PDA

View Full Version : Carnuaba wax have a cure time?

AutoApollo
10-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I asked a question back about sealant and its cure time was about 12 hours for bonds to crosslink and whatnot. However, does a paste wax like meguiars gold class paste wax have a cure time too? Aka NOT a sealant

Kamakaz1961
10-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Depends on the wax. Usually, the directions will tell. However, that being said I ran into complete confusion with a wax. The directions stated a wipe on and wipe off wax (WOWO), however, the website said wipe on and let it haze (5 - 10 minute wait). I just did the WOWO and had no issues.

If there are no instructions or not a WOWO wax: I would do the finger swipe test. If the wax comes off easy with a swipe of your finger than it is ready. This method applies to both liquid and paste waxes.

My guess if you wait about 10 - 15 minutes would be a general guess. I hope this helps.

AutoApollo
10-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Depends on the wax. Usually, the directions will tell. However, that being said I ran into complete confusion with a wax. The directions stated a wipe on and wipe off wax (WOWO), however, the website said wipe on and let it haze (5 - 10 minute wait). I just did the WOWO and had no issues.

If there are no instructions or not a WOWO wax: I would do the finger swipe test. If the wax comes off easy with a swipe of your finger than it is ready. This method applies to both liquid and paste waxes.

My guess if you wait about 10 - 15 minutes would be a general guess. I hope this helps.

Not what I meant. That's the drying time which is almost the same for both waxes and sealants. I'm talking about the cure time after wiping off to a nice shine

davidc
10-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Yes there appears to be. This is a copy and paste from Collinites FAQ.
8. Can Collinite auto waxes be layered?

The durability of Collinite waxes means layering is not always necessary, but it continues to be a common practice among Collinite users who prefer extra-thorough coverage. Call us with specific questions about cure times in between applications.

I probably go to the extreme as I wait 12hrs in 100+ temps. Should be baked after that.

Kamakaz1961
10-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Not what I meant. That's the drying time which is almost the same for both waxes and sealants. I'm talking about the cure time after wiping off to a nice shine

Oops sorry. I would generally guess anywhere between 2 - 12 hours. I just refinished my ride this weekend. I put on a sealant (finished at 9PM) and I put on the wax at 5:30am, Same Brand sealant/wax.

That is usually what I do for cure time. On their website the cure time is about 30 Minutes which is not long. But just to be safe I usually apply the next morning.

Other brands may have different times. As for Collinite waxes; which I am not a fan of (BLASPHEMY!!!) I would guess 8 to 12 hours.

I do apologize to any Collinite users in advance by not liking their waxes....just my experience with them.

FUNX650
10-18-2015, 06:08 PM
•I best associate "cure-time" with the much discussed:
cross-linking of polymers...that are constituted within
the realm of the Sealant's/Coatings-categories of LSPs.

•On the other hand (whenever discussing Waxes' cure-times):
-I compare their "curing" to be more in line with a "hardening
process"...a process that results in a Wax forming a "hard shell"
that lays upon a vehicle's paint.
-A "hard shell" that does not actually bond with the paint,
such as Sealant's/Coatings are said to chemically perform.

•Nonetheless (if there are no time constraints):
-I will allot for ~12-24 hour time period for
Waxes to harden (cure).

-Drawing from my experience:
If the Wax does not harden (cure), any additional
coats will not improve the paint's appearance...and:
probably not provide for any extra protection, as well.

Bob

AutoApollo
10-18-2015, 08:07 PM
•I best associate "cure-time" with the much discussed:
cross-linking of polymers...that are constituted within
the realm of the Sealant's/Coatings-categories of LSPs.

•On the other hand (whenever discussing Waxes' cure-times):
-I compare their "curing" to be more in line with a "hardening
process"...a process that results in a Wax forming a "hard shell"
that lays upon a vehicle's paint.
-A "hard shell" that does not actually bond with the paint,
such as Sealant's/Coatings are said to chemically perform.

•Nonetheless (if there are no time constraints):
-I will allot for ~12-24 hour time period for
Waxes to harden (cure).

-Drawing from my experience:
If the Wax does not harden (cure), any additional
coats will not improve the paint's appearance...and:
probably not provide for any extra protection, as well.

Bob

Sounds good to me! Guess I'll be on the safe side and wait 12 hours.

GSKR
10-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Dang you got up 5:30 to wax car props to you my friend.

Kamakaz1961
10-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Dang you got up 5:30 to wax car props to you my friend.

My Father was a Drill Sergeant....I had no choice!! LOL I have gotten so used to waking up so early in the morning because of him! I still think he wakes me up un purpose even in heaven!!!...LOL

BTW, My garage is set up with plenty of lighting so I can detail anytime.

mwoolfso
10-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Hey guys, I asked a question back about sealant and its cure time was about 12 hours for bonds to crosslink and whatnot. However, does a paste wax like meguiars gold class paste wax have a cure time too? Aka NOT a sealant

I am not a chemist, nor an expert.... and there are certain things in any trade that can be over-analyzed. With all due respect to readers and posters alike... this is one of those topics. I do read a lot and consolidate inputs from authoritative and non-authoritative sources.

Here are my own personal guidelines that keeps me from waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.

Manufacturer directions on the product container are general guidelines, but have a lot of weight in answering this question
If the wax is pure carnauba then the cure time = the time spent watching the product haze; I think of this one as a law of nature
If the product has synthetic properties them some cure time would be necessary and that could be anywhere from "immediate" to 5 min. to 12 hours. All synthetics are not equal, which means that not every synthetic wax has polymers that cross-link.

sunday joe
10-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Oops sorry. I would generally guess anywhere between 2 - 12 hours. I just refinished my ride this weekend. I put on a sealant (finished at 9PM) and I put on the wax at 5:30am, Same Brand sealant/wax.

That is usually what I do for cure time. On their website the cure time is about 30 Minutes which is not long. But just to be safe I usually apply the next morning.

Other brands may have different times. As for Collinite waxes; which I am not a fan of (BLASPHEMY!!!) I would guess 8 to 12 hours.

I do apologize to any Collinite users in advance by not liking their waxes....just my experience with them.

No need to apologize for your preference in products. There are too many to like them all.