PDA

View Full Version : Confused about wax cure time

AutoApollo
10-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Hey guys, so I have a bottle of ultimate liquid wax which went on the car beautifully using my da. Now people say to let it "cure" for 12 hours for maximum bonding. Now does that mean wipe it off after 12 hours?

The Guz
10-11-2015, 07:48 PM
No you don't leave it on for 12 hours. You let it sit for 12 hours after wiping it off. In that time the polymers will crosslink and bond to the paint.

davey g-force
10-11-2015, 08:13 PM
:iagree:

AutoApollo
10-11-2015, 08:17 PM
No you don't leave it on for 12 hours. You let it sit for 12 hours after wiping it off. In that time the polymers will crosslink and bond to the paint.

Perfect, thank you!!

BillE
10-12-2015, 06:56 AM
If you see what looks like 'hazing' during the curing process, don't panic! That's just the results of all the 'magic' that is going on.

If you want to spend the time, you can actually watch the 'hazing' come and go as it cures. Actually kinda cool to see. Yea, I was kinda bored when I was watching it.

Bill

AutoApollo
10-12-2015, 09:32 AM
If you see what looks like 'hazing' during the curing process, don't panic! That's just the results of all the 'magic' that is going on.

If you want to spend the time, you can actually watch the 'hazing' come and go as it cures. Actually kinda cool to see. Yea, I was kinda bored when I was watching it.

Bill

But no need to wipe it again right?

DogRescuer
10-12-2015, 11:25 AM
I think he means b4 you wipe it off but I could be wrong.

BillE
10-13-2015, 07:37 AM

You mean after it's all cured? In that case, no.

Think this way, you apply the "wax", do the "wax" removal, let is cure...all done. The only big difference 'tween using a true wax vs a sealant is the time for it to cure. Make sense?

After everything is all finished, you can do a gentle wipe down with a 'quick-detailer' to remove any dust etc. that may have settled on the vehicle just to make it 'cleaner' looking.

Bill

SwiftTone
02-18-2016, 11:05 AM
So during the curing process, I can drive the car? What happens if it rains and gets wet?

If I want to put another coat the next day, and I've driven it, I just wipe it down (maybe with quick detailer?), then top another coat?

Paul A.
02-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Once you have wiped off the hazed wax you can drive it. Rain, to my knowledge, doesn't inhibit the cure time of carnaubas. Sealants, coatings, hybrid waxes with polymers are inhibited by rain or water period while "curing". From my understanding, rain inhibits the cross linking of the polymers. To my understanding that's not so with natural wax carnaubas. Please correct me folks if i'm wrong here.

In fact, some years ago there were folks who used a "spit shine" technique for straight carnaubas whereby they would wipe off the hazed wax and then spritz cold distilled water on the paint to either hasten the curing or bring more shine (not sure on that). Haven't heard much about that any more and maybe due to carnaubas falling out of favor with all the sealants and coatings available.

Finally, if you have driven the waxed vehicle i would suggest a full wash before adding another layer. I always want the paint as clean as possible before applying any LSP.

SwiftTone
02-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Once you have wiped off the hazed wax you can drive it. Rain, to my knowledge, doesn't inhibit the cure time of carnaubas. Sealants, coatings, hybrid waxes with polymers are inhibited by rain or water period while "curing". From my understanding, rain inhibits the cross linking of the polymers. To my understanding that's not so with natural wax carnaubas. Please correct me folks if i'm wrong here.

In fact, some years ago there were folks who used a "spit shine" technique for straight carnaubas whereby they would wipe off the hazed wax and then spritz cold distilled water on the paint to either hasten the curing or bring more shine (not sure on that). Haven't heard much about that any more and maybe due to carnaubas falling out of favor with all the sealants and coatings available.

Finally, if you have driven the waxed vehicle i would suggest a full wash before adding another layer. I always want the paint as clean as possible before applying any LSP.

Thank you so much. I'm new to detailing so its a slow learning process. I'm planning on using Collinite 476. As far as I can tell, this is actual wax no sealant. Sounds like this will fit my application limitations.