PDA

View Full Version : all Orange or Orange and white??

SeanChav
10-21-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna start doing little details on the side for family and friends soon and was wondering on which pads I should get for AIO jobs....I will mostly be doing exterior work and light interior work like vacuuming, windows and cleaning/dressing....for my AIO I will be using HD speed and I was planning on getting a few LC Orange and White pads to start....and most the cars I'll be working on will be newer Chevy's and VWs

I have a gg6 with 5" BP and aren't really interested with working with MF pads at the moment

FinishingTouchA
10-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Definitely get both orange and white. White for when you're working on soft and/or black paint.

custmsprty
10-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Get both, at least 6 of each color. The more you rotate them the longer they last, the less you rotate them the more you abuse them the shorter they last and in the long run you spend more money on pads. The foam also breaks down more quickly from excessive heat build up and extended use.

SeanChav
10-21-2015, 09:40 PM
Definitely get both orange and white. White for when you're working on soft and/or black paint.

ok cool thx, that's what I was thinking but wanted to hear from some more experienced ppl first

SeanChav
10-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Get both, at least 6 of each color. The more you rotate them the longer they last, the less you rotate them the more you abuse them the shorter they last and in the long run you spend more money on pads. The foam also breaks down more quickly from excessive heat build up and extended use.

I was planning on just getting the 6 pack (3 Orange 3 White) for now....its just gonna be something I do here and there, maybe a couple cars a month.... but if I find myself getting busier then I will definitely pick up some more pads

ski2
10-22-2015, 02:51 AM

What custmsprty said!! You might want to take a look at the Buff & Shine 5.5" flat pads. Very durable and they have a recessed Velcro adding more safety when polishing around protruding objects like mirrors etc. Their reds are also great for applying LSPs. The yellows also cut very, very well and finish surprisingly well for the occasions when you have some deeper RIDS.

dlc95
10-22-2015, 10:56 AM
I always liked the white LC polishing foam with my preferred aio. The Crimson, and Tangerine Hydrotech pads also do a great job.

If I don't need as much muscle, the grey, or red B&S, or LC foam work great.

dcjredline
10-22-2015, 01:18 PM
I have to agree BOTH for sure lotsa both

fly07sti
10-22-2015, 03:04 PM
I agree with everyone here. Get both. You just never know, especially if a vehicle has had some paint work done. Could have hard and soft panels.
On side note though, been loving the new burgundy Meg's thin foam pads. They cut great and finish very nice as well, even on soft Honda paint.

SeanChav
10-22-2015, 03:27 PM
I agree with everyone here. Get both. You just never know, especially if a vehicle has had some paint work done. Could have hard and soft panels.
On side note though, been loving the new burgundy Meg's thin foam pads. They cut great and finish very nice as well, even on soft Honda paint.

yea the plan is for both, and I totally agree on the Meg's thin cutting disc.... I used them for the first time this past week and I almost was just gonna skip polishing cuz they finished soo well

Coopers ST
12-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Another vote for both. I have 12 orange some flat, hex, some wave face. I have 6 white in flat and hex, two blue flats, and two black flats

ski2
12-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I was planning on just getting the 6 pack (3 Orange 3 White) for now....its just gonna be something I do here and there, maybe a couple cars a month.... but if I find myself getting busier then I will definitely pick up some more pads

It's not a matter of how many cars you do that dictates how many pads you should have per step--it's the fact that even with cleaning on the fly the pads become saturated with spent polish and clear coat. This makes them less effective--potentially imparting new marring in the paint and a tendency to over heat.

Here's an article by Mike Phillips addressing the issue:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

SeanChav
12-09-2015, 12:25 AM
quote=ski2;1324398]It's not a matter of how many cars you do that dictates how many pads you should have per step--it's the fact that even with cleaning on the fly the pads become saturated with spent polish and clear coat. This makes them less effective--potentially imparting new marring in the paint and a tendency to over heat.

Here's an article by Mike Phillips addressing the issue:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html[/quote]

Threads a little old now, but I think I'm covered now on pads :xyxthumbs:
And I'll be ordering a 3" plate and pad combo soon as well

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg520/SStripped/20151201_151055.jpg (http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/SStripped/media/20151201_151055.jpg.html)