PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Meg's #80 from single stage before sealant?

Linneo
10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
I´m working on a single stage red 1990 BMW.
This is a very soft paint that is quite neglected.
Following Mike's advice on restoring single stage paint, I'm buffing with Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze and a Porter Cable 7424xp. Results look quite good. Some random isolated scratches still remain but I will leave them to preserve paint thickness.

After buffing I will be sealing the paint. My first try will be 3D HD Poxy.

The problem is that this paint is very soft. Even being very careful, when wiping off the #80's residues with a clean microfiber, it looks almost impossible to completely remove them without inflicting some minor light scratches. Then dry cleaning with a microfiber is not the way to go.

So my questions are:
1) How "clean" and "#80 residues free" must the paint be before applying the sealant?
2) What is the best way to clean the paint and remove the buffing residues? Quick detailer, Waterless, IPA?

I'm feeling a little frustrated here, so any advice will be very grateful!

BillyJack
10-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Similar questions have been asked on the Meguiar's forum over the years and the folks there maintain that the oils in some of the old-school Meg's products don't affect bonding of LSP's. If you prefer to do a cleaning step, I recommend taking advantage of the lubrication properties of a QD that cleans but leaves nothing behind, such as Meg's #34 Last Touch or diluted Meg's D114, which is what I use.

Bill

FUNX650
10-16-2015, 11:59 AM
So my questions are:
1) How "clean" and "#80 residues free" must the paint be before applying the sealant?
2) What is the best way to clean the paint and remove the buffing residues? Quick detailer, Waterless, IPA?

•Sounds like the paint should be "clean and dry":
-Free from having any and all of M80's residues.

•And, IMO, that's: Too bad.
-That SS paint, more than likely, needs
the benefits of M80's polishing oils.

•With that in mind, I, personally:
-Would not try to remove all of the M80,
before applying HD Poxy; or:
-Use a different Sealant---one from
Meguiar's lineup.

HD Poxy - Paint protection Wax Usage Instructions:

Directions:

•Shake Well Before Use.

•Apply HD Poxy to a clean, dry finish.

•Pre-treat with HD UNO to remove oxidation,
scratches, scuffs, swirl marks, and dullness.

HD POXY can be applied by hand or machine.

Properly applied using a DA polisher, a single
ounce of product is all that's required to wax
a mid-size vehicle.

Do not over-apply this product as it will make
buffing off more difficult and will not increase
the shine or protection.

Apply the thinnest coating possible to the whole
car and allow product to bond to the surface for
at least 15-20 minutes before buffing off with a
clean, soft microfiber towel. It can be left on for
up to 24 hours and should wipe cleanly.

For increased shine and durability, a second coat
of HD POXY can be applied after 12 hours.

Bob

jrs1418
10-16-2015, 12:39 PM
I like to top SS paints with a double layer of Klasse HGSG

GSKR
10-16-2015, 05:22 PM
I did a black 3 series trashed oxidized single stage.Its hard to describe a process over the forum single stage can be finicky to work with,you can spit on the paint and it will oxidize.Some single stage paints require different products sometimes empty the van.The best single stage factory paint is Mercedes Benz .I wouldn't bang you're head just make better .If it's left outside and rain hits it you will get quarter size stains on hood and trunk ,so don't go crazy.

Linneo
10-16-2015, 11:28 PM
I think I will try Meguiar's # 21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. It's quite expensive here but I don't seem to have lots of other options. It also does not have much durability. Some people say it lasts only 3 months.
Will also get # 34 to do some cleaning for inspecting my results.
Klasse looks fantastic, but I can't find it in Argentina. A pity.
I will let you know tomorrow my results. Will take some pictures.

Any more ideas will be wellcome.

Mike Phillips
10-17-2015, 06:05 AM
So my questions are:

I'm feeling a little frustrated here, so any advice will be very grateful!

Don't worry about removing 100 percent of the polishing oils. In fact just aim for like 90 to 95 percent and move on to the waxing or sealing step.

I've done this thousands of times and it's a non-issue, especially when working on single stage paint. Any trace residues of the polishing oils will be removed when you remove the sealant.

Pictures?

:xyxthumbs:

GSKR
10-17-2015, 09:07 AM
yes on single stage never take away just add ,it's a whole different ball game when you come across these paint systems good luck

Linneo
10-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for your help.
Here are some pictures of the hood.

As you can see, this car's paint has been really neglected by it's previous owner. It was very oxidized, had a lot of swirls and RIDS, and was very rough to the touch. I will have to repaint this car eventually, and I'm pretty sure some panels have been resprayed.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/318i_001_1280.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/318i_002_1280.jpg

I took the first test spot, and I found that #80 was too light. So I decided to do a short 1st step with 3D HD Adapt and an orange pad.
But first I soaked the entire hood in #80 and left it overnight.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/318i_003_1280.jpg

As a 2nd step, a white pad and #80 did a great job removing almost every swirl and notably reviving this paint.
Some RIDS are still visible but I decided to leave them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/318i_005_1280.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/318i_006_1280.jpg

As a last step, I sealed with Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. Very easy to apply with a grey finishing pad and really easy to remove.

The results are very nice, but now I realize I didn't take a good picture of the finished job.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/318i_007_1280.jpg

I'm very satisfied with the results, considering this is the first panel I have ever completed. I've started with one of my ohter cars but couldn't go on, and when I recently found this Right Hand Drive E30, I knew this one had to go first!

I have to wait until next weekend to continue with the rest of the car. But I'm starting to feel more comfortable now.
This will be fun!

dlc95
10-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Looks really nice!