PDA

View Full Version : Respray Quarter Panel Questions

lfgrdwil1
10-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Hello:

New Accord sedan with paint defect on A-pillar above driver's window. Need to have the quarter panel resprayed.

Questions that would help me out if answered.

- Do they typically respray quarter panel with doors on or off? If the doors are on, this will leave a tape line. If the doors are taken off, the vin sticker is removed, and it is more dissembly/reassembly so more potential for things to go wrong or not get put back just right.

- Is the tape line prone to peel? I have seen this happening on an old used car.

- If the tape line is there, how much is resale value affected assuming they do a great job?

They would remove back bumper, rear headlight, and roof trim.

Thank you for your help.

- Will

Rsurfer
10-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Hello:

New Accord sedan with paint defect on A-pillar above driver's window. Need to have the quarter panel resprayed.

Questions that would help me out if answered.

- Do they typically respray quarter panel with doors on or off? If the doors are on, this will leave a tape line. If the doors are taken off, the vin sticker is removed, and it is more dissembly/reassembly so more potential for things to go wrong or not get put back just right.

- Is the tape line prone to peel? I have seen this happening on an old used car.

- If the tape line is there, how much is resale value affected assuming they do a great job?

They would remove back bumper, rear headlight, and roof trim.

Thank you for your help.

- Will

They should back tape to blend in the tape line.:props:

2black1s
10-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Those questions really need to be asked to the party doing the repair. But working in the body shop business for many years I would answer like this...

Typically a production shop will not do any dis-assembly other than what is absolutely required when repainting.

As for tape lines/edges peeling - only if they do not sand right to the tape line. But this question is really irrelevant... There should be no tape lines evident on a quality repair.

As for tape lines affecting resale value, I guess that depends on who is buying the car. They would for me. A vast majority of buyers won't even notice them.

Finally, without seeing the defect I don't know if this comment is appropriate or not, but here goes anyways... I'd really give some serious thought to the matter before having any repair made. Many minor defects are better left alone. Personally, I would never buy a new car that had any paint defects that were beyond what I could live with. Regardless of the quality of the repair, the repair will never have the same durability as the original finish. So that is strike one. Then you also need to consider the color and texture match. If those are off then the repair might look worse than the defect you currently have. But even they nail the color and texture match, the repair will never have the same durability as the rest of the car, and for that reason I'd be really hesitant to having any repair made.

Have you ever seen a car that exhibits isolated clear coat failure on a single panel or section? If you have, that's a pretty good indication that panel, or section, has been repainted.

GSKR
10-18-2015, 07:34 PM
That really stinks shop around for a quality shop.Maybe u can slip a 50 to the painter.Good luck and make sure the car is covered I see a lot of painters spot prime and the car isn't covered.

7PaintGuns
10-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Most cars have a 1/4" to 1/2" bodyline inside of the door jamb to allow the inner shell and outer skin of the door to sit flush with the 1/4 panel. Most quality body shops will use a "foam" tape along this inner body line to reduce overspray from leaving a hard tape line in the jamb. In your particular case the repair to your vehicle will only have color in the pillar and clear only on the rest of the 1/4. Being only clear, this tape will most likely not leave a paint line. Also, if you do notice a faint tape line, the painter can go back and re-clear just that bodyline by wet sanding, "back taping" and clearing that small portion of the jamb. I do this multiple times a week with fantastic results. Just as a disclaimer I would like to say keeping your oem finish is always the best possible route if the defect is something you can live with.

lfgrdwil1
10-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your replies. I realize factory finish is best, but I've decided after a lot of thought that this just isn't something I can live with.

One shop (well-respected) wants to remove the doors to minimize door jam lines. One of the other best shops in town says while that gives the cleanest result (bye vin sticker), the industry standard is to leave the doors on for the paint work because insurance companies won't pay for the extra labor involved in removing the doors. He says the future durability of the paint work if it is done with the doors on is just fine.

I think I get what you mean about the 1/4" to 1/2" bodyline inside the door jam. Seems like that rubber trim above the driver window will leave a shop cut-off line though. At the base of the door, there is more of a gap for the clear coat to enter and lay down more gradually. I don't understand how they partially reclear that bodyline in the door jam with the door shut against the A-pillar. Such a nightmare.

7PaintGuns
10-19-2015, 08:14 PM
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s668/Trump260Z/20151019_120212_zps3wnbu0bt.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s668/Trump260Z/20151019_120317_zps4usd7dfp.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s668/Trump260Z/20151019_120338_zpszw4ibqks.jpg

The last picture shows the door closed and the gap between the foam tape and the 1/4. I will try and remember to get a finished photo tomorrow.

AGOatemywallet
10-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Great pics

Thanks for the info

lfgrdwil1
10-20-2015, 01:49 AM
Wow, that is awesome. Thanks for posting the pics 7PaintGuns! Does that work similarly for front doors? That seal above the driver's window that goes against the painted door pillar looks like too sharp of a cut-off to do something like that.

3 different body shop opinions:
- one wants to take off the doors and remove all door frame seals - another says it's best to spray with the doors open and everything covered, and warned me that with the door shut, runs might occur
- another wants to spray with the doors on and closed

Will there be zero overspray a good shop? I asked for a guarantee of zero overspray one of the shops hesitated, saying there probably won't be. I am really worried about overspray.

GSKR
10-20-2015, 06:08 AM
A big majority will bs you that's the risk your gonna have to take.If it's a new car and has a paint defect let the dealer take care of it ,if it's not to your satisfaction you will have better chance to dispute the promblem there instead of a body shop and if no luck at dealer you can call corporate and complain that's what I would do good luck.