PDA

View Full Version : Winter washing after Menzerna pl sealant

Jeremy5431
10-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone.

I have looked though the forum and can't seem to find the information I am looking for.

I live in Minnesota and recently detailed my truck with Menzerna pl and put a top coat of pinnacle liquid wax.

I know everyone says hand washing is best and not to use automatic washes.

My question is what do those who live in the northern states do in the winter to wash their cars? Are self serve washes ok? Will the power washers take the sealant off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JHL88
10-17-2015, 08:24 PM
No worries, power washing will not strip any wax, sealant, coating etc. I use the coin-op machines as much as I can in winter.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-18-2015, 12:45 AM
My question is what do those who live in the northern states do in the winter to wash their cars? Are self serve washes ok? Will the power washers take the sealant off?

For winter time maintenance, I will go over to the pay and spray and use the pressure washer and go over the entire vehicle to include a through rinse down of the wheel wells as well as the undercarriage. Then I will come home and give it a wash via a warm rinseless wash.

A pressure washer will not remove Menzerna PowerLock.

hoyt66
10-18-2015, 05:20 AM
For winter time maintenance, I will go over to the pay and spray and use the pressure washer and go over the entire vehicle to include a through rinse down of the wheel wells as well as the undercarriage. Then I will come home and give it a wash via a warm rinseless wash.

A pressure washer will not remove Menzerna PowerLock.

Same for me. If you go early enough to the pay and spray (when there's no line) you can bring a bucket of rinseless with you. Something like this filled with your choice of rinseless
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/5-gallon-wash-bucket-combo-clear-7.gif

Britsdaddy
10-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Once the coin wash gets closed due to being too cold out, I'll pre-treat the car with rinseless from a 2-gallon pump sprayer, then perform a rinseless wash.

Mantilgh
10-18-2015, 07:13 AM
I assume you guys are just talking about using just the rinse setting at the wash and not the soap setting. Correct?

I would think that the soaps are pretty aggressive like they say the touch-less washes are.

hoyt66
10-18-2015, 07:31 AM
I assume you guys are just talking about using just the rinse setting at the wash and not the soap setting. Correct?

I would think that the soaps are pretty aggressive like they say the touch-less washes are.

Yes. Just the high pressure rinse.

Jeremy5431
10-18-2015, 11:27 AM
So what rinseless wash do people recommend? Also when using a rinseless wash in the winter does the paint need to be warmed or can it be cold?

I have a forced air heater so the air is warm but it doesn't warm objects very quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ski2
10-18-2015, 11:35 AM
I've done rinseless washes down to about 35 degrees, but in the sun--working in small sections--wash and immediately dry.

After years of using ONR switched to Ultimate Waterless Wash+ (mixed 1 oz in 3 gallons of water)--find it to clean better and be much slicker during the wash and after drying. And it doesn't stain your wash mitts.

Britsdaddy
10-18-2015, 11:57 AM
I don't know what temperature my garage is but I've done rinseless washes when there was still ice on the paint. I normally do a two bucket wash, using the hottest water I can get. The vehicle gets a pretreatment using the pump sprayer, which also has hot water in it. Go slow, let the hot water melt anything that is frozen to the paint, and work and dry small sections at a time. I've used QEW and switched to ONR years ago.
One thing that I've noticed is you use a lot more drying towels in the winter. My wife's car which I can dry with one towel in the summer will need two, and my truck which normally needs two towels will need almost 4.
Make sure that you are keeping your hands DRY. Get some gloves that will go high up your arm so you can dunk your wash media in the bucket and still not get wet. I got some rubber ones at the Depot for like $6.

Jeremy5431
10-18-2015, 02:28 PM
So if I have a lot of salt on the can I can pre treat the panels, then wash as described above.

So what about the underbody? I have always gone through an automated car wash to get get the underbody clean.

FUNX650
10-18-2015, 03:02 PM
So if I have a lot of salt on the can I can pre treat the panels, then wash as described above.

So what about the underbody? I have always gone through an automated car wash to get the underbody clean.

Try to use one that's: Brushless...

I keep in mind that road-"salts" are some
of a vehicle's most steadfast enemies.

Getting it off my vehicles is my #1
priority..."Shining-up" corroded, yet:
swirl-free panels come Spring-time is not.

That also means I sometimes must use
what I deem necessary for its removal;
not always what may be considered to
be: OCD-correct.

Bob

AutoApollo
10-18-2015, 04:13 PM

So what about the underbody? I have always gone through an automated car wash to get get the underbody clean.

Going to the self serve ones are fine but I'm kinda iffy on using their "soap brush" cause that will most likely scratch your paint, ruining all your hard work. Using the pressure washer is fine though...don't spray near the ground so that dirt/rocks flings up and scratches your paint

Britsdaddy
10-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Winter is a bear to deal with if you an AG member. There's only so much you can do with the resources available. I try to stick to the coin-op ones until they get shut down. The automatic touchless ones are only good if they spray underneath your vehicle.

FocusSTguy
10-18-2015, 08:29 PM
So what rinseless wash do people recommend? Also when using a rinseless wash in the winter does the paint need to be warmed or can it be cold?

I have a forced air heater so the air is warm but it doesn't warm objects very quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like UWW+ for riseless washing.

I do a combination of rinseless and touchless in the winter. If I had a pressure wash I would use that then follow it up with a rinseless wash. Since I don't I have to hit the coin op, spray the car down then drive it to the shop I work at to wash the car. The paint is still cold when I wash it and haven't had any problems. If the car is really dirty and to clean the underbody I stop at a touchless car wash every couple of weeks.