PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 21 w 5 inch backing plate?

Lambo1
10-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Anyone using 5" backing plate on their 21?Wanting to try this setup.Whats everyone's input?Does it still stall out or not as bad?Thanks

RPM_BR
10-24-2015, 06:52 AM
Anyone using 5" backing plate on their 21?Wanting to try this setup.Whats everyone's input?Does it still stall out or not as bad?Thanks

I did it, for a while, so I could use 5,5 and 6 pads.

It becomes more aggressive, it stalls less, but I think it is too much, it somewhat loses the finesse of the 21.

It seems that the 5 inch plate was indeed especifically made for the 15, more appropriate, I changed back to 6 inch backing plate and never went back.

It sure is a different feeling, not like when you change the 3401 6 inch original plate for the LC 4 inch, and you feel like it was really made for it, probably because the long 21mm throw is less forgiving regarding tweaking.

My setup ended up with a PC with a 3 inch plate, a 3401 with a 4 inch plate to be used with LC hybrids, a PE14 with 5 inch and sometimes 6 inch plate, and a 21 with the original 6 inch plate and 7 inch Rupes pads and 6,5 inch hybrid pads. Ops, and LC HDs.

The Rupes system seems a more closed system, where you need more machines to cover the entire range of polishing needs. Even the pads are harder, like the UHS pads and the cutting pads, probably because the long throw means less contact of the foam with the panel, so they have to stiff it up the pads to compensate it. My personal opinion, of course. Rupes is like Apple.

Flex, on the other hand is a more versatile machine, it can take it all, forced rotation and a smaller throw is more forgiving regarding changing plates, foam densities, styles, products. It is more like Windows.

My two cents. :-)

Jomax
10-24-2015, 12:49 PM
I've used the 5in on my rupes since they were first released. Never looked back. I don't find it at all hard to control.

Billy Baldone
10-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Used it primarilly on an XJL yesterday no issues. I did go to my Flex on some of the curves though