have a fully 100% shaded spot to polish my truck at. Poorboys works, that's it.

This is PB ssr1 with WDGPS 3.0. This is my daily driver.

http://i.imgur.com/S2qcYd4.jpg

KBsToy
10-25-2015, 12:07 PM
On a white car use Iron X it will remove the contaminates. Use it after washing and before claying...

This from a owner of 2 white cars :)

Desertnate
10-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Wash with wolfgang
Clay
Apply sealant; Wolfgang 3.0
Wax - generally Soveran but considering others.

For basics that isn't bad, but it won't "deep clean" or correct the paint.

With my spouse's white vehicle I often forget the wax and just use sealant.

You're using a good sealant. Unless you're going after a certain look, waxing on top of a sealant isn't a necessity.

Am I missing a step in between?

Should I be using a glaze? Polish? If so Klase or other?

TIA!!

I would say use a glaze OR polish. A glaze will fill in the swirls and imperfections and hide them for a while. A polish will get some of them out and really give the paint a cleaner/deeper look.

On a white car that has been maintained well, you may not need to go all-out to get the look your after. Simply hitting it with a good polish like HD Speed or Adapt, Meguiars Ultimate Polish, Menzerna 4000, or many other light/medium polishes, may do the trick.

I noticed you mention Klasse. Klasse AIO is not an abrasive polish, but more of a chemical cleaner with a little sealant added in. Since you've already got the Wolfgang sealant, the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze might be worth trying. It appears to be a hybrid product which acts as a glaze AND a mild polish.