PDA

View Full Version : Review of McKee's RV UV50 Tire clean and Protect

AttyVette
10-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Since I detailed my travel trailer, using various McKee RV products all during this same detailing event, I am posting each product I used in small segments, in various threads.

The RV UV50 Tire clean and protect product has a strong mint smell too it..at least it smelled minty to me. It has a thick gel like consistency and it conditions the rubber while giving the tire rubber a low gloss sheen. This sheen is suppose to last weeks on the RV tires and it also is suppose to help the tires maintain their flexibility while providing UV protection too. Furthermore, by applying this product regularly to the RV tires, it says it will prevent UV induced cracking and fading. (The product states on the label that it will not sling either).

Now on to my opinion of this product. First of all, I liked the fact this product is marketed as an all in one cleaner and protectant for RV tires. I look for great products that can help make my detailing projects easier and all in one products can sometimes do just that! In my opinion, while I certainly do not try to exclusively buy all in one products, they certainly have a place in a detailers list of detailing products. I was definitely curious to find out if this product will live up to its marketing so I eagerly applied the product to the left rear tire on my travel trailer.

I will freely admit that I am still learning what I need to do on various detail projects that I tackle. I had no reference point for learning the correct detailing methods because my father never worked on our cars nor detailed them either. I have an older brother but he was never interested in tinkering with cars or detailing them either. Consequently, I can't explain it but even though I am a woman, I have always loved cars ( particularly sports cars) and enjoyed washing and waxing my family's vehicles when I was growing up. Because of my somewhat limited experience detailing cars, I learned the hard way that just because a product says it's all in one product doesn't make it one. As a result, I have used all in one products that were a total failure so I am always somewhat suspicious whenever a product is marketed as an all in one product.

Back to this uv tire clean and protectant. The information on the label states that it is a silicone free-water based product that contains a gentle blend of cleaners that removes browning caused by exposure to ultra-violet rays. I had always wondered why some tires were an ugly shade of brown instead of a black color. I now realize this was because ultra-violet rays caused the tires to brown.

I cleaned the tire rims using the Waterless Wheel Wash & Polish Tire product before I used the UV 50 Tire clean and protect on the tires. If the tires you are going to clean are dirty and brown, you apply a liberal amount of the product on a microfiber or terry cloth applicator. My tires had browning so I used a microfiber applicator to rub the product around the tires. However, if the tire you are putting the product on is free of browning, then you can apply this product with a foam tire swipe instead. As you apply the product to the tires be sure to watch out for the product pooling in the ribs and grooves of the tires. I had to wipe the excess product in these particular areas of my trailer tires as it did tend to pool in these areas.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38119&d=1445300999

AttyVette
10-19-2015, 07:40 PM
The product went on easily enough and I like the low gloss look it gave the tires. If you want a higher gloss look, you have to add an additional coat of the product to the tires. I added this particular product to both the left side tires on my travel trailer.
I will update this thread ( later on) after the product has been on the tires for awhile. I will see how it hold up to the cooler weather and temperatures that will be headed our way in the upcoming months.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38120&d=1445301318

Ricorocks
10-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Hi Karen,

Nice write up, enjoyed reading & the tires look great!

Take Care
Rico