PDA

View Full Version : Power of the Rupes LHR 21ES

Jaretr1
10-16-2015, 12:12 PM
The other day I went over to a friends house to help him polish his van.

He has I think the first generation Griots random orbit polisher. Griots sold that polisher with a 6" backing plate and 6.5" pads. I am not sure if his machine is particularly weak, broken, or it is just the way they are, but it can hardly spin 6" pad at all. With even the slightest pressure the pad stopped spinning. Its basically useless.

I use a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads on my Rupes. For giggles, I put one of his 6.5" pads on my machine to see how it would handle it. NO PROBLEM! I was able to work that thick 6.5" pad with lots of pressure and it never stopped spinning!!

For those that place so much emphasis on wattage of a motor, it is really more about overall design of the tool than output watts of the motor. I have to say, I am very pleased with my Rupes so far!

ski2
10-16-2015, 01:24 PM
There must be something wrong with your friends GG6 or it is their 1st generation machine as my 2nd gen machine can spin a 6.5" backing plate and pad with no problem even under considerable pressure. With a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads it's almost unstopable on speed 5-6 even on concave surfaces.

I believe the 1st gen GG6 did not have a backing plate that could be switched to a 5".

RaskyR1
10-16-2015, 02:19 PM
There must be something wrong with your friends GG6 or it is their 1st generation machine as my 2nd gen machine can spin a 6.5" backing plate and pad with no problem even under considerable pressure. With a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads it's almost unstopable on speed 5-6 even on concave surfaces.

I believe the 1st gen GG6 did not have a backing plate that could be switched to a 5".

This^^^

The 2nd Gen+ GG6 is a beast and is far, far less likely to stall with 5" pads compared to a Rupes or other large throw machine.

dlc95
10-16-2015, 09:40 PM
I had one of the first gen gg6 machines...

It went back on ebay hours after I received it...