PDA

View Full Version : Stained external trim piece

Bus_Driver
10-17-2015, 01:26 PM
2002 Chevy Silverado. On the top of a few trim pieces, it has some type of contaminant that has been very difficult to remove. If I had to guess, it seems like shipping tape/film used for scratch protection, that was left on for years and was melted by outside exposure. I don't know the history, because it is a friend's truck that she got from her father after he passed away.

I've tried:
Griots Clay. It was no match. Clay pieces stuck to the trim.
Nanoskin pad. Almost ruined the pad.
Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion with a mf applicator.
FG 400 with an mf applicator.
APC+ D103 and let dwell for a minute and brush with a nylon brush.
wet sanding with sanding pads that come with headlight restore kit.

The APC and wet sanding combo seemed to do the best, but it would take me a couple of hours to do a 1 foot section, and not completely sure I would be able to remove all of it.

How long can I let the APC dwell on the paint?

Anything else I should try?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/49582/truck_FullContaminant.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/49582/truck_HalfContaminant.JPG

irvsmith
10-17-2015, 01:44 PM
IronX? What type of material is it?

StangFan25
10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Looks like rust to me

DaveT435
10-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Looks like rust to me

Especially with the results you've been getting with the products you've used.

The Guz
10-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Looks like rust to me

Yeah it sure does.

One option would be to remove the molding and have a cleaner look.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/753/2629/39381314001_large.jpg?v=0

Bus_Driver
10-17-2015, 02:29 PM
It's painted plastic, but feels like it has a rubber coat on it. I don't have iron-x. I also tried griots paint prep, but that had no effect either.

It's almost like layers of sap because it's a little sticky and I can scrape some off with my finger nail. It's weird that it's only the bed section and not the door. The driver side has a little lighter coat and it's not brown in color.

GSKR
10-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Is it dry looking and weathered more than likely need paint ,I've done silverados step one bleach or try a very little spot of thinner.Dont spray apc on it you will have bigger problems .A lot of these questions can't give a definitive answer from a pic.Try what I said but don't be aggressive with it good luck.

Bus_Driver
10-17-2015, 08:35 PM
I put some mineral spirits on a cloth and rubbed. No change and nothing showed on the cloth. I didn't spray apc. I put it on a my towel.
Also, the truck bed has a painted fiber-glass cover that has severe clear coat failure and the trim pieces with the "stain" are below the cover and the 6 inch cab section. The trim on the doors is fine.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/49582/truck9.JPG

AnthonyGXP
10-17-2015, 09:01 PM
ALL of the Silverado's this age that I've detailed have extremely weathered trim pieces that look like yours and most even worse.

I think it's just GM's bad design of painted plastic with little to no clear coat.

I would ABSOLUTELY go for the clean look and just remove them if you can. Trust me, they're only going to get worse! I've seem them peel and the plastic underneath start to turn yellowish.

asianisafish
10-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Looks like rust..? We had a similar thing on my dad's hummer on the steps. I think we used turtle wax chrome polish or something like that. It removes rust on metal so I guess you could try metal polish or never dull if you wanted

AnthonyGXP
10-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Looks like rust..? We had a similar thing on my dad's hummer on the steps. I think we used turtle wax chrome polish or something like that. It removes rust on metal so I guess you could try metal polish or never dull if you wanted

These trim pieces are PLASTIC. Where would the rust be coming from? Never observed plastic rust.

I've seen dozens of these older model trucks with the same issue! The plastic is just weather beaten from the sun and elements.

asianisafish
10-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Okay maybe it's not rust since it's plastic. Probably just corrosion of the material or whatever. I was just giving a suggestion to remove the damage since the OP has been trying lots of different methods

Bus_Driver
10-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll revisit the issue later, and just accept AnthonyGXP idea of crappy trim pieces since its either on the whole trim piece or none.

ALL of the Silverado's this age that I've detailed have extremely weathered trim pieces that look like yours and most even worse.

I think it's just GM's bad design of painted plastic with little to no clear coat.

I can't remove the pieces since its not my truck and I'm not getting paid to detail it. My friend keeps it at my house and let's me drive it. I'm not a truck person, I drive a gen1 MINI Cooper, but it is a really nice truck. I'm thinking, she keeps it for sentimental reasons and I figured why not clean it up for her (and me).

Thanks.