PDA

View Full Version : My desire is to get into mobile detailing...PLEASE HELP!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Objective: Launch a successfully mobile detailing business come early 2016 on the side then into full time.

Resources:
Griot's Garage G21 stock 6" BP and 5" BP matched with BOSS PADS including MF pads
Back up GG6
Gold Plush Jr. MF towels
Cobra waffle weave drying towel
carpro glass polishing pad
Meguiar's Ultimate trio
HD SPEED
HD POXY
Griot's Garage interior detailed
Pinnacle ultra clay and clay lubricant
D114
D120
Tire dressing
Sticky residue remover by turtle wax
Bucket with grit guard

I know I'll need more pads and towels

But for now is it unrealistic to start on the side?

What packages and pricing am I looking at?

Also. I need more insight to interior detailing. I plan on getting brushes.

What other things should I invest in (eventually)?

DeansDetailing
10-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Have you looked at the "How to make money detailing cars" forum here?

How many pads do you have in total?

As far as packages/pricing, google your local competition. Hit up all your friends, family and co-workers. Offer a large discount to build your portfolio of work.

Unless you will focus on exteriors only, you should get some interior equipment and supplies. I looked at MANY Show 'n Shine posts and product reviews to narrow down what I got.

I decent consumer grade steamer is something I would stress to get early on. I am very glad I got one initially. Also, the cyclo brushes for interiors...though I'm not sure if they fit your polisher? They are an excellent bang for the buck to be able to power scrub the carpets and upholstery.

But you can certainly start small and work with what you've got. Focus on exteriors only until you can get the interior stuff.

Goin Rogue
10-14-2015, 04:52 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/64194-500-mobile-detailing-startup-simple-walk-through.html

DaveT435
10-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Are you planning on getting a 3" backing plate and pads, or 3 1/2 inch plate with 4" pads for the smaller areas?

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Are you planning on getting a 3" backing plate and pads, or 3 1/2 inch plate with 4" pads for the smaller areas?

Yes that's the plan.

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 05:32 PM
But you can certainly start small and work with what you've got. Focus on exteriors only until you can get the interior stuff.

Do some customers look for exterior work done only?

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Right now I have two of each pads from the Griot's BOSS system including two MF PADS I also have two five inch MF PADS and two FINISHING pads 5" all from the BOSS system as well. I know I will need more. But i figured if I start slow then I'll be doing one car per appointment.

How many show I look into?

DeansDetailing
10-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Do some customers look for exterior work done only?

Sure.

DaveT435
10-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Do you have the innerflex pads? If you use these only use them when working on the curved areas. If you just leave them on they will retain a lot of heat.
On the pads I think I would start with four of each of the foam pads. Maybe 2 of the microfiber. I can't really tell you on the microfiber, for heavier correction I use a rotary and wool.

Some Ceriglass would be good to have for glass polishing also.

DeansDetailing
10-14-2015, 06:20 PM
I'd personally want 6 White and 6 Orange in your system. That BOSS system looks really well thought out. How do you like it?

Edit: The reason I suggest 6 pads is for Trucks/SUV's that's the least I'd use on larger vehicles.

Thing with the pads...you probably can't run out to a store if you find you need more pads. Just saw you have a GG6 as a backup...I guess you have some pads for that?

The reality is you can probably make what you have work.

I'd get a Nanoskin mitt or similar as it's far faster than claying and you can do many cars with one mitt.

If you're on a tight budget, do some cars for a very nominal fee for people you know. Point out what competitors in the area charge so they know they are getting a great deal.

If you can do YOUR car with what you have it follows you can do others. :xyxthumbs:

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Do you have the innerflex pads? If you use these only use them when working on the curved areas. If you just leave them on they will retain a lot of heat.
On the pads I think I would start with four of each of the foam pads. Maybe 2 of the microfiber. I can't really tell you on the microfiber, for heavier correction I use a rotary and wool.

Some Ceriglass would be good to have for glass polishing also.

Ceriglass, check! I have the 6" inner flex as well

2 MF per 5" and 6" set.

My biggest thing is i of course will need more pads, but should I worry about having extra care products like iron x I hear so much about? Is claying after wash sufficient enough before paint corrections?

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 06:28 PM
I currently use d114 as a rinse less. Is that too amateur?

IcingOnTheWhip
10-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Objective: Launch a successfully mobile detailing business come early 2016 on the side then into full time.

But for now is it unrealistic to start on the side?

What packages and pricing am I looking at?

Also. I need more insight to interior detailing. I plan on getting brushes.

What other things should I invest in (eventually)?

Its very possible for you to start on the side. Work around you current life schedule.

Check local competition, determine who you're selling too. That makes a difference of pricing and what packages you would wanna offer.

You need some scrub brushes, APC and/or degreaser, window cleaner, extractor, steamer. If an extractor and steamer are too much to pay right now then a shop vac and some good ol elbow grease will do the job.

GSKR
10-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Maybe a van with some lettering,image is everything and also the quality of work.I know you stated part time,I wouldn't invest heavily in products you are limited when working outside.for the most part you will be doing production detailing .Pinnacle compound and polish work best out doors,and poor boys and a lot of the blackfire products,when you get more experience later on then I would get paint correction pads etc.Stay foam pads,micros gum up real quick outside,eventually you will know what works and what deosnt good luck.

Dan Tran
10-14-2015, 07:37 PM
What's production detailing mean?