PDA

View Full Version : Needing some help PLEASE

my01ws6
10-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Ive been detailing my personal vehicles and friends vehicles for awhile now. I am now starting to get into some mobile detailing and have been testing different products and what not.

Im trying to correct the paint on a 2005 Hyundai Elentra. The paint is in horrible condition. LOTS and LOTS of scratches, scuffs, swirls and the clear was oxidized as well.

Im using a pretty old PC7424 its about 10 years old but still going strong. Im using Meguiars D105 and D151 on a orange Lake Country CSS pad.

Ive never used either product before. I started off the with the D151 on a speed of 6 and first thing I noticed was it was dusting like CRAZY by my second pass the polish was turning hard and dusting bad. I tried spray waxes, different detail sprays, XMT pad conditioner everything I could think of.

The D105 was the same way. Dusting like crazy. The scratches were barely coming out. At least not like I expected them to come out. The first pass with the D151 it did take out A LOT of the oxidation and come of the swirls. Id say about 40% of them.

Even after going over the same area with D105 about 4 different times only 80% of the scratches were gone.

Any ideas for the problems Im having?? Ill post pics below and sorry for the long post!

DragonHawk
10-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Meg's is known for dusting a lot and it's not sun friendly, hopefully you aren't doing this on a hot surface. Eighty percent isn't bad to be honest, can you do better? Probably but you've always got to keep realistic expectations. Some pictures would be helpful. The pads you use are just as important as your compound. Have you tried microfiber pads?

my01ws6
10-15-2015, 09:52 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/my01ws6/20151011_160442_zpsfuecvcve.jpg

Hood after D151 Still A LOT of scratches and swirls

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/my01ws6/20151011_122151_zps6yeoe2qp.jpg

I tried doing D151 on the hood 4 different times in one spot and it never seemed to get any better. The next day I tried D105 on the trunk lid and each time I did a pass it got better and better. I got it to about 80% in my eyes after polishing and wiping 3 different times.I still need to go over it with the D151 to get rid of the micro swirls. This would take FOREVER to do the entire car. I spent 5 hours just washing claying and polishing with D151. Since Im going to be doing this on the side and time is money I need to find a more efficient way to get the results I want.

My concern is this.....If Im going to be doing this semi professionally I dont think my PC is going to cut it. Either that or maybe Im not doing something right or using the right stuff. I dont know the back of the PC was getting pretty hot but the pad wasnt. I was outside but in complete shade. I definitely do not like the dusting.

Maybe my pads are bad or something? I dont know I tried 2 different orange pads both the same results. I have not had a chance to try any microfiber pads yet. Im just now starting to get back into all this detailing again and there are a lot of new products and advancements. I bought pretty much all meguiares professional line to get started.

-What would you guys recommend that has next to no dust?

-Also im torn between the Flex 3401, rupes21 and Griots21, which would you guys recommend?

7PaintGuns
10-15-2015, 10:35 PM
No dusting? Best I've used... 3M Perfect-It EX Rubbing Compound 32 oz. - 36060 (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-36060.html) 3M Perfect-It 3000 Machine Polish, 3M 06064, remove swirl marks, 3M Perfect It Swirl Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-swirl-remover.html). As far as a DA polisher I will honestly say I dont have a clue, I use a DA sander with an interface pad. For normal buffing and polishing I have used a DeWalt DWP849 every day, three to four hours a day, five days a week for 12 years and have only bought two. Neither of these are cheap but could save you a lot of hassle.

my01ws6
10-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Ive thought about a rotary polisher and even looked at the Dewalt you speak of. The only problem is I have 0 experience with a rotary.

DragonHawk
10-15-2015, 10:56 PM
It looks like you've made decent progress. In this case it seems to me you need a more aggressive pad or need to improve your technique. Meg's 105 is the cream of the crop for paint correction. Are you going really slow in straight overlapping passes? You've gotta give your machine enough time to do the work. Down pressure and RPM is a factor also. Ive done some amazing things with a cheap HFT dual action before, I doubt it is your PC. There is a reason why rotary machines are still used, sometimes you just need more heat than a DA can provide. What works on one car doesn't always work on another.

shagnat
10-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Might want to try a yellow pad. They are more aggressive than the orange pad. Also, since this paint is in such horrible condition, you just may have done all you can. As mentioned, some Meguiar's (especially 105) is horrible about dusting and there are tons of posts about how to use 105. It's not an easy polish to use.

AGOatemywallet
10-16-2015, 10:50 PM
I would read every Mike Phillips tutorial 1st and go from there:

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Master the Basics and then build from there

Paul A.
10-17-2015, 10:47 AM
I have used my purple foamed wool pad on my PC with 105 and saw substantial cut effectiveness. That results in quite a bit to clean up with a finer polish after but was a time saver.

I also like misting with distilled water to do 2 things...rework the cut aspect a bit and reduce dusting. I have learned to cover a LOT of the vehicle due to Meg's compounds dusting so much along with a ready to go bucket of ONR for wipedowns after.