PDA

View Full Version : New paint

Jomax
10-13-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm in the process of Restoring my 1999 F-250. Paint is just about done at the body shop. I opted to save money with me sanding it myself so I can put the money towards more clear ( they sprayed 4 thick coats).

I also figured this would be the perfect time for me to get into wet sanding.

I'm not new to sanding, I'm in the construction field and have done my fair share of sanding cabinets, Windows, doors, etc. I also know they are not quite alike...

Tools I have are a dewalt 849x, rupes 21, GG3.

Plan is to cut and buff the truck myself, then when the paint cures, removed all compound marring with polish and apply a coating.

Biggest thing I need help with is, any pointer on what to do and what NOT to do? I have read through as much threads as i could. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

What sandpaper do you guys recommend? What grit steps should I do?

Plan is to made a nice thread of my process from start to finish, picture heavy, and with great detail.

Thanks in advance to all that will help!

Sneak peek

Jomax
10-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Bump 😀

Jomax
10-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Bumper

Hoytman
10-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Jomax,
You may already know that putting wax or sealant on fresh paint isn't good for the paint as it needs time to cure, often 30 days or more. Here are a few new products that will allow you to seal up a fresh paint job. I've never used them for such, but they are advertised to work in this manner, so I thought I'd pass on the information to you.

I don't know what your plans are for sealing the paint after painting and correction and you may even have a place for the truck to sit inside while the paint finishes curing. If so, that is great. If you can't leave the truck inside, and we're getting close to nasty winter months, then there's a few new products I thought I'd mention that can be used to seal up fresh paint. You may already be aware of these type of products, but just in case here is a thread you may want to look into. Take a look at the two products I mentioned in my posts. Both products are safe for use on freshly paint surfaces.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/95765-painter-ohio.html

GSKR
10-14-2015, 06:21 PM
We can't see the paint job.start with the least aggressive method,and work you're way up ,till you achieved desired results.

Jomax
10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm in AZ so the weather is now becoming beautiful.

Is 2000 grit a good starting point? I believe with 2000, a compound will remove the sanding marks.