PDA

View Full Version : Dog scratch on car

manish123
10-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Hello
I have a long dog scratch on my car. However it is so deep that the primer is exposed. Should I repaint the wings or can I use some touch up paint.
Thanks.

alpha
10-20-2015, 11:01 PM
How long? And how wide? Any pics?

manish123
10-21-2015, 01:25 AM
It's been 2 weeks.

AGOatemywallet
10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Pictures please

Include close-ups

4u2nvinmtl
10-21-2015, 02:48 PM
I recommend trimming the dogs nails and use a file so they aren't so sharp next time.

Pictures?

manish123
11-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Here are pictures

manish123
11-02-2015, 04:05 AM
Pictures of the scratch

manish123
11-02-2015, 04:06 AM
Your recommendation would me most welcome

manish123
11-02-2015, 04:06 AM
Also if you could provide some sources where I could buy the product

richy
11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Repainting should always be the last option IMO. I'd order some Dr. Colorchip and have at it. If you can't live with how it looks, then you can always paint it afterward.

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-repair.html)

manish123
11-02-2015, 01:27 PM
What kit should I buy

manish123
11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Any idea how should I begin,it's my first time.

roguerobot
11-02-2015, 02:12 PM
First, you should try to remove as much of the scratch as possible. Can't tell from the pics, but it might not be that deep. You can try Meguir's ScratchX 2.0, rubbing hard to see if you can eliminate the scratch. If that doesn't work, you can try Meguir's Ultimate Compound, which is a bit stronger. If you have a dual action polisher, it will work much better.

After these attempts, the scratch might be too deep, or perhaps cuts into the primer or metal itself. In this case, you simply need some touch up paint. The suggestion was to purchase a basic Dr Colorchip kit. This is because they are really foolproof, and will look nice when done, as opposed to typical touchup paint, which tends to look clumpy and uneven, often not much better than the scratch.

irvsmith
11-02-2015, 03:43 PM
First, you should try to remove as much of the scratch as possible. Can't tell from the pics, but it might not be that deep. You can try Meguir's ScratchX 2.0, rubbing hard to see if you can eliminate the scratch. If that doesn't work, you can try Meguir's Ultimate Compound, which is a bit stronger. If you have a dual action polisher, it will work much better.

After these attempts, the scratch might be too deep, or perhaps cuts into the primer or metal itself. In this case, you simply need some touch up paint. The suggestion was to purchase a basic Dr Colorchip kit. This is because they are really foolproof, and will look nice when done, as opposed to typical touchup paint, which tends to look clumpy and uneven, often not much better than the scratch.

The only thing I might add to RogueRobot's suggestions is to make sure the scratch and surrounding area are clean. In addition to any paint remnants which might on the edge of scratches you want to make sure there are no other bonded surface contaminants which will introduce swirls around the scratches when you use the DA. You should class and then wipe with an IPA solution.

I haven't used the Dr. Color chip but I have head amazing reviews and reports.

irvsmith
11-02-2015, 04:24 PM
The only thing I might add to RogueRobot's suggestions is to make sure the scratch and surrounding area are clean. In addition to any paint remnants which might on the edge of scratches you want to make sure there are no other bonded surface contaminants which will introduce swirls around the scratches when you use the DA. You should class and then wipe with an IPA solution.

I haven't used the Dr. Color chip but I have head amazing reviews and reports.

Pesky auto-correct - You should clay and then wipe with an IPA solution