PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn tar - quicker way?

heckhole
10-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Several roads have been paved in my area recently and I am running into cars with excessive amounts of tar. Next year there is going to be even more road improvements and this needs to be addressed as I won't be getting a break from this any time soon. Today I lost an hour and a half doing removal on a full correction on a hard paint Hyundai. I could only polish for a few minutes at a time before stopping to remove more tar.

I am losing precious time doing tar removal with a combination of a clay bar and tarminator.

I don't have have an hour, sometimes 3, to remove every last bit of tar. It's just not feasible at this point for me.

My options are:

1) Build it into the price of my detail if a correction is requested.

2) Bill it separately, by the hour as it comes off easy, or is a total nightmare.

3) Build it into the price with an acceptable by me tolerance for how much is removed. IE - 1hr spent removing tar, what comes off in that hour comes off. The rest will be 'worked' around as safely as possible.

4) Find a better technique.

I can't afford to continue using tar removal product, as it's not going very far or effective and its not okay not billing it out 100% for materials and additional labor. I have not expirimented with many products, so I'd like to know what others are using to speed up the process and overall success of removal.

I don't like leaving any behind. I have built my reputation from the ground, up. I can't be delivering cars back to Dealers or clients with tar you'll see upon closer inspection.

FUNX650
10-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Give this product a try:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/45470-how-remove-tar-paint.html

Make sure to charge your customers accordingly.

Bob

heckhole
10-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Looks excellent. I will give this a try.

What do you feel is a fair rate for tar removal? By the job? Hourly?

2black1s
10-12-2015, 12:37 AM
Mineral Spirits. Cheap, plentiful and effective.

As for billing, I'd definitely be adding an up-charge to your base price commensurate with the severity of the tar contamination.

rhk531
10-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Just a note on the Carpro Tar-X on clear plastic and acrylic paint
Taken from their website product description....

Precautions and Warnings:
-Do not allow to dry on surface
-Do not use in direct sun or on hot surfaces
-Avoid sensitive clear plastics like headlights and clear bras.
-Headlights can re lightly re-polished but clear bras should be avoided completely,
-Do NOT let dry on plastic or other sensitive materials or possible damage may occur.
-Avoid spraying on acrylic paint surfaces, or poor after market acrylic paint, it may affect that surface and cause a possible bleaching affect.
-Work in a well ventilated area.
-We strongly recommend the used of eye protection, safety gloves and a dedicated face mask while working with any professional car care product.

Rick